LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 Fuel Lines /Gas Smell /Stuttering during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-11, 04:17 PM
bwireless
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS400 Fuel Lines /Gas Smell /Stuttering during acceleration

Hi everyone,

I have an LS400 1991 (the greatest car ever built) and I am getting a Gas smell outside coming from the rear driver side wheel area when the car is parked and turned off.

I inspected the gas lines and the one that is reponsible for venting(pressure regulation) is especially corroded.

Also, I sometimes (rarely) get a hesitation when accelerating - It feels like the engine is "sputtering".

Also, one more thing I notice was that before when I would remove the gas cap, there was always some pressure (air) release. Now, there is never any release of air pressure when removing the cap.

Could it be the following:

1. The vent line is ruptured and there is pressure loss in the fuel tank thus affecting the flow of gas and affecting the pressure in the tank.

2. Fuel pressure regulator malfunction and the regulator is constantly venting the fumes and not shutting off when the car is turn off and thus we get a gas smell when the car is parked.

3. Restriction in the fuel filter along with a rupture in the vent line and thus causing fumes and stuttering during acceleration.

Thanks!

Last edited by bwireless; 06-21-11 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-12-11, 09:12 AM
Rudee023
Driver School Candidate

Being as the fuel filter is in the exact area you describe and you mention a loss of power or "sputtering" I would check that first. Mine was changed once in 20 years by the previous owner. The hard lines were so corroded onto the filter itself I had to modify the setup.

Old 05-12-11, 09:36 AM
tonyfazt
Rookie

it could be the vaccum lines that go to your charcoal canister its in a tight spot right in front of the drives side tire if its unplugged i know for a fact that pressure wont build up in the tank
Old 05-12-11, 06:28 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudee023
Being as the fuel filter is in the exact area you describe and you mention a loss of power or "sputtering" I would check that first. Mine was changed once in 20 years by the previous owner. The hard lines were so corroded onto the filter itself I had to modify the setup.

What is that, regular rubber fuel line? Idk if it's just the way the pic is but it looks like it's already starting to bubble a little. How long ago did you change that, do ya think that will hold the pressure? I would have at least went with a hard plastic hose if not a new metal line.
bwireless; I also used to get the pressure release when loosening the gas cap but not any more lately. Check the gasket on your gas cap, that could be bad which would release the pressure.
Old 05-13-11, 10:59 AM
Rudee023
Driver School Candidate

Nah, its not bubbling, it's just the angle of the line and the camera. I used 5/16 fuel injection hose. Not sure if there is a difference with carbureated fuel hose. I didnt really have a choice as the stock hardline threads were destroyed. Every other car I've owned besides the LS runs lines like this to the filter so it should be ok.
Old 05-16-11, 08:12 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I need to do this on my Chicago born 93 LS with 305k on it. The car is much slower, and engine cuts out at higher rpms. I'm thinkin its the fuel filter. But The undercarriage is rusty so this fix would be perfect!

What type of fuel filter did you use?

20k miles ago she was still doin 8.5 0-60 times. Now its more like 11-12

Last edited by omarg; 05-16-11 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-17-11, 11:17 AM
Rudee023
Driver School Candidate

This is from a 89-94 Nissan 240sx. Same year Altima should work as well. The 90-94 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo filter is pretty much the same but larger and often times cheaper but I wanted to fit into the original bracket so this worked out.
Old 06-21-11, 07:33 AM
bwireless
Driver School Candidate

Default My Gas cap is good

Originally Posted by deanshark
What is that, regular rubber fuel line? Idk if it's just the way the pic is but it looks like it's already starting to bubble a little. How long ago did you change that, do ya think that will hold the pressure? I would have at least went with a hard plastic hose if not a new metal line.
bwireless; I also used to get the pressure release when loosening the gas cap but not any more lately. Check the gasket on your gas cap, that could be bad which would release the pressure.

Hi,

I also though it could be the gas cap, but my car has passed emissions (lately) and part of the test is testing the seal on the gas cap.

As for the possibility of the vacuum line being off - the smell is coming from the rear driver side wheel well. I think the vacuum line is in the front.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for the great comments/ideas so far!
Old 06-21-11, 07:35 AM
bwireless
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know where to get replacement fuel lines? Does it come in a kit or do we have to do a custom fitting?

Thanks.
Old 06-21-11, 09:35 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by bwireless
Does anyone know where to get replacement fuel lines? Does it come in a kit or do we have to do a custom fitting?

Thanks.
Try searching for Lexus parts. I've always used "Dorman" fuel line for any repair. Either you're gonna have to cut and repair the lines or get an OEM fuel line from the dealer. Idk anyone that sells a direct fit except the dealer, maybe someone else will. When/if you change any fuel lines, make sure to get the pressure out before any work is done on them.
Old 05-20-12, 04:24 PM
Bear1906
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tonyfazt
it could be the vaccum lines that go to your charcoal canister its in a tight spot right in front of the drives side tire if its unplugged i know for a fact that pressure wont build up in the tank
where exactly is this canister located? any pics?