LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

99 LS 400 Hit in Driveway :( w/ Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-11, 10:04 AM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 99 LS 400 Hit in Driveway :( w/ Pics

Hey, haven't posted in awhile, but just wanted to share my recent incident.

I JUST turned over 150,000 miles, and of course missed the pic by 1 mile, but oh well.

Yesterday I got hit in my own driveway by my sister's friend in her Escape (high rear bumper). I'm not really sure how she managed to hit me other than she just didn't look and ran into me while backing up, either way she knocked the CRAP out of it.

What was left of my headlight lens flew all the way across the driveway.....

Went to a Toyota Collision Center near us and they quoted me $5500 for repair!!! He quoted me using original parts, and just said he always has a hard time locating good refurbished parts for these LS's, but it may be cheaper, he was just kind of giving me the maximum price.

Here's the damage:
Hood: $900
Bumper Cover: $600
Bumper Reinforcement Bar: $500 (said it was bent and by state law they have to replace)
Headlight (HID): $1500
Paint, Labor, fees: $1500 (inc. repair and respray of drivers fender also, it got bent at the very front but bad enough to replace)
6-8 day repair time

I'll also probably have to purchase another headlight lens for the un-damaged headlight just so they look the same. My headlights are/were kind of yellow even after I polished them but at least they looked the same. I don't want to be the bum with one yellow and one new clear light driving around.

Its going to be covered under their insurance, but I'm not trying to take them to the cleaners by any means. Just feel bad my baby got this much damage in the driveway.

I doubt it would be totaled by any means, but I have heard crazier things happening, and the thought has crossed my mind. I know the rules for totaling a vehicle are different from state to state and company to company but I've heard that generally if the repair is between 51% and 81% the total value, they can total it.

KBB for Excellent Private Party on mine was only $7300.

Oh well, not a big deal, I'm just sad I'll be without my car for a week or two coming up soon. The most I've ever been separated from her in the last 3+ years was for 2 days when the starter went out.

I would have assumed just to get a bumper respray.....but that giant paint chip in my front bumper will be gone.

Just needed to vent a little......I feel better now.
Attached Thumbnails 99 LS 400 Hit in Driveway :(   w/ Pics-imag0048.jpg   99 LS 400 Hit in Driveway :(   w/ Pics-imag0052.jpg   99 LS 400 Hit in Driveway :(   w/ Pics-imag0053.jpg   99 LS 400 Hit in Driveway :(   w/ Pics-imag0055.jpg   99 LS 400 Hit in Driveway :(   w/ Pics-imag0056.jpg  

Old 02-18-11, 01:46 PM
Imperium11
Driver

ugh stupid people driving vehicles too big for them
atleast its getting fixed and your not paying for it
Old 02-18-11, 03:27 PM
yuyo
Driver School Candidate

damn thats messed up sorry to hear that
Old 02-18-11, 03:28 PM
Mikem80
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Similar incident

Back in 03, I had just purchased a super clean blk on blk LS400, only 40k, no navigation, but very nice. Anyway, I had the car about a week and while leaving the carwash, one of the employees hit me head on, on a one-way exit only. I couldn't believe it, but she came back looking great with brand new lights, bumper and hood, and I put $1000 in my pocket. Tough break, but at least she had insurance.
Old 02-18-11, 04:18 PM
nickels626
Rookie

oh my god the injustice i like the color its the lighter rose color that i have
Old 02-18-11, 05:44 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ouch! Thank God the A/B didn't deploy, then it wouldn't be worth fixing.
Old 02-18-11, 07:10 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

:O
saddd
Old 02-18-11, 07:15 PM
Dtwillis5
Pole Position

Default qoute

Originally Posted by TMaxxTim
Hey, haven't posted in awhile, but just wanted to share my recent incident.

I JUST turned over 150,000 miles, and of course missed the pic by 1 mile, but oh well.

Yesterday I got hit in my own driveway by my sister's friend in her Escape (high rear bumper). I'm not really sure how she managed to hit me other than she just didn't look and ran into me while backing up, either way she knocked the CRAP out of it.

What was left of my headlight lens flew all the way across the driveway.....

Went to a Toyota Collision Center near us and they quoted me $5500 for repair!!! He quoted me using original parts, and just said he always has a hard time locating good refurbished parts for these LS's, but it may be cheaper, he was just kind of giving me the maximum price.

Here's the damage:
Hood: $900
Bumper Cover: $600
Bumper Reinforcement Bar: $500 (said it was bent and by state law they have to replace)
Headlight (HID): $1500
Paint, Labor, fees: $1500 (inc. repair and respray of drivers fender also, it got bent at the very front but bad enough to replace)
6-8 day repair time

I'll also probably have to purchase another headlight lens for the un-damaged headlight just so they look the same. My headlights are/were kind of yellow even after I polished them but at least they looked the same. I don't want to be the bum with one yellow and one new clear light driving around.

Its going to be covered under their insurance, but I'm not trying to take them to the cleaners by any means. Just feel bad my baby got this much damage in the driveway.

