LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

95 LS400 HID problem

Old 03-20-11, 11:28 PM
renato902
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 LS400 HID problem

Hey,

I picked up an Apexcone 55w 6000k HID kit for my low beams (9003/H4). I began wiring it up and when the passenger headlight was done, I tested it out to see the results. Everything worked perfectly. I then proceeded to doing the driver's side. I mounted my ballast and tested everything out, now both low beams wouldn't come on. I immediately checked my fuses, none were blown. I put my halogens back on and everything worked perfectly. My car is a Canadian model LS400 and is equipped with DRLs but they run off my high beams so I highly doubt they're what's causing the problem. Are my ballasts grounding out? Did I inverse the polarity of the connector that goes into the ballast? Please enlighten me

P.S.: I ran this kit on my winter beater all winter and had no problems with it, I also tested it out on a 12v car battery before wiring it up to the Lex and both ballasts and lights fired right up :S

Chime in fellow CLers
Old 03-21-11, 06:08 AM
renato902
Pole Position

bump for solution
Old 03-21-11, 10:37 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Are you hooking the ballasts up directly to the harness or using the relay?

I was reading one HID thread about certain systems working and not working with a relay. Some installs required a relay to prevent flickering and or even getting the HID's started.
Old 03-22-11, 07:25 AM
renato902
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RA40
Are you hooking the ballasts up directly to the harness or using the relay?

I was reading one HID thread about certain systems working and not working with a relay. Some installs required a relay to prevent flickering and or even getting the HID's started.
Thankd for your feedback RA40 Mine is just hooked up to the ballast. I was poking around for some info and I heard that I may have inverted the polarity of the bulb connector going into the ballast. Also, aren't relays for more recent cars? I find it strange that no fuses were blown and that initially, my passenger HID was working just fine. Any more suggestions?
Old 03-22-11, 11:42 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

you will have to move the prongs on the hid plug ,most likely one prong is in the highbeam socket,so if you would have put the highbeams on the hids would have come on.
Old 03-23-11, 05:17 AM
renato902
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexkost
you will have to move the prongs on the hid plug ,most likely one prong is in the highbeam socket,so if you would have put the highbeams on the hids would have come on.
Weren't highbeams on seperate bulbs? I'm pretty sure when I checked I had my 9003 lowbeam and right under it was my highbeam bulb.
Old 03-23-11, 07:07 PM
BlueLS
Driver School Candidate

using a relay harness is a way better setup than direct plug in my opinion cuz power is direct and there is less things to mess up and you need to turn off or pull the DRL fuse cuz thats how you mess up ballasts cuz DRLs uses too low voltage in the ballasts operating range and sends it a steady low current but never kicks it on and eventually burns out the ballast.is your kit bixenon or does it have one xenon and hibeam halogen. anyways here you go after i read this i became a "self certified hid tech" at my job (car audio shop)
http://www.asmlighting.com/hid_troubleshooting.html
hope it helps you and anybody else whos having trouble. so far at my shop there hasnt been an hid problem that i couldnt fix after reading this site
Old 03-24-11, 02:17 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

I thought the 95-97's had dual filament bulbs like the first gen.
Old 03-24-11, 02:24 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

they do. haven't checked but it is possible that the low beams wont function if the high beams arent hooked up due to the way the DRL is set up or etc.
Old 03-24-11, 07:12 PM
renato902
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BlueLS
using a relay harness is a way better setup than direct plug in my opinion cuz power is direct and there is less things to mess up and you need to turn off or pull the DRL fuse cuz thats how you mess up ballasts cuz DRLs uses too low voltage in the ballasts operating range and sends it a steady low current but never kicks it on and eventually burns out the ballast.is your kit bixenon or does it have one xenon and hibeam halogen. anyways here you go after i read this i became a "self certified hid tech" at my job (car audio shop)
http://www.asmlighting.com/hid_troubleshooting.html
hope it helps you and anybody else whos having trouble. so far at my shop there hasnt been an hid problem that i couldnt fix after reading this site
Thanks, will definitely use this

Originally Posted by j three
I thought the 95-97's had dual filament bulbs like the first gen.
Originally Posted by PureDrifter
they do. haven't checked but it is possible that the low beams wont function if the high beams arent hooked up due to the way the DRL is set up or etc.

They have separate bulbs for high and low beam. That's why I thought it would work first shot, but it didn't. DRLs run off my highs like I said in my first post. I don't understand why it wouldn't be working. Polarity inverted on connector to ballast?
Old 03-24-11, 07:33 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you didnt check the polarity!! i didnt convert my lows (as i'm factory HIID) but the fogs had reversed polarity compared to the HID kit's light plug (so i swapped connector pins and it was fine)

try that first.

but yeah, the 95-97 had low beams that went into HIGH filament at the same time as high bulbs.
Old 03-25-11, 04:38 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by renato902
Thanks, will definitely use this

They have separate bulbs for high and low beam. That's why I thought it would work first shot, but it didn't. DRLs run off my highs like I said in my first post. I don't understand why it wouldn't be working. Polarity inverted on connector to ballast?
The low beam bulb has 2 filments and it works with the high beam .The low beam has 3 prongs you need to move one on your hid harness so it connects to the low beam because hid plug only uses 2.Below is a pic of the bulb you are replacing with a HID bulb.
Attached Thumbnails 95 LS400 HID problem-21e-3hlucll__sl500_aa300_.jpg  

Last edited by Lexkost; 03-25-11 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-27-11, 08:48 PM
LS400BOY
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow im goin thre the same problem!!! got a 8k kit hooked everything up but my lowbeams didnt work?? so i put it on the high beams and it did work!! strange plus when its on high beam the high beam light aint on the dash nomore?? crazzy but i need it on low beam
Old 03-30-11, 06:41 AM
LS400BOY
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ttt to the top
Old 03-30-11, 07:16 AM
BunthaKev
Rookie

You should have used a test light to install in the first place. Gets rid of the polarity issue. you can get one at Walmart for like $5.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 LS400 HID problem