Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Noise at start, pulls to right

Old 04-18-11, 12:44 PM   #1
deanshark
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)

Default Noise at start, pulls to right

Yesterday when I started the car there was a weird clunk grind for a second. Now, I don't know if it's related but, the car pulls to the right. The steering wheel is tilted to the left a little when I drive like the alignment is off. If I take a corner the steering works correctly, no noises, turns back on its own. Previously there was a tiny hardly noticeable vibration, which seemed like, the tranny mount. Everything is still the way it was, it doesn't vibrate any more then it used to and it runs and drives the exact same except for the pull. I was thinking tranny mount broke but how would that effect the steering. It starts fine with no noises. Is it possible a motor mount could have snapped and broke something else? I haven't had a chance to check it yet.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
deanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-11, 06:50 AM   #2
91LS400vgb
Driver

I randomly get a slight clunk when I start my car, and my car also pulls a little to the right, so that's interesting. I have some looseness in my driver's side inner tie rod, so I need to change that first when I get some time, but I was wondering about my motor mounts as well. I suspect, mine need replacing - I'm just hesitant to do it since it looks like a big job.
91LS400vgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-11, 07:34 AM   #3
deanshark
Lexus Champion

Yea the clunk I have is also intermitent, maybe 6 times in the past year, but never had the grind with it. Today it doesn't pull as much, but still a little. I checked the motor mounts by hitting the gas with my foot on the breaks, D and R, and it didn't jump so those are still good, for now. I do have a sort of sway when I hit the breaks, like the back of the car is floating left to right. I had an old '71 Impala convertable that did that after I snapped the frame on it doing a neutral drop at about 6 thousand RPM. Eh, I was young. I gotta check the carrier arm bushings in the rear after this rain stops. After searching, I think that's deffinately the sway, all the symptoms are there.
deanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-11, 06:03 PM   #4
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Send a message via AIM to trukn1 Send a message via Yahoo to trukn1

Check tie rods and ball joints in the front for the clunking. LS's, especially the older ones, are NOTORIOUS for eating them alive. As for the sway in the rear, carrier arm bushings all the way.
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls40...d-my-92-a.html
"Futility can only be prosperous when you maintain the integrity of imagination!!" --Trukn1
trukn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-11, 06:03 PM

Tags
clunk, ls400, pulls, right, suspension