LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Purchased 95 LS, now some DIY Repair Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-10, 07:07 PM
Scaritto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Purchased 95 LS, now some DIY Repair Questions

Hey Everyone! Let me thank you in advanced for any help. It's al greatly appreciated. This is my first post and I've read some responses regarding some of these questions from this website, but they were all about 3 years old and i couldn't really find any pictures to help me. I know people don't like new threads over redundant topics, so i'm sorry to create a new thread. Anyway..

I purchased a 95 LS 400 two weeks ago. It has 169,000 miles on it, and has been meticulously taken care of by an elderly man. I have receipts with it from a reputable Lexus dealer indicating that the timing belt, water pump, ac compressor, spark plugs have all been replaced, along with many "routine maintenance" check ups. There are four receipts indicating over $1000 of work and upkeep. At $3500, I found it to be a great deal. This car is mechanically sound, but now there are some little things I want to repair. I have a very small budget, so a DIY job would be preferred, but if it's too hard and risky, i'll take it to a dealer.

1. The darn heated seat! My passenger heated seat works but mine doesn't doesn't. I checked the fuses and they are all good. I've read on hear that it may come unplugged, but i don't know what i'm looking for. Everything seems plugged in under the seat and i don't know how to remove the back of the seat.

2. The driver seatbelt. My driver seatbelt won't retract at all. It leaves a good two feet of belt out. I unplugged the little motor thing, but that hasn't helped.

3. AC. Although the AC has been changed, it is not getting that cold. At full blast, the pressure in the low side reads about 25 PSI. I don't know if i need to add more and to what pressure to add it to.

4. Rocking motion when letting off accelerator. If i'm going down the road and I let off the accelerator abruptly, then the car goes into a rocking motion. That's the best way i can describe it. It's like when you roll start a manual car or ATV or something. That jerky feel.

Thanks so much for your help and i'm excited to be a member here!
Old 10-17-10, 07:27 PM
Scaritto
Driver School Candidate

Adding a question...What does the button by the gear selector do? What happens if i put it into PWR?
Old 10-17-10, 08:00 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome.

#2, Does the seat belt lock when braking? If not, and IMO, get a fresh one...don't want any safety risks here. BTW...I hope your interior is gray because that is all that you will find with a factory belt. (Been there done that recently.)

The ECT/PWR button by the gear selector will tell the tranny to shift at a higher RPM.
Old 10-17-10, 09:57 PM
Mid430blue
Rookie

hey i have brand new lower balljoints for ur car frm the dealer let me know if u want it
Old 10-17-10, 10:02 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

your accelerator-off rocking motion is likely related to the ECU; you should check the part numbers on yours to make sure.
Old 10-17-10, 11:37 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

1-if all fuses TEST(not visual inspection) fine and you have +12v at the element, the element can go bad. search for more info

2-see RA40's response, sums it up.

3- have a pro inject dye, then hunt for leaks.

4- is the whole car SWAYiNG? (ie-shocks are gone) or is the car kind of jerking, indicating you need to check: a)trans fluid (for type and life remaining) b) trans mount (it's probably broken) and c) ECU as some 95-96 ECUs were recalled, which is no longer effective but you ccan get one with the updated part number from a junkyard. (search the forum)
Old 10-18-10, 10:06 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

this bulliten may give some insight on your "jerking" issue:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
displayTSBHandler.pdf (28.1 KB, 271 views)
Old 10-18-10, 05:07 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

There is a lengthy procedure for diagnosing seat heater problems that involve checking various pins on connectors for voltage, continuity, resistance, etc. The diagnostic instructions are in the repair manuals for your car or you can download them by subscribing to https://techinfo.toyota.com
Old 10-18-10, 05:39 PM
Scaritto
Driver School Candidate

I'll have to give that techinfo a shot. Can i view it from taking off that back panel? An i think i'm starting from scratch on the seat belt (I have tan interior ) And it's not a rocking, more like a jerking. What should a look fr on the ECU (and where?) Thanks for all the help!
Old 10-18-10, 07:22 PM
Scaritto
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the bullitin...will check that. How do i check for the transmission mounts?
Old 10-20-10, 11:16 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

your seat belt can be fixed at the dealer at no charge.no age or mileage restrictions on seat belts.call the dealer and tell them your seat belt will not retract.it is a no charge repair.

Last edited by jimbosr1; 10-20-10 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-20-10, 02:57 PM
Scaritto
Driver School Candidate

Sounds awesome, Jim. Have you had them do it to yours? I'd like them to look at the seat but i've read it would be like $800. Does that sound about right?
Old 10-20-10, 03:08 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

For jerking, check your throttle cable, one of them is connected to your transmission... at least 1st gen does.
Old 10-20-10, 03:56 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
your seat belt can be fixed at the dealer at no charge.no age or mileage restrictions on seat belts.call the dealer and tell them your seat belt will not retract.it is a no charge repair.
Interesting... Too bad this didn't extend to the air bag (light on). This should be considered as much a safety issue as a problem with the seat belts.
Old 10-20-10, 06:15 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

i have done it with other cars.all car companys will fix seat belts at no charge as long it wasent do to a crash.they will not fix a airbag light for free.

Quick Reply: Purchased 95 LS, now some DIY Repair Questions