LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Interchanges from other cars

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-11, 05:57 AM
MrParts
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interchanges from other cars

Does anyone have a list of interchanges between cars of all makes to the Lexus LS400?

Back in the 40's, 50's and 60's Mitchell wrote books on this, I'm just wondering if anyone did it for any of the Lexus series's?

OR does anyone know the part number swaps for Toyota and Lexus?
Old 04-09-11, 07:57 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by MrParts
"cars of all makes?"
I've never seen a car that shares so few parts with other Toyota and Lexus models let alone "cars of other makes". Other than oil filters, I remember that the horn relay on the 90 LS I had was the same as on a particular year of a Toyota Supra!
Old 04-09-11, 11:55 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The Aussies are very inquisitive in finding cross platform compatible work around's. I'm not aware of a specific forum there that specializes in the higher line Toyota Celsior and Lexus counter parts. This would entail a lot of experimentation. For us stateside, it is still easy to get the factory listed correct part. I don't doubt that certain parts can be used.

Toyota in the past has had cross platform compatibility. in surprisingly different years. They won't tell you nor will their system list it so it becomes a try it and see deal.

What area are you looking at for parts exchanges?
Old 04-09-11, 01:23 PM
sonbum1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some toyota supra parts fit the first gen LS, and the second gen GS. The guys on lextreme.com know quite a bit about interchangeable parts there are many Aussies on that site, and a lot of old school toyo fans. The UCF1 engine will bolt right into the last model toyota cressida. You can buy your dash lights from toyota at about $2 each as opposed to lexus $8
Old 04-09-11, 02:07 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

I didn't mean to imply that no parts are interchangeable among Lexus and Toyota vehicles -- just none you can see with the naked eye or will need very often. There are actually a number of parts - especially engine related - that are interchangeable but nothing I have needed. The prices of the few interchangeable parts I've checked have been about the same from discount Toyota and Lexus parts suppliers.

If your vehicle is a 2008 or before, you can search the website shown in the attached image to see if a part number is used in Toyota or other Lexus models. For example, the website can tell you that a late-90's Toyota Landcruiser V8 uses the same knock sensors as a 98-00 LS400.
Attached Thumbnails Interchanges from other cars-parts-reference-website.jpg  
Old 04-09-11, 05:06 PM
sonbum1
Lead Lap

