LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400
View Poll Results: Which is the better car
Mercedes S-Class
28.24%
Lexus LS430
71.76%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

MERCEDES S-CLASS vs LEXUS LS430

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-02, 06:36 AM
brian3268
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MERCEDES S-CLASS vs LEXUS LS430

LETS POLL IT GUYS
Old 09-03-02, 01:29 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Validity

of your poll will be questionable unless you run one over on the MB forum and average the two.

Not that we're biased over here or anything like that.
Old 09-03-02, 02:47 PM
rhayward
Driver

Default MERC

WITH AMG KITS THEY ARE GREAT BUT I COULDN'T AFFORD THE MECHANIC BILLS LOL
Old 09-03-02, 06:48 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I have never driven an LS430, only a '99 LS. I have driven a MB S500. IMO, in this class there is no clear winner. I think the Mercedes looks better, much better. The LS rides and drives better, and is faster and does it all for significantly less money.

It would be a tough decision for me. It'd be my show-off side wanting the MB, and my practical (smarter) gadget-oriented side wanting the LS430 UL package.
Old 09-03-02, 07:55 PM
LexFather

of your poll will be questionable unless you run one over on the MB forum and average the two.
That is EXACTLY what we are doing.

Old 09-03-02, 11:27 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, 1SICK is right. In the spirit of third-grade fights "they started it!" . Here's the link if you're curious: http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/sho...7&pagenumber=1
Old 09-04-02, 02:18 AM
brian3268
Lead Lap

and its not like theyre biased or anything either
Old 09-04-02, 04:09 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LS430...I would pick this one VS Benz S430 and S500. I would definetely get S600 over the Lex though. Also imo there are more avaliable gadgets for LS430 then any Benz out there.
Old 09-04-02, 04:52 PM
HoleinOne
Rookie

I just bought my LS430 less than a month ago. I have considered the MB S430 for a long time. The LS430 is just a much better value ($25K less including discounts) for cars that are similar in quality (however, I have heard an increase in quality complaints with MB when I was going there to service my former E320). In addition, S430's look is too femanine w/o the sports package (another extra $5K).

I am very happy that I chose the LS.
Old 09-04-02, 05:26 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

sorry i know S class is overpriced and def unreliablle, but i went with it because i like it's design and amenities. =]
Old 09-04-02, 07:27 PM
Static911

It is no "secret" Lexus copied Mercedes Benz. Infinity was trying to copy BMW. But for unknown reasons, Infinity dropped out of the race and Lexus was/is fighting two fronts: BMW with its sporty characteristic and Mercedes Benz with its luxury perception.

As we all know, the Japanese don't really "invent" anything; they just make it 1,000 times better. IE: Gas milage, service department, loaner car program, etc.

I mean, look at all the Japanese luxury makers. They take an ordinary car division and improve on it.

Nissian - Infiniti
Toyota - Lexus
Honda - Acura

I don't understand why people have qualms about this unless they are insecure about their selfworth. We do this everyday. IE: A/X and Giorgio Armani. As you can see, one is more expensive than the other. But in the end, they are all one of the same...cloth is cloth.

I mean, if people can understand that, there is not really much of an "arguement". In the end, it is, you get what you paid for. If you pay $50,000 for a vehicle, you will get service at that level. If you pay $15,000, you will get service at that level.

As for German Engineering, yes, there are good charactistics about it. But at the same time, we must give American and Japanese their props too.

The reasons why our family decided to go with all Lexus was the quality of the service. Even when Lexus makes very reliable cars, we still have to take it to the dealership for service under warranty period. It sucks when the service manager is rude to a lady who can not understand English that well. It sucks worse when the salespeople are rude to the buyer.

But lets give props where it is due. All the cars Mercedes Benz rolls out nowadays are stunning. BMW is shaking up the market with it's radical 745i and new 4 class. Back in 1989, when Lexus debuted, the entire Luxury line was "shaken" and the playing field has risen.

