LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

suspension advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-11, 01:32 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension advice

'93 LS 400 237,000km's assume suspension has never been touched. Notice in the pic below how the rear sits low.

Also, when I had 5 in the car it felt like I had 2" of travel and it would bottom on a pebble. Lexus dealer had for a test drive quote" suspension is soft and saggy handles poorly indicating worn springs" however advice from this forum rules out the springs from wearing out using evidence that no-one buysthem and the metallurgy is just too good these days.

So I figure a new set of OEM shocks should do it on a budget. Question is there are regular and heavy duty OEM shocks available for the rear. I'm thinking heavy duty as I'll be carrying a 60lb sub box in the trunk.

Suggestions - anyone ever run the "heavy duty" OEM rear shocks? tks
Old 01-08-11, 01:47 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

KYB is your best bet....

Bilstein's arent available for the '10 or else i'd recco those.
Old 01-08-11, 02:21 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
KYB is your best bet....

Bilstein's arent available for the '10 or else i'd recco those.
KYB - because of price? Or firmness? My searching on this site has everyone not lowering their cars worshiping the "Lexus ride" of the OEM shocks.

Also what do you mean by "not available for the '10?"

Tks
Old 01-08-11, 04:04 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

some say kyb isnt quite as cushy as the OEM ones (slightly different valving) but should feel better with more weight in the back.

'10 refers to your chassis, 1st generation LS400 aka UCF10.
Old 01-08-11, 07:27 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

Just ordered pkg of 4 KYB's off ebay for $336 + only $40 shipping to Canada. Looking fwd to a better ride thanks PD
Old 01-08-11, 10:46 PM
benjanet
Driver School Candidate

Do you need some stock springs? I have a set of four.
Old 01-09-11, 05:43 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by benjanet
Do you need some stock springs? I have a set of four.
Thanks - how many miles on them? assume had good ride height when removed? If car still sits low with the KYB's I'll look you up
Old 01-10-11, 06:39 AM
jbelway
Driver School Candidate

My dime says you're going the wrong route, struts don't hold the car up, they absord the osillations of the springs. The coil spring controls the ride height.
Old 01-10-11, 06:42 AM
jbelway
Driver School Candidate

Also... you don't see people buyng struts to lower their vehicle do you? Nope... you see them buying springs.... I removed the complete set of lower springs and strut assemblies on my car that the previous owner installed because I didn't like the hard ride.
Old 01-10-11, 09:13 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by jbelway
My dime says you're going the wrong route, struts don't hold the car up, they absorb the oscillations of the springs. The coil spring controls the ride height.
I mostly agree. I recently replaced all 4 struts on my '91 with KYB GR-2's. They are gas charged, but with a low pressure (unlike some gas charged struts that provide a lot of spring force). I measured the strut force in a compressed state before I installed them - I don't remember exactly, but it was less than 20 pounds. So if you want to see how changing the strut might lift the car, pull up on the wheel well with about 20 pounds of force. It will move a little, but not much.

It can't hurt to replace the struts. You'll see it's pretty easy. And if that does not fix it, you may notice something else when you're in there. Good luck.
Old 01-10-11, 11:38 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

Default OK watch the vids help any with the guesses

So here's some vids obviously the shocks are shot and both sides of the car are equal height, still not sure if I need springs.........what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22psNbRmpjI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UVaTAqnTmM
Old 01-10-11, 12:04 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Assuming you're doing it yourself and trying to save $$, I'd replace the rear struts only. You may find that that fixes it all. Or you may find something in there causing another problem.

If you then decide that you do have bad springs (not common from what I've read), you'll find that basically re-doing the strut replacement (to replace the springs only) is not a big deal at all after you've just done it once and figured out all the little tricks.
Old 01-10-11, 12:27 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

My dime says you're going the wrong route, struts don't hold the car up, they absord the osillations of the springs. The coil spring controls the ride height.
Also... you don't see people buyng struts to lower their vehicle do you? Nope... you see them buying springs.... I removed the complete set of lower springs and strut assemblies on my car that the previous owner installed because I didn't like the hard ride.
good in theory but misguided.

springs and shocks work in concert to set ride height, as shocks wear past a certain point they stop exerting as much force on the chassis allowing it to sag (think about all those old cars you see running around that seem a little too low to come that way stock). also, yes, people generally buy lowering SPRINGS, but those generally dont work well when lowering a car past 1.5inches or so, past that people buy coilovers which are a matched spring/shock set on an adjustable sleeve....

springs do have a more drastic effect on setting ride height, but dont thiink the shock doesnt play a pretty significant role....
Old 01-10-11, 08:48 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a question on the original shocks. I just replaced my back shocks and the shocks that were on the car had no markings. Did not say Toyota, kyb or anything. Would this be the original shock? They were black and had one white stripe around the center. This is on a 1992 Ls400
Old 01-10-11, 09:06 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

clean them off, OEM shocks iirc are engraved with a part number.

Quick Reply: suspension advice