LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New car, pretty happy

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-11, 05:29 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

PS is *****ed. It's leaking as fast as i can put it in. If the kid who sold it to me didn't live on an air force base, i'd throw a brick through his window for telling me the PS pump is new and good. This $3200 car is quickly adding up in price, and declining in value. We can't see where it's leaking from though, so I need to know where the usual leaks occur on this thing and what needs to be replaced?
Old 04-23-11, 07:10 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Default What is this? Power Steering Pump

I think I found my PS leak, it's coming out where the red circle is. I found this picture on that tutorial website and circled where the problem is. Why would fluid be coming out of it and what do I need to do to stop it? Obviously I can't drive it like this because it'll burn up the alternator. I need to get this car running.
Old 04-23-11, 07:30 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

This will tell you pretty much anything you want/need to know about the power steering.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ing-bible.html
Most common leak would be the ACV (Air Control Valve) on the bottom of the pump. If you can't see the leak, that's probably it. Or the high pressure hose. The new valve goes for about $85 - $100. Most people just buy a bolt that size and just plug it. You can read about it in the PS Bible.
Old 04-23-11, 07:36 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

This is where it's leaking. The thing is, I think it's leaking into my alternator. It hasn't fried yet so I think there's still hope to save it. What do I need to do to save it?

I have to ask, who in the hell decided that the PS pump should be located above the alternator? Sounds pretty half-assed to me. To think that some idiot gets paid 6 figures a year to design this kind of crap pisses me off. This is why Toyota is starting to suffer in the market. You can't work on their crap and it's expensive to replace, and has some serious design flaws. They're headed where GM just came from, and I can see Ford and GM just waiting to eat them up. This Tsunami shutting down their production is their chickens coming home to roost.
Old 04-23-11, 07:50 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

I posted in your other thread about the ACV on the bottom b/c you said you couldn't see the leak. Oh well. The part you're showing here is where mine leaks also, you can see it from top. Idk exactly how everything works but there's a snap ring there with an O-ring behind what is called the spring seat, the O-ring is what's actually leaking. On the opposite side, (I think this comes out first) you need to remove the Suction Port Union, Flow Control Valve, and Spring. I think it's all covered in the rebuild directions .....
I just looked at the tutorial you got this pic from and it describes everything you need to know. I should have looked at it before writing all this.
Old 04-23-11, 07:58 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, i guess i forgot to post afterwards that we eventually did get to see it. We had to go buy some batteries for a flashlight and got up in there. It's sure oily as hell. I guess I should have thought to read the tutorial. I was hoping not to have to remove the pump to do this repair. Car is my daily driver. My next day off is Thursday.
Old 04-23-11, 08:06 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Read your other thread also. No need to have 2 threads listing the same problem. It's a common problem design flaw. No need to put down the people who had nothing to do with it and are in pain from the recent disaster in Japan, it's not their fault that your 20 yr old PS pump is leaking. Next problem please "search" b/c all your recent problems and almost every problem you're gonna come across has been answered over and over again. I know it bugs alot of members, including me, seeing the same questions come up.
Old 04-23-11, 08:46 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

I'm terribly sorry for the inconvenience I have caused you. Most of the threads I searched for discussed the IAC valve or the rack. I don't think you should expect somebody who is stressing out over a potentially expensive problem and short on time to flip through hundreds of posts to find the answer he needs. This is the first board i've been on where you get that kind of friendly response when you post a problem you have. Sorry for any sleep anybody looses over having seen an extra thread or two on their board. I guess having power steering fluid running down the front of your engine pales in comparison.
Old 04-23-11, 09:12 PM
NTRUDA
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with PS that u had..I brought a new PS, ACV, Hoses, and Altenator...Mine's is a 91 and has 235K miles and it runs very well...but if u plan on keeping a car like a Lexus, it comes with a double edge sword...it will run forever if u do the neccessary maintenance and repairs but at the same time some repairs-not all-can be costly...but there are peeps on this board with a vast amount of knowledge willing to help u...Perhaps my suggestion is to take it to a good mechanic that u are very cool with and have him/her do a thorough look at your car and then u will pretty much know what u are dealing with as far as repairs...some repairs u can do yourself if u are patient, skilled, have the time and the desire...My next repair/upgrade is to convert my air susspension to Megan Coilovers--but I digress...all I am saying is that the board is a wealth of knowledge with people willing 2 help u and if u take the time 2 do the searches on certain topics and secondly, your Lexus will be a fine purchase once u put in the effort and invest the time and money to get it running right...the end result will really please u...
Old 04-23-11, 09:19 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Other than this problem, I really do like the car, that's why I purchased it. But the money I have right now is intended to help me survive through college, and if i spend it on the car, i'm screwed. I understand that I probably should have gotten something cheap like a saturn or a civic until I get into a more financially stable position. I'll admit, I screwed up. I bought more car than I can afford. I had an 89 firebird with a 2.8 v6 previously. Rode and drove like crap, broke down every other week, but it was a lot cheaper and easier to work on. This car seems to be a lot nicer, faster, and more reliable, but it does sure cost a lot.
Old 04-23-11, 09:28 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

I'm just saying, Why ask the same question in 2 threads that are right ontop of each other? You say you're short on time, the quickest way to get at what you need is to use the search feature at the top of the page. You asked the question 4 hrs ago, you can search and get the answer in 5 minutes. I punched in your problem with your PS leak (10 seconds) and the first thread that comes up is the "power steering bible" which will answer any question on the PS. I'm not trying to be a ****, I'm just pointing it out and letting ya know how the members on this board feel about searching. If I didn't tell you, someone else would have.
Old 04-23-11, 10:19 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know about you money issues, and im not 100% on the price difference, but you could call toyota/lexus and price out the pump, then call dodge...because I just did a ps pump on a dodge grand caravan, and it uses the same pump. came in a dodge box and toyota on the bag the pump was in. I believe is an 05.
I can find out for sure the year of the dodge on monday,and you could have the pump well before thursday.

I did have to change over the return port with o-ring, as the dodge pump didnt come with it
Old 04-23-11, 11:45 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

If the leak is slow (pump reservoir requires topping off only every 2-3 weeks) then instead of rebuilding or replacing the PS pump you can simply make a plastic cover for the alternator to protect it from the slowly dripping oil. An empty jug of Clorox makes a good cover. I did this mod years ago as have many other LS400 owners. You can probably find a picture of this mod by googling "Lexus steering pump cover".
Old 04-23-11, 11:47 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

OP should have searched. let that rest.

OP, the PS pump could have been rebuilt and not done well. regardless, that would have been something to check when you bought the car.

have the pump rebuilt.
Old 04-24-11, 06:18 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

it's a fast leak....

Quick Reply: New car, pretty happy