LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

hello all

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-11, 12:16 AM
mantastic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hello all

first of all I would like to say hello. have searched through the ls400's and finally decided to join in. I always wanted an ls400 and now I'm thinking about getting one. let me know what you all think and thanks in advance.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/2188471939.html

I have test driven it and looked around in and out the car. the car is in good condition as far as I can tell. no leaks anywhere that i could see. it starts up and drives smoothly. all electrical stuff works. the car gets about 22mpg from what it shows on instrument panel. clean title and 153,xxx and he's the second owner.

interior is in decent shape, little wear on steering wheel. on the body there is one little ding, nothing bad at all and on passenger side front bumper the chrome trim is kind of not sticking. no service records on had but claims to be well taken care of.

sorry for going on about it but just want to be sure. my plans if i were to get car is maybe some air suspension and some wheels. and thanks again.
Old 01-31-11, 12:46 AM
mantastic
Driver School Candidate

I know this might not be the best option but not 100% sure where to look. don't want to deal with car dealers due to there asking prices being 2k+ more than buying from private party. I live in the bay area and don't mind driving to the LA area. it probably maybe a lot to ask for others to help me look for a ls400, preferably 98-00 and lastly 95-97, in bay area, sac and LA area. like check some out and so on. but that would be great if anyone could help me out.
Old 01-31-11, 05:57 AM
Li Ls4
Lexus Champion

that looks like a clean car. just try and find out of the 100k tune up was done
Old 01-31-11, 12:11 PM
mantastic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Li Ls4
that looks like a clean car. just try and find out of the 100k tune up was done
Ok sounds good. How would I go about doing so? Because the guy bought it about a month ago for his wife but it was too big for her and he has no record. Is there a way of finding out with VIN#?
Old 01-31-11, 12:31 PM
Imperium11
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you would either haveto contact the previous owner or find out what dealership it was purchased from and they could look it up assuming the service was done there.

Personally i always find it rather odd when people dont get the previous records from someone , it almost feels like they are trying to hid something,
i would almost get the vehicle carfax checked or something similar to find out if it actually is accident free
Old 01-31-11, 12:45 PM
mantastic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Imperium11
you would either haveto contact the previous owner or find out what dealership it was purchased from and they could look it up assuming the service was done there.

Personally i always find it rather odd when people dont get the previous records from someone , it almost feels like they are trying to hid something,
i would almost get the vehicle carfax checked or something similar to find out if it actually is accident free
Thanks for advice
Old 01-31-11, 01:00 PM
etex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you provide the vin # to any dealer they can pull up records on the car. May ask you for proof of ownership... or may not.
Old 01-31-11, 01:14 PM
mantastic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by etex
If you provide the vin # to any dealer they can pull up records on the car. May ask you for proof of ownership... or may not.
Sweet, thanks. Might try that out.

I'm also looking at a 96 ls400. Any advice on what to look for when I check out car. Like some kind of check list I can go by when I check it out and drive.
Old 02-01-11, 11:13 AM
lexuskim
Rookie

Originally Posted by mantastic
Sweet, thanks. Might try that out.

I'm also looking at a 96 ls400. Any advice on what to look for when I check out car. Like some kind of check list I can go by when I check it out and drive.
Hi there and welcome. I just joined 2 weeks ago but, I didn't know this existed ,since I'm new to internet because of brain damage due from not wearing a helmet from a bicycle accident. Sorry to be so down but God gave me a 2nd chance after 25 (yes twenty five) brain surgeries. So wear a helmet. Anyway, I bought my '97 LS400 with 200k miles (mostly highway) from a used car dealer who said it was a 1 owner, retired banker. I thought Un Huh! My friend and I took it on a 3 hour test drive (we're both female) took it 60 miles on the highway, drove down gravel, dirt and asphalt roads, parked it in tight places, then took it to her house, wrote down VIN# and called local Lexus dealers who asked if I was Mr.....'s wife, to which I answered yes. Voile! I got the owners name who I called, It was true, he was the 1 and only owner. I took the car back to the used car dealer (right before years end when they have to clear cars out) and told them I'd be back. Waited 3 days ( a gamble but) Came back and offered $4k less off 9500k. They laughed and said they don't deal. I laughed and left for 2 days. Came back and they were all over me. I said "I don't deal after offering 3500k off the 9500k, then sat & made them so nervous after 2 hours of staring, they gave it to me for my price. Be sure to CARFAX it and call around to Lexus dealers to see if they serviced it. They are SOOO worth it. Good luck and God bless.
Old 02-01-11, 11:19 AM
lexuskim
Rookie

Default P.S. to Mantastic

I also took my '97 LS400 to 2 mechanics to simply look at the obvious before I made an offer. They were both free quotes but, then again I'm a female.
Old 02-02-11, 05:05 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

flagged for removal? epic failure
Old 02-02-11, 08:59 AM
mantastic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexuskim
Hi there and welcome. I just joined 2 weeks ago but, I didn't know this existed ,since I'm new to internet because of brain damage due from not wearing a helmet from a bicycle accident. Sorry to be so down but God gave me a 2nd chance after 25 (yes twenty five) brain surgeries. So wear a helmet. Anyway, I bought my '97 LS400 with 200k miles (mostly highway) from a used car dealer who said it was a 1 owner, retired banker. I thought Un Huh! My friend and I took it on a 3 hour test drive (we're both female) took it 60 miles on the highway, drove down gravel, dirt and asphalt roads, parked it in tight places, then took it to her house, wrote down VIN# and called local Lexus dealers who asked if I was Mr.....'s wife, to which I answered yes. Voile! I got the owners name who I called, It was true, he was the 1 and only owner. I took the car back to the used car dealer (right before years end when they have to clear cars out) and told them I'd be back. Waited 3 days ( a gamble but) Came back and offered $4k less off 9500k. They laughed and said they don't deal. I laughed and left for 2 days. Came back and they were all over me. I said "I don't deal after offering 3500k off the 9500k, then sat & made them so nervous after 2 hours of staring, they gave it to me for my price. Be sure to CARFAX it and call around to Lexus dealers to see if they serviced it. They are SOOO worth it. Good luck and God bless.

I also took my '97 LS400 to 2 mechanics to simply look at the obvious before I made an offer. They were both free quotes but, then again I'm a female.
wow lucky with the car

Originally Posted by python
flagged for removal? epic failure
not really epic failure, can always keep looking. its fine by me if it was flagged for removal. lots of people flag stuff that don't have money at the moment, this way no one else finds sellers post.
Old 02-02-11, 12:30 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

I checked that link yesterday and it came up as a Toyota pick up truck. Damn Craigslist scammers. You say you drove it and it showed the MPG on the instrument panel? I didn't know our cars had that option. What year was it?
Old 02-02-11, 12:37 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

98-00 have it on their multi-function lcd display.
Old 02-02-11, 01:19 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
98-00 have it on their multi-function lcd display.
See that, I learn something new every day. Thnx