It is because of Lexus that Mercedes Benz and BMW are making more reliable vehicles, and paying attention to small details. Now, with everyone being on the same level, one manufacturer will raise the luxury bar. With Infinity getting back into the loop, consumers are again given a lot of choices to choose from. It seems Audi and Cadillac are getting into this market that used to be held by Lexus, Mercedes Benz and BMW.

In the end, the consumers are benefiting from all the competition and I have no objection to that.

Ethan

Last edited by Static911; 09-04-02 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-04-02, 09:55 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well said Ethan. Back in 1989, when Lexus introduce the LS it's a wake up call for auto industrail. The bar had been raise.
It's easy for Lexus back then to become #1 in the JD Power index of Customer Satifaction, because Lexus have a lot of competitors in front. After so many years of being #1 in that catagory, the toughest part for Lexus right now is to stay #1. And for Lexus to stay #1, Lexus have to beat Lexus ( quote: Tony Fujida Lexus Vice President).
I'm glad that Lexus get this much attention on MB.org....why?. If the MB is that good and Lexus is a POS. Why they have to worry about Lexus?
I like MB style, technology and line up. But I thinkl service, dependable and value goes to Lexus.
This is a tough choice between the 2 cars. But it's good to have this kind of tough decision. Am I gonna spend 60K or 90K?
Old 09-05-02, 02:06 AM
LexieLS
Rookie

Default Hmmm...

Hey all,

i used to have a MB, it's not an S tho. i had a 94' E420 and now i have a 95' LS. i would definitely not go back to MB if i can't afford a brand new one. that might be the reason why my benz wasn't all that good cuz i bought it used. one thing for sure it costed a lot of money to keep it maintained.

Now talking about people who have never used any car other than MB. For example, my parents, they would not use any car especially MB. my dad has a 96' S500 and my mom has a 98 E430 and the fun car for them is 93 SL500 with only 30,000 miles. they bought all these cars brand new and these cars are very very well taken care of. They run like a dream. the point is I have been trying very hard to tell them how nice the Lexus is and they should buy them. they don't understand cuz they never have one and they see there's nothing wrong with their cars. i dont blame them cuz when i had my MB, i thought my car was very reliable and was such a great car until i got my lexus.

so i dont think anybody could really judge one's opinion. however if you have both S-Class and LS430 and you take care of both cars the same. also your driving habit is the same when you drive these cars. then we could discuss something.

nothing against anybody by the way but i agree the LS costs a lot less and i think they both are great cars. Keep this in mind, there are people who look at MB and they know in a sec. that this car is the best car on the road, likewise to Lexus.

End of my opinion here .. :-)

You all TAKE IT EASY!!!

Last edited by LexieLS; 09-05-02 at 02:11 AM.
Old 09-05-02, 06:06 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by HoleinOne
I just bought my LS430 less than a month ago. I have considered the MB S430 for a long time. The LS430 is just a much better value ($25K less including discounts) for cars that are similar in quality (however, I have heard an increase in quality complaints with MB when I was going there to service my former E320). In addition, S430's look is too femanine w/o the sports package (another extra $5K).

I am very happy that I chose the LS.
Let's not forget the LS430 is a lot faster than the S430, has more standard options than the S430 (including HIDs ), has more cabin and trunk space than the S430, has a quieter interior than the S430, a smoother tranny than the S430, is way more reliable than the S430*, and much more interior ammenities than the S430----all for LESS than the S430!

* check out S-class/MB reliability issues direct from the lion's mouth: http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/sho...threadid=15777

I would say you made a very wise choice HoleInOne
Old 09-05-02, 02:43 PM
rybikowsky
Driver

I think one of the main reasons many buy mercedes,is the profile factor.I own both a Mercedes and A 400ls.I prefer the Lexus,But as far as it getting noticed it might as well be invisable.People notice the Mercedes,and give a fair share of complements on the drivers good taste.michael

Quick Reply: MERCEDES S-CLASS vs LEXUS LS430