LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New 99 LS Wierd Color Looking for Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-11, 06:38 PM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts
Default New 99 LS Wierd Color Looking for Opinions

Great forum.

I just got this 99 from the first owner's 60 year old son. 130,000mi. Great condition, but wierd color (Antique Sterling Metalic).

I'm not sure how many were made this color, but I've not found one on the picture thread yet.

I just got new OEM floor mats and tomorrow it gets tinted.

Anyways, it has a bit of a pink or purple hue to it, and I'm looking for ways to make it look a bit more bad *** and less grandma. Opinions?
I'm not going to put big wheels and slam the thing, but I might get some Tanabes and Lexus 18s. I also think it's possible that I can't evade the color, and in that case I'll just roll the wheels off it more or less stock.

Also, why did my insurance company (state farm) charge me double (413/6months) of the 97 C5 corvette they quoted me? Is the insurance that high for all of the companies? I'll be shopping around, but I'm waiting to sell my Prelude first.

Thanks for the community.
Old 06-08-11, 07:51 PM
deanbrown
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmm, why would any guy not want a pink car?

Actually, to be honest, I would buy that color, I think that looks great. Very classy. I have the silver jade pearl and that too is very rare, but everyone who sees it just loves it. Keep it.
Old 06-08-11, 09:03 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like the color. IMO i would get some full face wheels and paint the face of the wheel the top half of ur cars color and the lip the bottom half of ur cars color. get it? slam that thing and call it a day. have someone on the photoshop section of this forum do that for u. thank me later lol good luck
Old 06-09-11, 12:31 AM
genetic
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the color as well. I think with time, it will grow on you and make you feel like it was the best choice haha.

Looks really clean! good job
Old 06-09-11, 01:21 AM
Do.Man
Pole Position

keep it!! nice color!
Old 06-09-11, 02:45 AM
mr. tetsuo
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

keep it. nice to see another member with the same color as me.
Antique Sterling Metalic ftw!
Old 06-09-11, 06:15 AM
McPierson
Instructor

It is pretty clean. The previous owner liked to toss money at it so it already has a second new timing belt and new tires a month before he sold it.

A dealer lowballed him an offer and said that the timing belt needed done as part of the justification. The dealer said anyone buying the car would want to know that the belt was done. At first I thought that meant it was the first belt, but I called Lexus yesterday and it was done once there and a month ago at a private shop.

So I really want to get some Tanabes. After that I'll get some wheels.

Will post pics with tint soon.
Old 06-09-11, 06:21 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

those tanabes are going to blow any shocks you put in there faster than stock by a long ways. there just really isn't a short-stroke shock made for this chassis. if you put tanabes on your stock shocks they will blow. not if, just when.

if you want to drop it just a bit, stock/kyb shocks (or current oem) + H&R or (if you can find them, Eibach) springs and that's that.
Old 06-09-11, 07:32 AM
McPierson
Instructor

Thanks for the comments. I'm not looking to stiffen the ride at this point. Thats why I was considereing the Tanabes, but I just read similar comments the one you just posted.

I'm going to keep the spring option open at this point and just enjoy the ride for now.

When buying coil overs is is possible to get different spring rates?

I may look outside the box on this one. For now I need to figure out what exactly is in the box first.
Old 06-09-11, 07:36 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by McPierson
Thanks for the comments. I'm not looking to stiffen the ride at this point. Thats why I was considereing the Tanabes, but I just read similar comments the one you just posted.

I'm going to keep the spring option open at this point and just enjoy the ride for now.

When buying coil overs is is possible to get different spring rates?

I may look outside the box on this one. For now I need to figure out what exactly is in the box first.
lol i hate boxes
Old 06-09-11, 07:53 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Keep it stock, but don't tint too dark. If you go with a dark tint, I think the deep dark black wouldn't go with the light car color, which is nice by the way. Don't think of it as a "grandma" car, just one that doesn't attract cops. I kinda like the purplish tint in it, but I'm gettin' older. Idk what you paid for it but I'm sure you got a good deal on it, that thing is mint, other then a little touch up on the bumper. And to be on the second new T-belt already, (at only 130K) this guy must've taken damn good care of it. Keep it up and it will last ya forever. Welcome to CL.
P.S. State Farm sucks.
Old 06-09-11, 09:26 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

i wouldnt get dark tints either. the car looks classy as is... they sell some clear tints (dont laugh ppl they really do sell this) and wat it does is keeps out 45%, i believe, of uv light (heat). Get that it will look sick. and it has like a blueish purpleish tint to it.

hey if u dont mind just for my own curiosity can i have someone photoshop ur car. im looking into getting an ls for my wife she loves ur color too!!!
Old 06-09-11, 01:22 PM
McPierson
Instructor

I have a bunch of high res photos from different angels and a direct side. I'll post a few more to let you get an easier angle to PS. I don't care what you do with the pic.

The tint is 35% so it will be pretty much black from the outside. I like that people can't see in and know that I'm not an old lady lol. Hopefully I won't regret it.
Old 06-09-11, 03:15 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

35% on the tint isn't dark at all. That's what's legal here in Ct. and ya can see right through it. I used to run 15% on all my old cars, which is pretty dark. I got tired of paying the fines, removing it to go through inspection, and then reinstalling it. It got to be expensive so now I don't use any and the cops leave me alone.
Old 06-09-11, 03:22 PM
McPierson
Instructor

I agree that it's not real dark, but from the outside it looks alot more like black than clear.

Quick Reply: New 99 LS Wierd Color Looking for Opinions