LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Cigarette Lighter POWER ISSUES?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-10, 11:21 AM
Kalaries
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Cigarette Lighter POWER ISSUES?

I cant seem to get a car charger or any aux charger to work in my 92 LS400. Is this a common issue? i just bought the car 2 weeks ago, and its a pain that i cant charge my phone. I have a lighter outlet in the back and in the front neither work. any ideas? thanks

Last edited by Kalaries; 10-19-10 at 11:21 AM. Reason: added info
Old 10-19-10, 01:42 PM
trez_doz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's probably the fuse by the foot break. mine does the same in the front. it barely gets power
Old 10-19-10, 08:03 PM
Scaritto
Driver School Candidate

Check the fuse. It's located by the pedals. I believe there is one fuse per power outlet. The fuse will be called something like FRNT CIG or something along those lines.
Old 10-20-10, 12:50 PM
Extrudedco
Driver School Candidate

I was having the same problem. The fuse was blown, but after replacing the fuse it still didn't work. I ended up having to rebuild the front lighter socket since it had a short due to a failed insulator between the two parts of the socket. It's not too hard to do, I just used a piece of plastic cut to fit where the old insulator was. It could get a bit exciting if someone ever tries to use the actual cigarette lighter, but it works fine for plugging chargers in.

edit: also make sure that the inner piece of the socket isn't touching the outer piece, you might just have a simple short there.
Old 01-17-11, 06:31 PM
James008
Driver School Candidate

Hi, on my lexus too the car charger isn't working, any suggestions. please advice. Thanks.
Old 01-17-11, 08:40 PM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by James008
Hi, on my lexus too the car charger isn't working, any suggestions. please advice. Thanks.
As suggested by others, check the fuse first.
Mine went out last year, haven't had the chance to look into it yet.
Old 01-17-11, 11:28 PM
Jrezo
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by James008
These were once used for lighting cancer sticks not charging things. JK, sorry just makes you think how times have changed and the port is still there but now serves a new cause.

Fuse, mine was out when i bought the car.
Old 01-18-11, 12:56 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

There is a link to a tutorial on the only sticky thread in the LS400 forum which walks you through removing the insulator as described by Extrudedco. I did it and it fixed mine
Old 02-19-11, 04:26 PM
metalhead
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Scaritto
Check the fuse. It's located by the pedals. I believe there is one fuse per power outlet. The fuse will be called something like FRNT CIG or something along those lines.
Hey there Scaritto. I checked the fuses by the pedals and there is nothing that I noticed having a name specifically for any component, e.g., FRNT CIG. Is there supposed to be a cover for the fuse box which pinpoints them all? If so it has been gone since I bought the car.
Old 02-19-11, 07:08 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by metalhead
Hey there Scaritto. I checked the fuses by the pedals and there is nothing that I noticed having a name specifically for any component, e.g., FRNT CIG. Is there supposed to be a cover for the fuse box which pinpoints them all? If so it has been gone since I bought the car.
Your owners manual or the fuse box cover should tell you which fuse is for the accessory circuit the cig lighter is on. As Extrudedco pointed out, if the accessory fuse isn't blown, you likely need to repair the fuseable link in the cig lighter socket.
Old 02-22-11, 11:20 PM
metalhead
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kansas
Your owners manual or the fuse box cover should tell you which fuse is for the accessory circuit the cig lighter is on. As Extrudedco pointed out, if the accessory fuse isn't blown, you likely need to repair the fuseable link in the cig lighter socket.
Well there is not a cover there currently and for the owners manual I'm gonna have to contact the person who sold me the car since it was never given to me. Luckily it was a family member I bought it from lol. If all the basics fail to fix the problem then I will definitely take it further and I'll check out the fuse-able link. Thanks for the info. Btw I read in a different website that the same fuse handles both the side-view mirror controls and the cigarette lighters. Is that a fact?
Old 04-02-11, 06:52 AM
RchampHSV
2nd gear

My Fuse box cover is missing also. It turns out my fuse was blown. Replaced it and all works fine.
Old 04-03-11, 01:37 AM
qewani1
Lead Lap

My front cig. lighter isn’t working, so
checked fuse and found that its not blown, then opened front lighter as described per the tutorial posted in the sticky thread,
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-tutorial.html
but am still confused and don’t know what do we need exactly to replace...!!!

Do we need to replace the nut --->>saw the nut
or the " fuseable link" <<---- what is this piece ?

Can you guys post few photos for the " fuseable link "!!
I need to get this cig lighter working ASAP please!

Last edited by qewani1; 04-03-11 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-13-12, 02:41 PM
metalhead
Driver School Candidate

Well, I finally fixed it. It was the fuse. A technician at my local toyota dealership was cool enough to give me a print out of the entire fuse diagram! I can't thank him enough.
Old 03-14-12, 09:25 AM
bauceLS400
Driver

Originally Posted by qewani1
My front cig. lighter isn’t working, so
checked fuse and found that its not blown, then opened front lighter as described per the tutorial posted in the sticky thread,
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-tutorial.html
but am still confused and don’t know what do we need exactly to replace...!!!

Do we need to replace the nut --->>saw the nut
or the " fuseable link" <<---- what is this piece ?

Can you guys post few photos for the " fuseable link "!!
I need to get this cig lighter working ASAP please!
I tried the fix but it didnt work for me. in the end i just went to the junkyard and got a new plug for a couple of bucks and replaced it. Now it works perfect. I think the cigarette socket stopped working cause i dropped a penny in there once.

Quick Reply: Cigarette Lighter POWER ISSUES?