LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

96 LS400 EGR Tube location

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-11, 05:50 PM
yuyo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry 96 LS400 EGR Tube location

So car runs fine but when u press the gas it sounds bad took it to a shop to check it out left it there come to find out my erg tube is cracked is there a DYI on replacing the tube or a diagram to show the location and bolts that need to be remove to replace the part if so can some one help please I hate that noise makes me not even want to drive it.....
Old 03-06-11, 07:20 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 293 Likes on 241 Posts

true story, before i fixed my egr tube i sealed up the noisy bit by taking a thick aluminum drink can, cutting it to the outline of the egr tube gasket, and then sandwiching the aluminum piece between the egr tube end and the exhaust manifold. it quieted things down nicely for a few years until i actually changed the egr tube, and it took only about 20 minutes.
Old 03-06-11, 08:13 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Last year I had the pleasure (exagerrated) of replacing the starter on my 1996 LS400. It turned out that my EGR tube was damaged as well. I can tell you that I did not have to drop the tranny and/or the CAT. Obviously you will have to remove the front passenger tire. I had enough room to loosen the two bolts on the bottom of the EGR tube. I sprayed Liquid Wrench on the bolts and waited about 30 minutes before attempting it. I managed to reach the bolts by working my right hand from the front area of the EGR tube. I then used a deep well socket to loosen the bolts. Actually it was mor difficult to loosen the top bolts because the firewell is so close. I then fed the new tube from the top. You may have to wiggle it a bit but you will get it. I was amazed at how easy it was. On my first attempt, I attempted to loosen the CAT and it wasn't pretty. The bolts are not easy to break. Thank God I took a break. I could have created some unnecessary damage....
NOTE: this was copied from another post, my nephew Jon replaced mine...

Last edited by billydpowe; 05-25-13 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-07-11, 07:37 AM
yuyo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by billydpowe
last year i had the pleasure (exagerrated) of replacing the starter on my 1996 ls400. It turned out that my egr tube was damaged as well. I can tell you that i did not have to drop the tranny and/or the cat. Obviously you will have to remove the front passenger tire. I had enough room to loosen the two bolts on the bottom of the egr tube. I sprayed liquid wrench on the bolts and waited about 30 minutes before attempting it. I managed to reach the bolts by working my right hand from the front area of the egr tube. I then used a deep well socket to loosen the bolts. Actually it was mor difficult to loosen the top bolts because the firewell is so close. I then fed the new tube from the top. You may have to wiggle it a bit but you will get it. I was amazed at how easy it was. On my first attempt, i attempted to loosen the cat and it wasn't pretty. The bolts are not easy to break. Thank god i took a break. I could have created some unnecessary damage....
Copied from another post

thanks i will try to replace it today
Old 03-07-11, 08:16 AM
nickels626
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think i will follow suite because my car is doing the same thing, with the noise and uncoothness lol.
Old 03-07-11, 10:52 AM
yuyo
Driver School Candidate

ok so i found the bottom 2 bolts but cnt seem to locate the top ones any help please
Old 03-07-11, 12:40 PM
renato902
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sdls
true story, before i fixed my egr tube i sealed up the noisy bit by taking a thick aluminum drink can, cutting it to the outline of the egr tube gasket, and then sandwiching the aluminum piece between the egr tube end and the exhaust manifold. it quieted things down nicely for a few years until i actually changed the egr tube, and it took only about 20 minutes.
What kind of drinks can? Just a plain old soda can?

Last year I had the pleasure (exagerrated) of replacing the starter on my 1996 LS400. It turned out that my EGR tube was damaged as well. I can tell you that I did not have to drop the tranny and/or the CAT. Obviously you will have to remove the front passenger tire. I had enough room to loosen the two bolts on the bottom of the EGR tube. I sprayed Liquid Wrench on the bolts and waited about 30 minutes before attempting it. I managed to reach the bolts by working my right hand from the front area of the EGR tube. I then used a deep well socket to loosen the bolts. Actually it was mor difficult to loosen the top bolts because the firewell is so close. I then fed the new tube from the top. You may have to wiggle it a bit but you will get it. I was amazed at how easy it was. On my first attempt, I attempted to loosen the CAT and it wasn't pretty. The bolts are not easy to break. Thank God I took a break. I could have created some unnecessary damage....
copied from another post
Hey Billy, you think you can post pics? If not, how are you able to see the EGR pipe from the passenger wheel well? Did you remove the fender liner? Also, approximately how many miles did your car have when you did this and was it a UCF10 or a UCF20? Thanks
Old 03-07-11, 01:55 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

NOTE: copied from another post.... I just posted this to help others. on mine I removed the cat (RHS) and done it from the bottom. it was on my 97 LS. 155k

my 99's dont have them.
Old 03-07-11, 03:35 PM
renato902
Pole Position

Ah sorry bout that Billy and thanks for the info
Old 03-08-11, 12:46 PM
renato902
Pole Position

Last year I had the pleasure (exagerrated) of replacing the starter on my 1996 LS400. It turned out that my EGR tube was damaged as well...
What thread did this come from?
Old 03-08-11, 02:03 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=68772
Old 03-09-11, 12:53 PM
yuyo
Driver School Candidate

ok so i finally atlas am able to see the top 2 bolts so i went over to kragen's picked up an extension and a deep socket 12mm.. I;m now waiting for the car to cool down so i can get this over with will update step by step pics soon as possible hopefully it works......
Old 03-09-11, 08:48 PM
yuyo
Driver School Candidate

So I finally got it going I was able to take the nuts and one of the top screws but was not able to take the top lower screw i tried for at least 3 hours but wasn't able good thing I have a few friends that work for the dealer so as soon as daylight comes im going to go pick up a few tools that are needed..... pics coming soon
Old 03-12-11, 11:32 PM
renato902
Pole Position

I want picsss!!
Old 05-24-13, 07:09 PM
jqzhang
Driver School Candidate

Hi,
I got a 95 LS400. The similar problem with lower EGR pipe. I heard some guys did it for 30 minutes. They must be extremely handy because I spent over 6 hours to take off the CAT. The bolts are like being welded to the nuts. I believe I have all the tools that I need: a few air chisels, wrenches, baby ratchets and air/eletric impact guns and more. The PB Blust doesn't work well, or no help at all. I have no choice but use a grinder with cutting wheels to cut the bolts. One of the 3 bolts of the CAT is hidden inside and the grinder cannot reach. I use one of the chisels of long shank to break the nut, so the stud is not broken but I need to tap the thread.

My problem now is, after the CAT off and the 2 nuts at the lower end, hard to reach the upper 2 bolts holding the pipe to the water bridge. They might get frozen too since using an impact wrench not helping. I know why some people have to drop the tranny. If tranny is gone, that shouldn't be a problem.

What about do it from under the hood? But removing the engine wire on the firewall should be a pain in the neck too.

Please help me out there. Btw, I replaced the starter a couple of years ago, which wasn't any fun at all; now the pipe. I'd never buy LS400 again: it's extremely hard to maintain. Really miss old American cars: you could sit inside the engine compartment doing whatever you wanted. Not any more because of the emission stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: 96 LS400 EGR Tube location