LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Tune up gone bad!! HELP REALLY NEEDED BAD!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-11, 06:08 AM
jpaulmac
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tune up gone bad!! HELP REALLY NEEDED BAD!

Yesterday i replaced my 92 LS's spark plugs and wires. When i removed all the plugs and tried to clean around the engine with a degreaser, i accidentally sprayed some inside the plug chamber without the plugs in it. i doubled check and triple checked every plugs to the right location and everything was ok, until i fired up the engine. it sounded like its not getting any current. it idles good but when i rev the car it wont go pass 3k rpm! I NEED HELP. did the greaser do the problem im having??? i didnt do anything wrong with the replacement of the plugs and wires. Please help guys!!!!
Old 02-28-11, 06:48 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

sounds like you have the firing order off. check the wires. chances are they are routed to the caps wrong.
Old 02-28-11, 06:54 AM
andyman32
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you spray the degreaser in to the pug wells with the plugs out (i.e., the degreaser got down into the cylinders) or with the ignition wires out (i.e., the degreaser pooled in the wells)?

It's bad if it got down into the cylinders but probably not the end of the world. Try letting it run a while to burn off the crap. It's bound to run badly with that stuff in there.

If it's sitting in a pool on top of the plugs it could be causing arcing between the plug and the cam cover. I'd just dab as much as you can with paper towels, remove the plug, wipe it out, and put them back in.
Old 02-28-11, 06:56 AM
andyman32
Rookie

Originally Posted by williamb82
sounds like you have the firing order off. check the wires. chances are they are routed to the caps wrong.
Good point - agreed there too - but you'd have 2 dead cylinders and repeated misfire if two wires were accidentally swapped. That would be really rough running. Do you hear 'popping' sounds coming from the exhaust? Very lumpy idle?
Old 02-28-11, 07:23 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Originally Posted by andyman32
Good point - agreed there too - but you'd have 2 dead cylinders and repeated misfire if two wires were accidentally swapped. That would be really rough running. Do you hear 'popping' sounds coming from the exhaust? Very lumpy idle?
not necisarily. this is a v8. depending what 2 cylinders are swapped as to how it will run. youd be surprised how well itll run with say cylinders 1 and 7(I believe those are the ones i swapped.) swapped. ive done this on purpose troubleshooting a previous issue i had and did this. it actually ran better when i did it, though my issue was the drivers side exhaust cam was lined up wrong at the time.
Old 02-28-11, 07:23 AM
jpaulmac
Driver School Candidate

i checked all the wires with a lexus wiring diagram and all are in place the way it should. I checked the previous plugs that i removed and compared it to the new ones after i removed them to see if they are wet. sure enough they were black and a little wet and smelled like a degreaser. what should i do from this point on?
Old 02-28-11, 07:27 AM
jpaulmac
Driver School Candidate

Did you spray the degreaser in to the pug wells with the plugs out (i.e., the degreaser got down into the cylinders) or with the ignition wires out (i.e., the degreaser pooled in the wells)?

It's bad if it got down into the cylinders but probably not the end of the world. Try letting it run a while to burn off the crap. It's bound to run badly with that stuff in there.

If it's sitting in a pool on top of the plugs it could be causing arcing between the plug and the cam cover. I'd just dab as much as you can with paper towels, remove the plug, wipe it out, and put them back in.
Yes, the degreaser got down into the plug wells without the plugs in it. I removed the plugs again and sure enough it was covered with black particles and wet and smelled like a degreaser. all the wires are connected right to its original places, i even printed a diagram from a local lexus dealership and sure enough all were right.
Old 02-28-11, 07:42 AM
williamb82
Advanced

clean the plugs and put them back in. a wire wheel on a drill or a wire brush will clean them. how much of this degreaser did you get in the cylinder? must have been a ton to cause this issue.
Old 02-28-11, 07:51 AM
jpaulmac
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by williamb82
clean the plugs and put them back in. a wire wheel on a drill or a wire brush will clean them. how much of this degreaser did you get in the cylinder? must have been a ton to cause this issue.
just a bit sprayed, not a whole lot. I spoke to a lexus mechanic and he said that, that thing should burn quick. he asked me to diagnose each cylinder and make sure they are all firing, if not then one of the coils is bad.
Old 02-28-11, 08:06 AM
andyman32
Rookie

Yeah, I would expect the degreaser to cause it to run lumpy then burn off. If you're 100% sure that the ignition order isn't off you might have a bad ignition coil. But the degreaser may have just gunked up the spark plugs.
Old 02-28-11, 08:08 AM
williamb82
Advanced

if a coil was bad, 4 cylinders wouldnt be running. you wouldnt have to rev it to know there was a problem. i still think you just need to clean the plugs and try again. prolly just fouled up due to the degreaser. i just hope none of it got past the rings into the oil. thatll tear the bearings up fast!
Old 02-28-11, 09:16 AM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check AFM--------------
Old 02-28-11, 10:23 AM
jerryparks
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would try and burn out the crap as the upper member suggested. If that does not work, I would take out the new plugs and get another set and installl them. That degreaser may have messed up the plugs.
Old 02-28-11, 11:15 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

So long as you have the wires in the correct order, just let it run. This will burn and expel the stuff off during combustion. The grit isn't a good thing but this one time won't send your ride to the junk yard. Anytime I've needed to clean this area, I leave the plugs in and make sure to wipe or flush the area out.
Old 02-28-11, 11:46 AM
Dtwillis5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is they gap right?

Quick Reply: Tune up gone bad!! HELP REALLY NEEDED BAD!