LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

DRL defeat? and foglights +hibeam?

Old 01-23-11, 04:56 PM
Imperium11
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DRL defeat? and foglights +hibeam? 1992

Alright so i have two seperate questions but they are both lighting related so here goes

#1 Is there any way to defeat the DRL system, i tried pulling out the DRL fuse and all it did was put it into permanent DRL mode, i want to install HID's and they do not get along very well with DRL as they will flicker and die prematurely. Car is 1992 and canadian

yes i know drls are there for a reason but i want to install hids and i generally drive with my lights always on

#2 Is there an easy way of having the fog lights on while the HI beams are? or do i have to get creative with wiring and a relay

Last edited by Imperium11; 02-16-11 at 01:13 AM.
Old 01-24-11, 01:32 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

posting the year of your car and if its a specifically canadian market model will help
Old 01-24-11, 10:30 AM
Imperium11
Driver

err woops,92 and it is canadian
Old 01-27-11, 04:30 PM
Imperium11
Driver

anyone?
or am i stuck turning on my hids all the time
could i maybe wire a switch into the parking brake? so it thinks its pressed in a notch and therefore my headlights dont turn on automatically
Old 01-27-11, 05:18 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

From what I've seen, it has seemed like the most efficient way to get the least response to a question on an automobile forum has been to tell people what you don't want to hear.

That said, you have to remember that this is mainly a U.S. forum and that the U.S. spec LS400 didn't have DRL until 1998. Even then, the U.S. 1998-2000 LS400 DRL and headlight wiring system is quite different than the Canadian system.

Also, the headlight lenses on both the U.S. and Canadian 1992 LS400 don't work at all well with HID conversions -- light scatters and oncoming drivers are blinded.

There have been fairly recent threads about adapting Eagle Eyes aftermarket headlight units, made for the 93-94 LS400, to the 90-92 LS400 and even installing projector HID in them although they will not have self leveling like most all cars with factory HID. You can find these thread by doing a search.

Have they rescinded the requirement for DRL in Canada? The reason I ask is that one of my Ontario cousins recently had to have a DRL kit installed when he imported a U.S. spec car just to get his car through Canadian customs.
Old 01-27-11, 05:52 PM
radiokilla
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a problem with HID's too dude. I noticed that the HID's I bought had 2 prongs instead of the 3 that the OEM ones have. I didnt think it was a big deal, however It ended up bypassing my turn signals and foglights and only ran the main lights. It was no bueno so I yanked em on out and im looking into alternative solutions.
Old 01-28-11, 12:21 AM
Imperium11
Driver

Originally Posted by radiokilla
I've had a problem with HID's too dude. I noticed that the HID's I bought had 2 prongs instead of the 3 that the OEM ones have. I didnt think it was a big deal, however It ended up bypassing my turn signals and foglights and only ran the main lights. It was no bueno so I yanked em on out and im looking into alternative solutions.
is it possible you got hids for your foglights (h3c bulb) instead of the main lights (9004 bulb)
Old 02-16-11, 01:13 AM
Imperium11
Driver

can anyone help please? im sure someone knows the answer
Old 02-16-11, 03:36 AM
doyo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is, indeed, possible to disable the DRLs for your specific model. I can't remember what the relay/module was called, off the top of my head, but give me a day or two and I can go find it again. It is somewhere near the brake pedal. I believe the trick was that one of the wires going into the relay was from the parking brake, and cutting that wire stopped the DRLs from turning on. The DRL is activated by a signal when releasing the parking brake. I'll see if I can get a picture of it, it wasn't too hard to reach, IIRC.

I'm not sure which years of LS400 this defeat applies to, but I, too, have a Canadian 1992, so it should be the same. As for the Fogs + High setup, you'll have to dig around behind the kickpanel to find the relay box. Search the forums and you should find a diagram/how-to for rewiring the foglight relay. I've yet to do that, so I cannot help anymore unless I decide to try it.

BTW, which part of BC are you in?
Old 02-16-11, 06:28 AM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's easy. Turn the headlight switch to on. DRL's never come on again. HID's stay on all the time. This is what I have done. The HIDs in my previous car ('06 STi) did this from the factory and I never changed the bulbs in 3 years of driving.
You can then add a separate switch to control the fogs. Here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-95-ls400.html & here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-complete.html should help.
Old 02-16-11, 12:03 PM
Imperium11
Driver

its just a pain doing it all the time, and if you lend the car to someone you haveo make sure they do it, not that hid bulbs arent cheap its just annoying
also those links are for 95+ said 94 and under are different
Old 02-17-11, 11:21 PM
doyo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Imperium11
its just a pain doing it all the time, and if you lend the car to someone you haveo make sure they do it, not that hid bulbs arent cheap its just annoying
While it is going to be different between generations, I can't imagine it'd be too different. Maybe the relay will be in a different place, maybe it'll have different colors, but I would think the process is the same. Only way to find out would be to get an electrical diagram, and dig in.

Back to the DRLs, I haven't had time to actually remove the part or find the wire I actually cut, but it's a lot easier to find than I remembered. It's held on by 1 10mm bolt, I think it was. If you can take it out and see the label, Googling should net you which pin will take care of the DRLs. Or wait another day or two for when I dig in there again. If this thingy isn't in there in your car, I'm not sure where else it could be.
Attached Thumbnails DRL defeat? and foglights +hibeam?-thisdude.jpg   DRL defeat? and foglights +hibeam?-thisdude2.jpg  
Old 02-18-11, 04:15 AM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Imperium11
Huh? Do what all the time? You turn them on once and never touch it again.
You're making this too complicated. Worst case you tell the lendee "leave the lights on".
Done.