actually if you can see it with the naked eye and it looks like it will fit it probably will, due to a system know as standardization (Introduced by Eli Whitney 1700's somewhere now industry standard in every mass production industry)
Old 04-09-11, 05:51 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sonbum1
actually if you can see it with the naked eye and it looks like it will fit it probably will, due to a system know as standardization (Introduced by Eli Whitney 1700's somewhere now industry standard in every mass production industry)
Then tell me which parts you can see that were used on other Toyota or Lexus models. I've been trying to identify some since I bought my first Lexus LS over 21 years ago and I haven't found any.
Old 04-09-11, 07:14 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The unfortunate is that we do not have all the Toyota sedans here to test. There might be quite a jump from the GS and LS. I have suspicions about the Crown variants and GS sharing certain parts. The LS's wide open there. ??
Old 04-09-11, 11:40 PM
sonbum1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kansas
Then tell me which parts you can see that were used on other Toyota or Lexus models. I've been trying to identify some since I bought my first Lexus LS over 21 years ago and I haven't found any.
front brakes from ls400 will fit gen1 and gen2 gs and all sc300/400 so will the toyota supra tt from the mark IV, the strut tower bar from a mark IV will fit th ls400 cam springs from ls400 to mark IV interchange, fuel injectors, MAF, I think even the sway bars will cross. The rods from toyota forerunner or the landcrusier interchange wih each other and with the LS400 (if you wanted to FI your LS you would probably want the stronger rods) the cams are also interchangable. some of the electrical components from the old es250 such as the master door/window switchs even the passenger window controls will interchange wth the LS400 (gen1) granted the wood trim will not fit but the electrical unit is completely removable. speaking of the es250 the camery of the same era is probably about 90% interchangable, as is the cresida which is the virtualy the exact same car. Then there are the JDM cars Crown, Crown Athlete, Corona, Mark, Chaser,
Old 04-10-11, 10:52 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by sonbum1
front brakes from ls400 will fit gen1 and gen2 gs and all sc300/400 so will the toyota supra tt from the mark IV, the strut tower bar from a mark IV will fit th ls400 cam springs from ls400 to mark IV interchange, fuel injectors, MAF, I think even the sway bars will cross. The rods from toyota forerunner or the landcrusier interchange wih each other and with the LS400 (if you wanted to FI your LS you would probably want the stronger rods) the cams are also interchangable. some of the electrical components from the old es250 such as the master door/window switchs even the passenger window controls will interchange wth the LS400 (gen1) granted the wood trim will not fit but the electrical unit is completely removable. speaking of the es250 the camery of the same era is probably about 90% interchangable, as is the cresida which is the virtualy the exact same car. Then there are the JDM cars Crown, Crown Athlete, Corona, Mark, Chaser,
all the bold pieces are incorrect.
-STB from a TT supra needs to be bent to fit earlier /middle year LS400s
-fuel injectors and MAF are ELECTRICAL components, and will not interchange except for several very specific cases (1LS AFM into the 3rd gen Supra Turbo for example) and are not even interchangeable between different gens of the LS. (resistor packs for example on certain injectors, and then only if they are the correct type)
-sway bars dont fit across at all, they are chassis specific (so work ONLY on the mkiv supra and the XXz30 soarer chassis)
-the 2UZ engine found in the landcruiser and 4 Runner had weak rods just like the VVT-i 1UZ and the 3UZ. early model 1UZ rods (89-94) are the ones that are considered strong.
-Cams are only interchangeable from a VVT-i series to the same, and non-VVT-i engine, to the same.
-ES250/Camry does have interchangeability, but the cressida is a WHOLE DIFFERENT CHASSIS. Uses totally different layout (RWD), motor series (M series L6), and interior/exterior pieces. absolute most that will swap are the basic electrical components that toyota shared through all vehicles built at the same time and that is it. not even close to being an "identical" car.

some things may be able to be modified a fair bit then used, but that does defeat the purpose of bolt-on interchangeability. those pieces that are known to be modded to fit easily I have mentioned as such.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 04-10-11 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-11-11, 06:54 AM
MrParts
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm beginning to think I'll weld in a few brackets and put a Mustang/Pinto rack in this car and get rid of this screwy power steering pump and it "Progressive" crude. I can build a few brackets for a Chevy power steering pump to bolt on the engine.

While I'm at it, I'll get that expensive alternator out of there and stick in a one wire GM unit.

A little imagination and I can Frankenstein this puppy into something halfway cool. Can you imagine going a little farther and see a crate motor with a 671 GM blower sticking out of the hood?

Even fixing aka simplifying the wiring harness on these damned cars would make life much easier.

How many of you are so die hard of fans of these cars not to want to do a bit of experimenting?
Old 04-11-11, 02:32 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

take a piece of aluminum, make a shield for the alternator, and just keep your pump in good order.

95% of the issues i see with teh PS rack itself are due to owner negligence.
Old 04-11-11, 04:48 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
take a piece of aluminum, make a shield for the alternator, and just keep your pump in good order.
A cut up plastic bleach bottle makes a good alternator shield too - see attached photo - and I don't remember anyone reporting a shield like this causing problems although many who have not used one have speculated that one would cause overheating.

It's unfortunate that the gen 1 LS PS pumps are so troublesome - I went through a number of them on the 90 LS I had - but the 95-up PS pumps are rock solid trouble free. My 00 LS is still on its original PS pump and shows no sign of leaking.
Attached Thumbnails Interchanges from other cars-ls400-alternator-with-guard.jpg  
Old 04-11-11, 06:38 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

my 99's pump seems fine but the high pressure hose seems to be leaking.
Old 04-12-11, 01:12 AM
sonbum1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
my 99's pump seems fine but the high pressure hose seems to be leaking.
that wouldn't be from owner negligence now would it

Quick Reply: Interchanges from other cars