LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Grinding when coming to a full stop

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-10, 03:15 AM
Max Power

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding when coming to a full stop

I have new brakes and rotors all around. However, recently i brought the car to a shop to get some tires swapped. A couple days later one of my front tires went flat so I threw on the spare. This is when I noticed that the dumb kid at the shop used an impact with no torque stick. The lug nuts were on EXTREMELY tight. When I got them off it made the loudest cracking noise. Sounded like they were breaking off. So mad.

The other day when coming to a full stop, right at the end of my braking I'd hear a grinding noise. (this was before the flat) Obviously I was worried but then the flat happened and I thought I figured out why it was making that noise.

Well, I loosened all the nuts and torqued them to spec. This fixed the problem. FFWD to last night and the sound came back. Wtf is going? Are my studs completely shot? Are the wheel bearings shot? I went to check the lug nuts again and they felt tight all over again...

Old 10-22-10, 04:41 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

sounds something brakes related if its coming to a stop.
Old 10-22-10, 07:13 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a tire rotation done at a local shop not too long ago and had a similar problem when I drove away. I went home and loosened and re-torqued all the lug nuts to 78ft lbs. and the noise went away. They had torqued the lug nuts to 130ft. lbs.

I'd loosen and re-torque your lug nuts on all four corners. 76ft lbs. is the recommended, I go a couple over.

Home Depot sells a decent torque wrench.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

I always re-torque the lug nuts after having someone other than myself do work on my cars. The guys charged with doing tire rotations are typically the novices.
Old 10-22-10, 07:37 AM
Max Power

Originally Posted by JimsGX
I had a tire rotation done at a local shop not too long ago and had a similar problem when I drove away. I went home and loosened and re-torqued all the lug nuts to 78ft lbs. and the noise went away. They had torqued the lug nuts to 130ft. lbs.

I'd loosen and re-torque your lug nuts on all four corners. 76ft lbs. is the recommended, I go a couple over.

I always re-torque the lug nuts after having someone other than myself do work on my cars. The guys charged with doing tire rotations are typically the novices.
Yeah, I bought a torque wrench awhile ago. Best tool ever.

I think I may have figured out the problem, but frankly am a little embarassed. Leaving work now, going to see if I'm right lol....
Old 10-22-10, 08:22 AM
Max Power

Ok, so it's not what I thought it was. I drove the car home, hit the brakes a bunch. After I had them well heated the grinding started again. Always near the end of braking as I come to a complete stop. I loosened the lugs but they seemed fine. I then torqued them back to spec. I really don't know. Pisses me off....
Old 10-22-10, 08:32 AM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

what kind of pads did they put in I use ceramic and they have make a little grinding noise I think you will find the noise is coming from the pads.
Old 10-22-10, 08:39 AM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimsGX

x2!

I've had this happen to me on different cars. Wrong torquing will lead to grinding,warped rotors,excess noises, etc.

I think the may have used MAXPOWER when they impact gunned your lug nuts...hehe couldn't resist!
Old 10-22-10, 09:22 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

when the brakes were done, they did grease the pins and install the OEM shims, right?
Old 10-22-10, 10:28 AM
Max Power

Originally Posted by lexuslspro
x2!

I've had this happen to me on different cars. Wrong torquing will lead to grinding,warped rotors,excess noises, etc.

I think the may have used MAXPOWER when they impact gunned your lug nuts...hehe couldn't resist!
Yeah, that's what it is unfortunately.
Old 10-22-10, 10:33 AM
Max Power

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
when the brakes were done, they did grease the pins and install the OEM shims, right?
I installed the brakes myself, I greased the pins and installed the shims myself as well.

The brakes have been on for a little while now and I have had 0 problems until very very shortly after having had my tires changed and that monkey at the shop tightening my lug nuts to some unthinkable level.

Besides, brakes couldn't cause this kind of grinding noise unless it was metal on metal.

I do appreciate your help as always though. Thanks
Old 10-22-10, 10:44 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What brand pads did you use?
Old 10-22-10, 02:34 PM
Max Power

Formula 1 or something.