LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

dealer = good deal on timing belt job

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-11, 06:38 PM
neostar43
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealer = good deal on timing belt job

my 93 lexus never had a timing belt change, has 141k miles. So, just had my timing belt, timing belt tensioner, & drive belt changed for...

$550 at charles barker lexus in virginia.

UNBELIEVABLE.

A place that specialized in japanese cars wanted $1400 plus tax.

I did not even think to call the dealership b/c I just knew they were going to be more. So, just took a shot and called for a price. they told me the price and I had to ask if the number that i called was lexus. guy said yes it was the lexus dealership that I called.

Luckily, I also had a 10% off which brought the regular price down.

No longer the stealership. Charles Barker Lexus is the givership. (that sounded cooler in my mind)
Old 02-25-11, 08:21 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

I hope they replaced the water pump too.........
Old 02-25-11, 09:05 PM
NjRican
Driver

If they didn't change the water pump they just robbed you. If your water pump goes out your going to have to redo everything.
Old 02-25-11, 09:25 PM
FlyGuydar
Rookie

ahh man that would suck ^

btw u sound lyk a infomercial lol
Old 02-25-11, 09:52 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

It would be interesting if they didn't recommend replacing the water pump. you would think they would, right?
Old 02-25-11, 11:14 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

$550 sounds pretty sketch when the OEM parts alone with discount come out to ~$450+....
Old 02-26-11, 04:45 AM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, it sounds like they are trying to pull a fast one. @ 141k on the clock the WP hasn't been changed is suspect. I had the local Toyota stealership in Conyers, GA (Yes Stone Crest Toyota) change my TB/WP and didn't change the cam seals which I thought they did. Long story short all the oil leaked out and of course on my new TB. They told me they were not responsible, but they didn't even recommend it. I had the same job done on my '95 and it was included in the job.....WTF?? I noticed the leakage all the way in freakin' NYC of all places and basically had to pay out of pocket again to do the whole job over of course including the seals, well minus the WP. They will never get a blind cent from me again!
Old 02-26-11, 07:32 AM
neostar43
Driver School Candidate

I called both lexus dealers in my area and they said they check the water pump for leaks, if it is not leaking they just change what is needed. and to be honest, i drive the car through one tank of gas a month and it is not a primary car so, I was not really trying to spend a lot.

yeah, it does sound like a cheesy informercial.

If the car does start to overheat due to the water pump, I will just have to pay up. however, i really didnt have 1400 to spend right at the time. but i did have $550
Old 02-26-11, 08:00 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

car wont overheat due to a water pump being bad..they leak or the bearing fails
Old 02-26-11, 08:56 AM
sethjon
Driver

Originally Posted by neostar43
my 93 lexus never had a timing belt change, has 141k miles. So, just had my timing belt, timing belt tensioner, & drive belt changed for...

UNBELIEVABLE.

I did not even think to call the dealership b/c I just knew they were going to be more. So, just took a shot and called for a price. they told me the price and I had to ask if the number that i called was lexus. guy said yes it was the lexus dealership that I called.

No longer the stealership. Charles Barker Lexus is the givership. (that sounded cooler in my mind)
This is a miracle. My dealer gets $1500 for that.
Old 02-26-11, 08:59 AM
sethjon
Driver

Originally Posted by neostar43

UNBELIEVABLE.

This is fantastic. The parts alone would be around $150. You didn't mention the seals which may have needed it and probably did. Also, the water pump is something that ABSOLUTELY should be done because when it goes, and it will, you will have to pay again for the same labor.
Old 02-26-11, 09:02 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

I wouldn't trust a dealer like that. I mean, they only change what ya tell them to instead of suggesting to change the parts that actually should be changed? Like the WP and the seals, another couple hundred bucks and you wouldn't be wondering right now if they're gonna go bad. The dealer didn't tell you all that so when they do go bad they can charge you double to do this same job over again. That's why I do my own work, so if something goes wrong I know who to blame, ME.
Just wondering, why did you have the belt changed? Was it not running right?
Old 02-26-11, 09:47 AM
neostar43
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by python
car wont overheat due to a water pump being bad..they leak or the bearing fails
thanks for the clarification
Old 02-26-11, 09:53 AM
neostar43
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by deanshark
I wouldn't trust a dealer like that. I mean, they only change what ya tell them to instead of suggesting to change the parts that actually should be changed? Like the WP and the seals, another couple hundred bucks and you wouldn't be wondering right now if they're gonna go bad. The dealer didn't tell you all that so when they do go bad they can charge you double to do this same job over again. That's why I do my own work, so if something goes wrong I know who to blame, ME.
Just wondering, why did you have the belt changed? Was it not running right?
if it wasnt for the visible cracks in the belt, i wouldnt have worried about changing it, but due to the cracks, age of the belt and a great price, i had it changed.
Old 02-26-11, 09:54 AM
neostar43
Driver School Candidate

the car was running good, its noticeably quieter now though

Quick Reply: dealer = good deal on timing belt job