LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Is anyone interested in a tutorial?

Old 03-28-11, 02:34 PM
waseem3000
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is anyone interested in a tutorial?

Hello everyone!

I was just wondering staring at my car today that why dont the corner lower bumper lights light up with my dim lights and fogs since I got them wired to light up with the dims. The corner lights in question are attached in the pic for the 2nd generation LS400 1998-2000 and could apply to older models too. Well I have removed them and in the process of cutting a hole in the back covers to start with the install since they do not open as there is a glue inside the casing and needs heat which I was not comfortable with to melt it and open the housing. I chose the option I thought was the best which is to cut a small hole to have space to wire the LEDs as I could have put a normal 5W bulb but it would not have looked bright enough and since I did not put any other LEDs anywhere on the exterior these were the perfect spot to do so. So what do you guys think and do you think I should put a tutorial how to put LEDs inside the lights and show how to install them with the bumper lights.

I was thinking I will put about 20-30 LEDs havent finally decided yet and will do in sometime when I am finally making it.

I will close the box with epoxy when done with the install and then run the wires with the side bumper lights and they will not consume much current anyways. I already have prepared LEDs with 4 on a circuit board with a resistor for each and you guys can get them already soldered and put them inside but I already had them and simply using them for this reason.

So if anyone interested I will put a tutorial, and show how they look on the car. So please let me know!
Attached Thumbnails Is anyone interested in a tutorial?-img_0256.jpg  
Old 03-28-11, 03:22 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

if you make it look clean i'm interested
Old 03-28-11, 03:29 PM
waseem3000
Rookie

Sure will work on it tomorrow and yes my objective was to be as clean as possible, except the exception of cutting the casing to allow LEDs to be mounted as mine was sealed shut and had no bulbs or anything inside them.
Old 03-28-11, 03:41 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Post it up.

Vehicle code/laws stateside dictate what, how many lamps and what colors can be illuminated. Some of the lighting mods are for us.
Old 03-29-11, 01:11 AM
waseem3000
Rookie

Huh I am now confused on what color LEDs to put in the side lights: white, orange (amber) or yellow! My fogs are the original yellow as the damn stupid local laws dont allow Xenon lights and you get a ticket almost everyday if you put them, has almost happened to me and thereby they are the original. So if I put white will it look awkward, or should I go for yellow or orange (amber) and so totally confused.... So hard to decide.....arrrrghhh! Any pointers as it is going to be a pain to open when they are closed!
Old 04-23-11, 08:21 AM
waseem3000
Rookie

Default Alright finally had time to do it.

Ok here are the pictures of the final install on the car. I just saw the corner bumper light on my drivers side is not working, so before I post a tutorial, I will go fix it by again removing the headlight... annoying as I just closed it less than an hour ago . Plus I will install further LEDs inside in the interior when the car is on with the lights on as I do not like the dark interior as if anything falls down it is hard to grab. For now have a look at how they appear. I will take further pics when the night falls and disable the fogs to see the full intensity of the LEDs.

So enjoy! And pls comment. Tutorial will be up in a day or so.
Attached Thumbnails Is anyone interested in a tutorial?-img_0456.jpg   Is anyone interested in a tutorial?-img_0457.jpg   Is anyone interested in a tutorial?-img_0461.jpg   Is anyone interested in a tutorial?-img_0462.jpg  
Old 04-23-11, 08:25 AM
waseem3000
Rookie

Omg how do you put pics vertically instead of horizontally. They look stupid now!
Old 04-23-11, 10:29 AM
Justinkm
Driver

i have LED signals and corners on my 1LS no problem for me yet
Old 04-23-11, 10:42 AM
waseem3000
Rookie

Oh I do not have a problem with the corner light, I didnt put LEDs in the orange light but below it and yes there is no problem with them. I made the board myself also for the LEDs and the corner light I just fixed it, it just came out from its socket. Its back now and all lights are working as expected. Will post how I put LEDs inside a bit later. Can anyone tell me how to post pics in a line as I attached them but it does not give me an option to write and then put a pic and then write and put a pic. I will be glad if I know how to do this as now the pics look horrible!
Old 04-23-11, 12:22 PM
MrGreen
Driver School Candidate

how is the board mounted in the light?
I'd change the fogs to LED's too just because the coloring looks off with the bright LED's then the dull fog. other than that it looks great
I always hated the way the stock bulb colors looked when they shinned through. the nasty faded yellow for fogs then the white low/high in the center and the pinkish looking corner for the first gens
Old 04-23-11, 12:43 PM
waseem3000
Rookie

I agree with you on the fogs but only when I have acquired high power LEDs or might just leave them as the local regulations will assume them to be Xenon. they are too dumb here as if I were to use high power LEDs they will be as bright as Xenon. The color does look off but I will think about what to do.

The board I made with 20 5mm and 20 3mm White 15,000mcd White LEDs with 20mA current for each and a resistor on each LED for a long life of the board. I will post pics as soon as I figure out how to put pictures in a proper way in the forum or a mod chips in and tells me how and have finished the interior mod too, so everyone can then see it... but by tomorrow definitely. Keep your fingers crossed. It wont be long. I just drove it and the lights look awesome on the road and illuminate a lot of the road. I am surprised how such tiny lights are waaaay tooooo powerful than stock 21W bulbs.

Plus I put a three prong holder in the indicator too, to make them come on with dim. That is the same bulb used in the brakes.