LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1999 LS400, 45k miles, but one question....

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-10, 07:26 AM
rrsafety
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1999 LS400, 45k miles, but one question....

I know this will seem insane to some folks, but I promised my wife I'd get information about his before making a final decision. She is concerned about "safety" so here it goes.

My mom's elderly cousin is willing to give me his LS400 with 45k on it as he doesn't drive any more. I haven't seen it, but he says it's in perfect "Florida" condition and I believe him. Only cost to me will be about $800 or so to ship it to me and then the tax of 6.25% of value state government will get just to have it registered here.

I consider this a gift from heaven (as I'm currenty driving a Pontiac Aztec AWD with 197,000 miles on it!) My wife's concern, however is this: "Is it safe in the snow?"

Ok everyone, please help me answer this question for her in the affirmative. I appreciate any info you have.
Old 12-06-10, 10:14 AM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ls400

Are you kidding me have you seen any ls400 lexus in Ma.They are not safe at all sell it to me for 1000 this car belongs in Texas.Chuckle
Old 12-06-10, 11:45 AM
rrsafety
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by alredxiii
Are you kidding me have you seen any ls400 lexus in Ma.They are not safe at all sell it to me for 1000 this car belongs in Texas.Chuckle
I had a feeling that would be the first response I got!
Old 12-06-10, 12:01 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

your not getting much action, but I am no help either...... when it snows in the dallas area, I dont even get out of the house, much less my LS's.....

BUT the 99 sure sounds good, tell the wife you will be the only driver in the winter and then get a million $ insurance policy for her....
Old 12-06-10, 01:15 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

FWIW, FWD, RWD, AWD, all can have their issues in these conditions. SOme lend themselves better for such instances which is why FWD has a good favoring. That said, driver technique also plays a big part in handling snow-ice. While the car has traction control as do many modern ones of late, it is no guarantee.

If your wife is an experienced driver with snow, she'll adapt to the car's characteristic. She may like it or not so this is a situation where it is tough to say. Now if she is accustomed to FWD cars, it will be quite different.

That aside, you will have a very nice car to drive.

alredxiii - Are you kidding me have you seen any ls400 lexus in Ma.They are not safe at all sell it to me for 1000 this car belongs in Texas.Chuckle
Not even...So. Cal.
Old 12-06-10, 01:20 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a high torque, high HP engine and it is RWD. It might not be as safe as other cars in the snow.

Get a good set of snow tires for it and once your wife drives in the luxury of the LS, she won't be too concerned about safety.

I have heard that in accidents, the LS is like a tank, so should she get in an accident in the LS in the snow, there isn't anything out there that might protect it better. Keep in mind, the LS has always been 5-10yrs ahead of the average car in terms of safety.

I don't own one, but hope to some day...
Old 12-06-10, 01:33 PM
StevieA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not an answer for your wife, but this will be my first winter with my '93 LS and I have 4 brand new General Tire Altimax winters already installed waiting for snow. I LOVE driving in the snow and I'm going to have a ball in this RWD LS.

Seriously though all I can compare to is my '97 Cadillac STS which I had 4 snows on and it was FANTASTIC. BECAUSE IT WAS A HEAVY TANK. The LS is no featherweight either so I'm expecting it will be stable and predictible on highways etc. in snowy/slushy conditions. With stable throttle and no quick movements you should be able to breeze along at or above speed limits. The Cadillac may have had an advantage crawling up hills and leaving stop signs because it was FWD but it was also 300HP.

BUT YOU MUST HAVE 4 GOOD SNOW TIRES
Old 12-06-10, 02:22 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

waiting for kansas to chime in lol.
Old 12-06-10, 05:21 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
waiting for kansas to chime in lol.
I see that my reputation precedes me!

OK, so here is my spiel:
IMO, the 98-00 LS400 is the easiest RWD car to drive in snow I have driven in my 45 years of legal driving but you must use high quality true winter tires (with the mountain/snowflake symbol on the sidewalls) for the ABS and VSC to work effectively on snow.

