LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Battery losing charge oddly.

Old 04-16-14, 01:41 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery losing charge oddly.

A few days ago I killed my battery, after some research I found that its because I have had the lights in AUTO since I bought it.... but I have been turning them off since I killed the battery and its losing charge weird.

So I jumped it with my other car and its been fine. I have taken it out for fast food and whatever else and then yesterday evening it had a little hiccup when trying to start and then when I went to work it started to crank, everything went dim, and then it cranked right and fired up. I know im losing charge, but I don't know why. Is it most likely that I killed a cell in my battery??

Last edited by cgawelko; 04-16-14 at 02:01 AM.
Old 04-16-14, 02:06 AM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by cgawelko
Is it most likely that I killed a cell in my battery??
You can simply judge it measuring the voltage. Measure it and inform us the result if you are not familiar to the limit point.
What you have done are not good to your battery and electronics equipments connected the battery line. Because batteries for automobiles dislike the deep discharge and it increases the internal impedance. The jump start causes the flyback pulse and it cannot be fully absorbed by the battery which has a higher internal impedance and it stresses equipments.
Old 04-16-14, 02:25 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Well I can give you a little more background but I will have to wait 7 more hours before I can volt test it. Gotta buy a new one, mine doesn't register anything anymore. Just says 0 no matter what I do.... but cant complain since it was free.

The car is all stock, no mods or anything like that. about a week ago I turned the air compressor back on so I can keep the air bags in the front going up and down when I change the height. Have not had any troubles. Ive left the lights on AUTO MANYYYYY nights without trouble. Then the other day I left work, everything was great. and then when I woke up, went to get some food, my gauges were freaking out and I had no juice. Jump started it, and it was fine. Pulled off the battery terminal to test to make sure the alternator is keeping it running and not even a hiccup when I took off the terminal. I put it back and then drove it around, it started fine about 3-4 more times that day. then the next it was fine in the AM when I left work, and when I left my in-laws house it started great, but then when I left the house it had a small catch in the start that I found odd. And then tonight when I went to go to work it was pretty bad and im worried its not going to start come time for me to go home.
Old 04-16-14, 03:41 AM
Yamae

Pulled off the battery terminal to test to make sure the alternator is keeping it running and not even a hiccup when I took off the terminal.
So you did it while the engine is running. Don't you know how risky it is to do that?
Old 04-16-14, 03:51 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Yeah, but I didn't leave it off for long. I pulled it up, didn't die put it back. Didn't give it any time to chew up that VR or anything. Once it starts it runs great and fine, no dimming, no issues with any of the windows or anything. its just the starting that is diminishing
Old 04-16-14, 05:40 AM
Yamae

Yeah, but I didn't leave it off for long. I pulled it up, didn't die put it back. Didn't give it any time to chew up that VR or anything. Once it starts it runs great and fine, no dimming, no issues with any of the windows or anything. its just the starting that is diminishing
You'd better to read this below.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you..._using_a_meter

I always use a home made box which contains an electrolytic capacitor 10000uF, a ceramic capacitor 22uF and a varister inside and put it in parallel with the drained battery when I do jump starting. Those components absorb most of spikes and surges and I can safely start the engine without stressing or damaging precious cars. Many mechanics don't understand this and they often cause additional strange problems. I hope you are not doing the same with them.

Last edited by Yamae; 04-16-14 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-16-14, 05:56 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Yamae
I understand that, but that's not my issue at the moment. my issue is something either charging system or a draw from something prior to that happening
Old 04-16-14, 06:01 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

How old is the battery? Have you had it tested? Try cleaning the terminals and tightening them up before you move on to more in depth troubleshooting. If you have done all that already and the battery is good then you indeed have some kind of voltage draw. By the way what year is your LS?
Old 04-16-14, 06:10 AM
eld4au6
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like a bad battery. I just replaced mine yesterday. If you left a door open for more than 5 minutes mine would go flat.
Old 04-16-14, 06:22 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

she is a 1993. Im going to take it to be tested and get the volts and all that in a couple hours. still at work.... but im hoping I just need a battery because I can get one for $25 and be on with my day... but I might spring $100 for an optima. assuming that is what is wrong with it... I hate carrying jumper cables. its showing my car signs of distrust and unreliability... Bad enough if you look in my trunk I carry replacement parts for it....
Old 04-16-14, 07:41 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, I'm sorry but you probably need to read a few books about on working on cars because you are doing some pretty stupid things that can cause some serious collateral damage.

#1 put battery on a charger and leave over night.
#2 test battery for voltage or load or get someone to do it.
#3 replace battery
#4 retest battery and charging system.

NEVER EVER pull a battery terminal on a running car. You might be able to get away with that on an old muscle car that only have 6-10 wires in them, but you run the risk of damaging a lot of very sensitive electronics even on older EFI cars.

Jumping a battery/car is not a solution allowing you to drive around and go about your normL routine. It's to allow you to get to the closest shop to test and fix the problem.

Automotive alternators are NOT designed to charge a battery up from dead, they are designed to maintain a charge and handle excess loads from that point of charge. You can cook an alternator by repeated jumping, and forcing it to keep a dead battery alive.

Even jumping a car is not a good idea, like Yamae outlined.

By the sounds of it you have no idea what your issue is, you could have left a light on by not closing the door, and you cannot diagnose whatever you think might be a problem without squaring away the basics first.
Old 04-16-14, 11:32 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

she is a 1993. Im going to take it to be tested and get the volts and all that in a couple hours. still at work.... but im hoping I just need a battery because I can get one for $25 and be on with my day... but I might spring $100 for an optima. assuming that is what is wrong with it... I hate carrying jumper cables. its showing my car signs of distrust and unreliability... Bad enough if you look in my trunk I carry replacement parts for it....
Where are the $25 LS batteries????? It's always wise to keep a pair of cables and medical/breakdown kit in the car.
Old 04-17-14, 12:47 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sha4000
Where are the $25 LS batteries????? It's always wise to keep a pair of cables and medical/breakdown kit in the car.
Shops here in Phoenix. They are all over, but since its a Lexus they want $35. Jerks...

But check it. You guys wont believe it. The car keeps starting without a jump, only had to jump it the one time. I turned off my air suspension from the switch in the trunk when I swapped the brakes out in the front. And then I started the car when I went to get gas before work, and I tried not to do much to run the battery while pumping gas, I left the keys in the car with the windows down and I could hear it beeping and I went to pay and I pumped the gas and when I got in the car, it started perfectly. Like nothing had been wrong with it at all.

So note to self. Turn off the suspension switch and switch to coils.

and spare parts I carry. Air filter. Oil change. a spare set of pads, currently only the rear pads. Car washing supplies (glass cleaner, spray wax, wheel and tire degreaser, and an assortment of microfiber, terry and cotton cloths...) and the first aid kit that came with the car lol