LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1995 LS400 - Perfect to No Start in 5 seconds flat.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-11, 09:15 AM
Zoraone
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 1995 LS400 - Perfect to No Start in 5 seconds flat.

UPDATE (2/19/11) - Picked the car up. Running excellent. Independent shop replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter. I drove it around for a while and it honestly feels better than ever. Smoother idle, much stronger acceleration, it even seems to start a little quicker. So, fingers crossed, knocking on wood, this was a minor roadblock and just a good service item that I should have done sooner on a 16 year old car.

UPDATE (2/19/11) - Fuel Pump... Service tech called and said they installed a new fuel pump. The LS fired right up and is running smoothly. My total bill for the tow service, diagnostics and pump install was $748.97. Not the nicest news, but not terrible either. I went ahead and had them do the service as I just don't have the time right now to complete the fix.

UPDATE (2/19/11) - Got a call from the service center. Right now all is pointing to the fuel pump. The tech finally tracked down a blown fuse that controlled the PCM. I was told, replacing the fuse allowed communication to the PCM and they were able to use the diagnostic tools.

Also, a quick spray of starter fluid got the LS400 running again. Still won't start on its own fuel. But they had to close for the evening. If it is the pump. I'm tempted to pay the towing & diagnostics fee and replace the pump myself.

End Update ------

What is with all the non starting LS400s? I guess it was just time for me to join the club.

Basic information:
Car: 1995 LS400
Miles: 96k
Condition: Towed to Service Center (No Start)
Note: All basic service performed. Plugs, wires, cap rotor, etc performed about 2 years ago.

As the story goes. I parked my LS400 in my company garage and went on a 4 day trip. When I returned, I hopped in hoping for a nice drive back to my house to see the wife and child.

The LS400 started right up. No problem. I backed out, closed the garage door and began driving down the service road that exits our building.

After 500 feet or so the engine surged slightly. Giving a little more throttle (I'm driving 15mph), I thought maybe my foot hit the gas a little too hard.

Another 500 feet it did the same thing. ie, press the accelerator... nothing... then a surge to 1,500 rpm... then back to idle speed.

I pulled to the side of the service road and the LS died on me. Attempting to start resulted in only turning over. All lights, radio, etc functioned fine, but no fire. I had to push her the 1000 feet back to the office and park her in front.

I ultimately tried all the quick fixes. Disconnected the negative terminal on the battery. Checked all of the fuses in the electrical bay. I had a 1/2 tank of 93 octane BP fuel. The car was at or close to operating temperature when I drove away because the garage is fully heated and was a nice toasty 70 degrees.

Needless to say, I hung it up and grabbed the company truck and drove home.

The next day I brought my OBDII scanner. Plugging it in resulted in ZERO, Zilch, negative, codes being thrown. All data was being relayed. Throttle position was functioning, IAT, etc. The car just wouldn't fire.

I ended up having it towed to my local (independent) service center. They are looking at it now.

They are suggesting a PCM/ECU failure. Which I understand is possible. They hooked the car up and were not receiving any signal from the PCM/ECU and couldn't pull any codes.

They are continuing to work on it. We will see. It is a wonderful car.

Last edited by Zoraone; 02-19-11 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-18-11, 11:32 AM
etex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish I could offer a brilliant suggestion, but sounds like you are on top of it and have it in good hands. Keep us posted. Good luck.
Old 02-18-11, 11:38 AM
curepunx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to rule out the possibility of an ECM/ECU failure, have they tried checking the actual ignition system? If it's not firing up/dying shortly after, it's a strong possibility. I vaguely remember having an issue where my car would die and no longer start due to loose ignition coil connection. Before you throw $$ at it, make sure they take a throrough look at it. No start = begin with ignition/power relay.

Goodluck!

Last edited by curepunx; 02-18-11 at 11:39 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-18-11, 05:52 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Check your alternator!

How's the electrical, does the starter engage? Check your battery cables. Are they corroded? When they are it can effect and shut it off believe it or not, it has happened to me before. That will not throw any codes!
Old 02-19-11, 12:52 PM
Zoraone
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Added Updates to the top.

All is now well and driving smooth.