LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ack! Drivers side controls are complicated!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-02, 02:55 AM
Lvangundy

Default Ack! Drivers side controls are complicated!

With my curiosity for trying to make all my windows have the auto down function, I made more problems than I wanted!

If anyone ever tries to open up the drivers side controls for the windows and locks be careful! That area is extremely intricate and can be messed up pretty easily. I didn't have my camera so I couldn't take any pics, otherwise I woud have. I need some assistance or it's off to buy a new unit.

To get the control unit you need to insert a screw driver closest to the rear of the car and pop up the plastic the wood is glued to. Not the wood! Then pull it back towards the rear of the car and lift. There is a fat white cable that needs to be removed, just push on the clip and push/pull it out.

Once you remove the plastic top piece that the wood is glued to with 3 silver screws, you can get to the unit itself which has 5 black screws connecting the top to the bottom piece. After you remove these, SLOWLY take off the top part.

You will see all the copper and metal parts connected to the bottom white plastic part. The buttons stay attached to the top black plastic part. As I said SLOWLY take off the top part be sure that the button for 'WINDOW LOCK' stays connected to the top part of the switch. This is where I had the biggest problem. Also looks out for the 5 or 6 small springs which do something, haven't figured it out yet. When I opended mine up I found them all laying in one little section of the plastic and had made contacts with the metal and burned the plastic. I was doing this like 20 mins ago at night and when I reconnected the controls to test them I could see those springs making contact and sparking the connectors.

That piece itself has some really small components like a piece of metal about as big as a single staple which holds some other piece of metal. I screwed that part up an now I can't get it back together.

I will try to get pics, but right now my drivers side is all disconnected and slapped back in so I could at least roll the windows down and lock the car ;-( !

Not sure what the point of this post is until I can get pics, but it's frustrating!

Last edited by Lvangundy; 08-22-02 at 03:00 AM.
Old 08-23-02, 05:58 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ah, darn those japanese with the tiny fingers ay?
Old 08-23-02, 12:03 PM
Lvangundy

Default update

That's funny..that's something my grandfather always complained about when working on Japanese cars..I guess he's used to those big half empty engine bays on chunky american cars!

So UPDATE! I brought the unit and all the littlle pieces to a friend who is very mechanially inclined and he was able to fix everything. SO, the controls are back in the door until I go purchase my white LED's to replace the dim green lights in the window controls!

Next project here I come!