Consider buying a used set of four OEM 16" LS400/LS430 wheels to use with your snow tires - any LS wheels from 95 through 02 will work - and get a set of four 225/60-16 winter tires - Blizzak WS70, Michelin X-ice, or similar. Avoid snow tires labeled "performance snow tires" - you want the real thing. Craiglist list or this forum might be a good source for wheels.

Once you get your 99 LS400 with it's new snow tires mounted, take your car to a nice big empty parking lot on a snowy day and drive the hell out of it to learn how to VSC kicks into to rescue you. You don't want to necessary depend on VSC to bail you out but knowing how it works will give you much more confidence driving on snow. You have to remember, however, that most other drivers will not have the control you will have. The 98-00 LS400 transmission also has a "Snow" mode setting which reduces throttle response, changes the shift points, and starts the car out from a stop in a higher gear.

During a snowy winter holiday gathering in Des Moines Iowa a few years ago, only two of the many family vehicles made it up the long hill to my sister-in-law's house - a 4WD Honda SUV and my 2000 LS400 with Blizzak snow tires. All the other cars had to park at the bottom of the hill and I shuttled family members up the hill in my 2000 LS400.

Here's a photo of my car w/Blizzak snow tires and winter wheels from last XMAS in Cedar Rapids Iowa.
Attached Thumbnails 1999 LS400, 45k miles, but one question....-00-ls-at-xmas-2009-small.jpg  

Last edited by Kansas; 12-06-10 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-07-10, 05:55 AM
rrsafety
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the great advice! I'm going to get that car shipped up here and once I get it, I'll post a pic! Can't wait to go tire shopping...
Old 12-07-10, 09:11 AM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
All the other cars had to park at the bottom of the hill and I shuttled family members up the hill in my 2000 LS400.
I can't believe that you never caught onto that one, Kansas. They just faked it so they could have a ride in the Lex.
Old 12-12-10, 05:07 PM
Tinggi
Driver

Default 1997 LS400 and Snow

I felt obliged to pass on my two cents worth regarding the performance of the LS400 in snow. As suggested earlier, get four wheels and good 'Snowflake' winter tires (not ALL SEASON) and you will be amazed at how well it will get around.
I found 4 wheels off a 1996 LS400 for $120.00 ( a little curb rash but excellent for winter use) put on a set of Goodyear Nordic winter tire (225-60x16) and have not been stuck or been put into a situation where I have not had control.
Once snow/cold has ended get the summers back on as winter tires wear badly in warm dry conditions.
From a safety perspective, these cars have always had the highest ratings! Remember they are heavy which works for you should you be in an accident.

Regards,
Old 12-12-10, 08:25 PM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Without winter tires they're horrible then again I've never driven my Lexus through snow with winter/snow tires before. It just snowed here, about 3/4-1 inch and i already have problems moving around. Had to park my car at the bottom of the hill and walked to my apartment.
Old 12-12-10, 08:42 PM
Scaritto
Driver School Candidate

Here's what i'll say...

We just got a good 6 inches today and the car is very predictable and the traction control helps a lot (and fun to turn off!). With a light foot and proper winter driving, my 95 does very well. The traction control really helps the rear from sliding out.
Old 12-12-10, 09:06 PM
Tinggi
Driver

Default Snow and LS400 with traction control

Important to keep in mind that if you have traction control it does help keep the rear end in line under slipper conditions at speed.
Unfortunately, when really slogging though a lot of snow, at slower speeds, and traction becomes limited and the tires lose traction and spin, the traction control will simply stop your tires from turning! If you are barely making it through deep snow (at slow speed) this is not what you want to happen.
You will need to shut off the traction control so that the wheels do turn so the snow tires can bite the snow and claw your way out. It will pull out though, these cars work excellent in snow when fitted with good winter tires.

Quick Reply: 1999 LS400, 45k miles, but one question....