LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New to forum/leaking sunroof...please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-11, 10:30 AM
BradFisher
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum/leaking sunroof...please help

Hello all, and thank you for welcoming me into this forum. About a month ago I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase a 1994 LS 400. I did much research and bought the car solely on its reputation. The car has only 83,000 miles which i thought to be excellent for its age. It was owned by an old lady who recently passed away and left it to her granddaughter. She sold me the car for $4800. I think i got a good deal, your opinions? Anyways, after owning the car for a month and replacing the timing belt and water pump (right at $500, parts and labor) im very satisfied with the car. A couple of issues I have noticed though. When it rains hard and the car is parked the sunroof has a signifigant leak on the drivers side only. At first I thought it may just be that i was parking the car on sort of a lean in my driveway and the water just came in on the drivers side. Until the last major rainstorm I parked the car on level ground and noticed the same issue, major water leakage on the drivers side only. I was hoping someone would know of a fix for the problem. Also, ive noticed that the clock/climate control LED display is not operational. I've read on numerous posts that this is common, but im not very good with working on cars. Any ideas on what would be my best solution to get it fixed without having to take it to the dealership and paying $1500 or more? Its no essential, the car is still great without it, but it would be nice if it worked. The last thing, ive noticed that occasionally the display light for the taillights being out, and the light for add engine coolant come on. This seems odd to me because the car is full of coolant and all outside lights work fine. Any ideas or suggestions? I do know that the lady I bought it from said that the rack and pinion steering had been replaced, and that the dash display panel was relpaced also, all done by the dealership. I really like the car, its everything I hoped it would be and more, and I have a great appreciation for the engineers at Toyota/Lexus. They really outdid thereselves on this model. Thank you in advance for all the help, as any would be appreciated.
Old 04-17-11, 05:09 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

First, welcome. Second, You'll find almost anything you need with the search feature at the top of page. The climate control LCD can be found on Ebay and the directions to change it can be found by searching for it, I've never had a problem with mine but I have seen it posted somewhere. Your sunroof, Try cleaning out the gutter system to make sure it is draining properly. And your lights on the dash coming on check the wire harness on your trunk hinge for a split wire, they stretch and cause all kinds of weird electrical problems. This link describes it. http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/lighting/bulbout.html Check out all the tutorials on lexls.com, they are very much helpful. And yes, you did get a good deal on that car with that low mileage and the work that has been done already.