I doubt it would be totaled by any means, but I have heard crazier things happening, and the thought has crossed my mind. I know the rules for totaling a vehicle are different from state to state and company to company but I've heard that generally if the repair is between 51% and 81% the total value, they can total it.

KBB for Excellent Private Party on mine was only $7300.

Oh well, not a big deal, I'm just sad I'll be without my car for a week or two coming up soon. The most I've ever been separated from her in the last 3+ years was for 2 days when the starter went out.

I would have assumed just to get a bumper respray.....but that giant paint chip in my front bumper will be gone.

Just needed to vent a little......I feel better now.
You should've got a adjuster he would gave you how much he thought it would take to get fix and you could've took you car to a cheap body shop and pocket a couple of thousands
Old 02-21-11, 12:02 PM
nickels626
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dtwillis5
You should've got a adjuster he would gave you how much he thought it would take to get fix and you could've took you car to a cheap body shop and pocket a couple of thousands
exactly then you could go VIP with the extra cash lol
Old 02-21-11, 12:29 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dtwillis5
Yeah, I'm sure I could get it repaired for less somewhere, but I'm not looking for a half-assed repair job though. The car may have 150k on it, but it was still in excellent condition, especially the paint. On top of that my color is probably not the easiest to match and blend, so I'm taking it to a good repair place.

I've seen cheap repair jobs, and its exactly what they are, a cheap job. There always ends up being orange-peel, stuff not lining up like it should, etc. And then nobody at the repair place wants to fix it or stand behind their work after its done. I'm not looking to make a profit off of it, I just want the damn thing fixed right and to look right when its done.

As far as the VIP route goes, I know some people like it, and thats fine, some peoples cars look great with it, but you'll never see me slam an LS, put a body-kit on it, and some 20's so I can have a terrible ride and bend the rims over every pothole I hit and scrape the bumper over every curb, its just not for me. The closest thing to big rims I'd get were the sport LS rims off the 04-06 430's, I like those
Old 02-21-11, 12:53 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TMaxxTim
Yeah, I'm sure I could get it repaired for less somewhere, but I'm not looking for a half-assed repair job though. The car may have 150k on it, but it was still in excellent condition, especially the paint. On top of that my color is probably not the easiest to match and blend, so I'm taking it to a good repair place.

I've seen cheap repair jobs, and its exactly what they are, a cheap job. There always ends up being orange-peel, stuff not lining up like it should, etc. And then nobody at the repair place wants to fix it or stand behind their work after its done. I'm not looking to make a profit off of it, I just want the damn thing fixed right and to look right when its done.

As far as the VIP route goes, I know some people like it, and thats fine, some peoples cars look great with it, but you'll never see me slam an LS, put a body-kit on it, and some 20's so I can have a terrible ride and bend the rims over every pothole I hit and scrape the bumper over every curb, its just not for me. The closest thing to big rims I'd get were the sport LS rims off the 04-06 430's, I like those
I think you and I are a minority when it comes to disliking slamming and huge rims. Your beautiful Lexus deserves a proper body repair job. After that's done file a lawsuit against your sisters friend...I'm no lawyer...but I'm willing to work for free.
Old 02-21-11, 04:10 PM
andyman32
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's really a shame. Lucky the carelessness was done in an Escape and not a Surburban or Yukon, it would have made a pancake out of the engine and front suspension.

(not someone all that fond of SUVs to begin with here...)

Nice color on the car, by the way. Very nice. Hope you get it fixed up like new. At 150k it's barely over the hill!
Old 02-21-11, 04:46 PM
radiokilla
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The driveway should be the safest place!!! I'm so sorry that happened. At least it wasn't a hit and run.
Old 02-21-11, 07:56 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

haha i understand you trying to be cool about it though get it fixed right though..., colors not for me but is it rare?, ive never seen it here before ever. I like a mild drop and nice rims as long as its mild.
Old 02-21-11, 08:22 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Originally Posted by willhickey
haha i understand you trying to be cool about it though get it fixed right though..., colors not for me but is it rare?, ive never seen it here before ever. I like a mild drop and nice rims as long as its mild.
I'm not sure how many were painted this color, but I know it is one of the rarer colors. I've only ever seen 2 others driving around in the 3+ years I've had the car.

I guess lexuslspro is right and we are in the minority. I don't know why everybody's first comments are always "drop it and put some rims on it". If I want a sportier/stiffer ride, I'll whip the IS 350 around.

I feel like when you add a stiffer suspension and bigger rims (which also adds to a stiffer ride), then you're taking away everything thats good about the LS. I know it doesn't have to be slammed, but still. I can understand why people do it on the SC's, I always wanted to drop mine a little and get some bigger rims on it, but thats a 2-door sports car...so it makes a lot more sense. I guess it will only get worse as they get older and cheaper.

Its going in to start the repairs tomorrow, hopefully all will look great when its done, I'll post some pics. I'll be glad to be driving a fixed car around again, I hate driving a damaged car around, always makes me feel like people see it and then think I was the bad driver that did it.

Quick Reply: 99 LS 400 Hit in Driveway :( w/ Pics