LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Need help low power and oil leak

Old 11-16-10, 06:19 PM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help low power and oil leak

Well i went to go look at a 94 ls 400 tonight with 217k 2 owner first owner did pretty much all service at lexus until around 15k then sold it. The problem with the car is a check engine light (guy had the code checked but it didnt say what the problem was) he said the car has less power than normal, a/c wont work properly and it has died at a stop light before but started right back up.

I also noticed a little bit of oil on the ground car has been sitting at his work for a week or so and the tale pipes look black and kinna sooty. HE is asking 1500 but i might could get less other wise the car is pretty nice shape all power stuff works, no major body damage.

Any idea on whats wrong with it and if its worth fixing? He said he had a new fuel pump installed thinking that was the problem but that didnt fix it.
Old 11-16-10, 06:32 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

1. Need to know what the code was for the CEL. That may be the whole key to solving the power problem. he most likely tried to pull it himself and was not aware of how to do so nor how to interprit. WWW.lexls.com should help with this.

2. A/c compressor going up was a common thing. May explain why it is not working properly.

3. Car dying,, see response number 1,, cant rule anything out until we know what the code was for.

4. Oil leak,,could be the rear main oil seal on the back of the engine worn with age. Another common ailement. Also are you sure it was oil and not some other fluid,, or are you concretely sure it was oil. First gens had various leaks associated with them, and you have to remember that this is now a 15 year old car so in most cases most of the seals are probably the originals and have worn with age.

5. Black, sooty pipes,,,air/gas ratio is IIRC too lean. Car may be running rich and that MAY be what the code was showing.

ALOT is gonna ride on what the code is from the CEL. See if you can get it from him and we may be able to help. And in it's present condition,,,you need to bargain for less on the price.
Old 11-16-10, 08:17 PM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

thnx for the info. Ya i dont think he had any idea what the code is he said someone tried to scan it but it didnt give a code or something and auto zone cant read cars that old lol. I could get the code read at lexus i have couple buddies but with the sooty pipes and the oil on the ground i was kinna scared of a blown motor or some such so i didnt even bother with a offer tonight. Is also ran out of gas while i was looking at so i couldnt even attempt to drive it lol.

Ya its deffinatly oil that i saw on the ground and stuck my finger in.
Old 11-17-10, 08:10 AM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

and the power steering wheel doesnt go up/down.
Old 11-17-10, 11:04 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well proglem number 1,,
94 is OBD I so a scan tool is not gonna work on the car. This will help YOU pull the code so it can be determined what is going on with the car,,
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html

Lexus dealer will also be able to pull the code, but the tutorial is more a DIY approach.

2. Blown motors are extremely rare in these cars; it can happen but the chances of it are rare. Really would not worry about that based on what you are describing.

3. There is a square, black, button on the left side of the steering column that controls the tilt/telescopic wheel. If it is pushed IN, then it will do nothing. May need to press the button so that it is not set to the "IN" position. If nothig still, then the motor for the tilt wheel is dead, or fuse is blown.