LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Smog test goes wrong!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-11, 04:10 AM
Jgossett
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Smog test goes wrong!

I have a 1990 Ls400 with 79,790 miles that I got from my mom. Since about 2005 up until a few months ago the car had only been driven 500-1000 miles a year. It had a rough idle so I pulled the throttle body and gave it a good cleaning and noticed the egr passage was completely blocked. I pulled the egr valve, cleaned it out, and put it back together. The idle improved but wasn’t perfect so I looked everything over and noticed a few vacuum lines were loose so I went ahead and replaced all of them. The idle got a little bit better but there was an intermittent hesitation while sitting at a red light. So I replaced the spark plugs and changed out the coolant temp sensor for good measure and that did the trick. The car ran great the last few months/ 800 miles. So this afternoon on my way home after driving about 40 miles I took the car into the local smog station for a sniff test so I can register it for the year and get my tags. They pull the car into the bay and shut it off for a minute to do what they need to do then I could hear them trying to start the car over and over again and it wasn’t starting. I start thinking what the heck did they do to my car! I knew I should have gone into the garage to see what the heck was going on but I didn’t. After a minute or two they come in and tell me the idle is too high and they can’t do a smog test but for 80 some dollars an hour they can diagnose the problem. I decline the 80 something an hour screw job and they say no problem and will pull the car around in a minute. So I get my keys and head home and notice the car is overheating as I pull up to my house then when I put the car in park the idle jumped to 1000 rpm! I let it cool off for a few hours and when starting it cold it starts up just fine and the idle drops down to 600-700 rpm like normal as it heats up. Once you drive it and put it into park the idle jumps to 1000+ rpms. I turned the car off and started it right back up again and the idle was back to 600-700 rpm and after driving it and putting it into park it goes back to 1000 rpms. So now I have a car that overheats and idles over 1000 rpm only after driving it. I’m at a loss at what they could have done. I checked over all the hoses, wire connections, sensors, and all the fluid levels are fine. Who knew a simple smog test could have turned into this.
Old 04-04-11, 04:11 AM
NugenLs400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DAM your story is freaking crazy >< sry about what happened and good luck
Old 04-04-11, 07:38 AM
MrFuel
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe you have air in your coolant system. You should burp your system.