LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1996 LS400 no matter i put 1,2,3 or D same as neutral transmission needs replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-10, 07:21 PM
shuiyuan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1996 LS400 won't move! i put 1,2,3 or D same as neutral transmission needs replaced?

I been searching but didn't find any symptom as my 96 ls400.
this is what happened, i drove about 20 miles one day, from a stop i noticed that the transmission only stuck on the first gear,so i turned off the car, after 3 hours i started the car again it runs normal until i drive like 5-10 minutes the car will stay on the first gear again, then i try drive to the next light to pull over but it just revs like neutral on whenever gear i try to put. after that the car will run normal for 5-10 minutes if i let it sit for over 1 hour then feels like neutral, if i turn off the car and turn back on if put on D or R it will move back or reverse normal but if i shift again to either park or N or any other gear it will act like neutral (i can push the car forward or back just like its on neutral)
does anybody experience the same problem before? is the tranny needs replaced? i checked the tranny oil it is fine and at the full level. car has 250k miles.

Last edited by shuiyuan; 11-28-10 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-28-10, 07:52 PM
Bali26
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try adding some more oil and see if that fixes it.
Old 11-29-10, 08:24 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

where in CA are you? some one on here should know an honest Lexus shop in your area, and have them check it out. then deal with it. we have a couple of them in the Dallas area.
Old 11-29-10, 09:30 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Hey if you are in the southbay area of LA go to my mechanic. http://www.toyoautomotive.com/index.html
Old 11-29-10, 08:35 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Drop the pan, clean the magnets, and replace the trans strainer. It's around $35 at Advance Auto Parts, made by Beck Arnley. When was the last time the strainer and fluid was changed? Make sure to only use Toyota T-IV ATF from the dealer.
Old 11-29-10, 10:29 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

change the transmission filter!
Old 11-29-10, 10:56 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

+1. These are low cost attempts so do this first.

How long have these symptoms persisted?
Old 11-29-10, 11:39 PM
shuiyuan
Rookie

Thanks a lot for all suggestions above, i will buy the strainer tomorrow and drop the pan and change it.
another question, i am at Rosemead,CA area, i am wondering what kind store might have the strainer instock, i will try to Longo Lexus in El monte first, but if they need order it i can try to call some other stores around. thanks!
Old 11-30-10, 10:27 AM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

A bit of a tip before you start unless you want to find out the hard way and waste some time. Remove the bolt holding the upper transmission filler tube with a 14mm wrench. The bracket from the exhaust to the transmission get's in the way a bit. Drain the pan and leave the plug out and the container under transmission. When you tilt the pan out more fluid will come out of the pan and you're much better off mess wise having the fluid come out of the plug hole than around the edge of the pan. Torque the new strainer on at 7 ft/lb's. Reinstall the pan and tighten the pan bolts until the gasket starts to squish out a little, don't over tighten it. Then reinstall the upper tube, it's a pain but the easiest way to to do.

Above all, PLEASE PLEASE use only Toyota Type IV fluid.
Old 11-30-10, 11:55 AM
steve2006
Lead Lap

If you haven't seen this already it will help

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/trans...anschange.html
Old 11-30-10, 02:29 PM
shuiyuan
Rookie

Originally Posted by Banshee365
A bit of a tip before you start unless you want to find out the hard way and waste some time. Remove the bolt holding the upper transmission filler tube with a 14mm wrench. The bracket from the exhaust to the transmission get's in the way a bit. Drain the pan and leave the plug out and the container under transmission. When you tilt the pan out more fluid will come out of the pan and you're much better off mess wise having the fluid come out of the plug hole than around the edge of the pan. Torque the new strainer on at 7 ft/lb's. Reinstall the pan and tighten the pan bolts until the gasket starts to squish out a little, don't over tighten it. Then reinstall the upper tube, it's a pain but the easiest way to to do.

i followed your instruction changed the filter today, the car back to normal, shifts very smooth now. you made my life easier! Many thanks!
Old 12-11-10, 05:05 AM
C4R3B34R
Driver School Candidate

When you do a transmission flush through a dealership like toyota for a ls400 , do they change the oil strainer? think it was $179 for the flush, im a computer guy not a hands on guy lol , I bought my t4 fluid today 10qtrs for 80 bucks at toyota, was going to have my friend just drain it then add the new fluid in , but now im thinking i should change the oil strainer as well, I dont think he knows how to do all that lol
Old 12-11-10, 06:45 AM
Bradster
Lead Lap

I don't believe they automatically change the strainer at the dealership unless they tell you that the cost of the flush includes a new one (it's $40 or so just for an OEM filter/strainer and that's the discounted price) within the last week i had my 90 LS400 at my friends shop and we dropped the pan took out the strainer (3 bolts i believe...simple) soaked it in gasoline blew it out with compressed air and it looks like new...That's the way to go!
Old 04-17-12, 03:57 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Banshee365

I dig this old post out.
For 1996 LS, does the upper tube (the 14mm bolt) need to be removed to get the tranny pan out?
thanks
Old 04-18-12, 12:35 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dashan
I dig this old post out.
For 1996 LS, does the upper tube (the 14mm bolt) need to be removed to get the tranny pan out?
thanks
no, the dipstick is 2 parts, with the lower part sliding out of the upper dipstick tube that's bolted to a brace. the 2 pieces are sealed with an o-ring to prevent leaks.

Quick Reply: 1996 LS400 no matter i put 1,2,3 or D same as neutral transmission needs replaced?