LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

installed megan's, now 3 wheeling.. HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-11, 12:38 AM
Mizzark
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question installed megan's, now 3 wheeling.. HELP!!!

Hello all. I am new to the forum and just recently picked up my 95 LS this past Sunday. Let me start off with saying that I LOVE this car. I've been wanting one for about 3 years now and I finally found one when the time was right. I have purchased and installed my Megan coilovers and when I was reversing out of the driveway, my car was 3 wheeling(passenger rear tire was up in the air and was just spinning), which was no surprise. I assumed that these cars came with an LSD, but apparently I am incorrect. I know a lot of you run the Megan's, and I'm just wondering what you do when you're stuck up in the air like that and you're riding solo. Helpppp??

Yes I tried doing a search. If you can direct me to a similar post, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-28-11, 12:45 AM
Imperium11
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try adjusting them? did you not set them all similarly before installation, almost sounds like something was installed incorrectly
Old 01-28-11, 12:56 AM
Do.Man
Pole Position

yeah man adjust them..
Old 01-28-11, 06:03 AM
beeronus
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mizzark
Hello all. I am new to the forum and just recently picked up my 95 LS this past Sunday. Let me start off with saying that I LOVE this car. I've been wanting one for about 3 years now and I finally found one when the time was right. I have purchased and installed my Megan coilovers and when I was reversing out of the driveway, my car was 3 wheeling(passenger rear tire was up in the air and was just spinning), which was no surprise. I assumed that these cars came with an LSD, but apparently I am incorrect. I know a lot of you run the Megan's, and I'm just wondering what you do when you're stuck up in the air like that and you're riding solo. Helpppp??

Yes I tried doing a search. If you can direct me to a similar post, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
dam! can u take a pics plz??!
Old 01-28-11, 07:07 AM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

3 wheeling is normal on coilovers. because the spring rate is so much higher than stock springs there is not much droop. this means the tires come off the ground quicker.

angles will get you in/out everything. try to hit inclines at the most shallow angle possible.

another option is to drop your spring perch for more bump travel (raise the lower bracket to get back to desired height). dropping the spring perch has been portrayed to be a bad thing, but while doing some research i found that some racers (autox iirc) drop it. some were recommending as much as 50/50 bump/rebound. i think megan says an inch is acceptable.
Old 01-28-11, 07:08 AM
I'mStock
Pole Position

I think he means when backing out of his driveway, on an incline there is a moment where one wheel is airborne. The wheel being a drivewheel of a open diff'd car means it's just spinning.

When you back out of your driveway, do you have to take it at the angle you're taking it at? How low are you?
Old 01-28-11, 07:16 AM
Mizzark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Imperium11
try adjusting them? did you not set them all similarly before installation, almost sounds like something was installed incorrectly
Nothing was installed incorrectly. There's only 1 way to remove/install the stock suspension and replace it with the megans. It's natural for the car to 3 wheel with a coilover suspension. My 3 starions did it and my s13 did as well.. Only difference is that the LS has no LSD, so when the passenger rear is in the air, it doesn't send power to the rear driver wheel..

Originally Posted by Do.Man
yeah man adjust them..
What should i adjust? Dampening? Height? It isn't even that low. I'm on 20x10 on the rear and the rear isn't resting on the tire...

Originally Posted by beeronus
dam! can u take a pics plz??!
I shall post pics later with the car in the air...

Originally Posted by BLKonBLK98
3 wheeling is normal on coilovers. because the spring rate is so much higher than stock springs there is not much droop. this means the tires come off the ground quicker.

angles will get you in/out everything. try to hit inclines at the most shallow angle possible.

another option is to drop your spring perch for more bump travel (raise the lower bracket to get back to desired height). dropping the spring perch has been portrayed to be a bad thing, but while doing some research i found that some racers (autox iirc) drop it. some were recommending as much as 50/50 bump/rebound. i think megan says an inch is acceptable.
I'll try that. Thanks for your input!

Originally Posted by I'mStock
I think he means when backing out of his driveway, on an incline there is a moment where one wheel is airborne. The wheel being a drivewheel of a open diff'd car means it's just spinning.

When you back out of your driveway, do you have to take it at the angle you're taking it at? How low are you?
Yea, if i don't take it at that angle, i'll be scraping the crap out of my bumper.. it's a bad driveway...
Old 01-28-11, 07:56 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

get an lsd. for the mean time. try pressing the e-brake slightly while using the gas. the resistance on the free wheel should transfer some of the power to the other wheel. once both are back on the ground, release the e-brake.
Old 01-28-11, 09:38 AM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take it at less of an angle and let it scrape. Id rather scrape than be 3 wheelin and stuck
Old 01-28-11, 09:52 AM
Mizzark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by williamb82
get an lsd. for the mean time. try pressing the e-brake slightly while using the gas. the resistance on the free wheel should transfer some of the power to the other wheel. once both are back on the ground, release the e-brake.
I plan on getting an LSD soon.. just need to do some research on it first. That e-brake idea is a great idea. I'll try it out later..

Originally Posted by Vincent123
take it at less of an angle and let it scrape. Id rather scrape than be 3 wheelin and stuck
Very true. But I like keeping the car clean and more scraping=more scratches. I hope I win the lotto so I can buy air ride soon. Lol.

Thank you all for your input. If anyone else has something to share, please do so. I'm all ears.
Old 01-28-11, 09:58 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

go in the other way .
Old 01-28-11, 10:14 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

this is really just going to come down to practice+finesse.

i 3-wheel everytime i take the entrance to my driveway a little too shallow, in that case a LITTLE extra momentum will help you make it up/down the obstacle.
Old 01-28-11, 11:19 AM
Imperium11
Driver

Originally Posted by Mizzark
Nothing was installed incorrectly. There's only 1 way to remove/install the stock suspension and replace it with the megans. It's natural for the car to 3 wheel with a coilover suspension. My 3 starions did it and my s13 did as well.. Only difference is that the LS has no LSD, so when the passenger rear is in the air, it doesn't send power to the rear driver wheel..

What should i adjust? Dampening? Height? It isn't even that low. I'm on 20x10 on the rear and the rear isn't resting on the tire...

I shall post pics later with the car in the air...

I'll try that. Thanks for your input!

Yea, if i don't take it at that angle, i'll be scraping the crap out of my bumper.. it's a bad driveway...
no traction control?
Old 01-28-11, 12:17 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is nothing you can adjust to help, they don't have much dropp travel, that's just the design.

Just back out with enough momentum to get you past that dip area and you'll be fine, same with coming into the driveway.
Old 01-28-11, 01:27 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^very true, if i go to slow and my wheel lifts a bit, i'm stuck. But if enter with a little bit more speed, even though it lifts a little it will still catch and i wont get stuck

Quick Reply: installed megan's, now 3 wheeling.. HELP!!!