Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > LS Models > LS400
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

What type of oil do you use? (The Mother thread)

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-04, 04:37 PM   #61
RA40
Moderator
Trader Score: (6)
 
RA40's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: California
Posts: 15,596
Default

Mine has devloped some new noises over certain roads. Sharp road variations will bring a "clunk" in the rear. I was under it this afternoon and I suspect it is the swaybar mounting rods that connect to the lower arm, it seemed pretty loose. Alternately, the rear strut rod bushings may be showing their wear too. That or...

<sigh> These little noises are irritating. The first car I have lowered that has had such noises. Fortunately it is just over these harsh bumps...otherwise, it is fine. Like a pavement change that drops 2" abruptly, the front is fine.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
__________________

Mike

Last edited by RA40; 04-09-04 at 04:40 PM..
RA40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-04, 09:17 AM   #62
RUDENESS
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 210
Send a message via Yahoo to RUDENESS
Default oil question

im using synthetic oil in my 91 LS 400 (180,000 miles) do u have to change synthetic oil every 3000 miles or can you go longer with it??
__________________
half man half amazing....
RUDENESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-04, 09:41 AM   #63
houstonnw
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 68
Default

I've been seeing the same Lexus Service Advisor for 6-8 years. I asked him about oil changes on my new LS. He said that they have a bunch of cars over 200K miles with 5K oil change intervals and dino oil.

He convinced me not to use synthetic. However, if you do, 5K miles would be the minimum between oil changes IMO.
houstonnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-04, 12:59 PM   #64
audphile1
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
audphile1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 248
Default

I use mobile 1 in my LS430. Asked the dealer, he said I can use synthetic oil, but unless I tow with a car or drive under some extremely difficult conditions the sunthetic is not necessary, however I decide to go with Mobile1 anyway. Can't hurt. I found the car is running just as good with it if not better then with conventional oil. I do 7500 mile intervals.
audphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-04, 03:46 PM   #65
SRK
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: International
Posts: 162
Default

It is beyond strange how dealer guys would advise not to use synthetic. Considering that the 1UZ-FE block does not permit ANY overboring, and that any oil related damage would involve a complete replacement of the engine, why not use the best oil possible? What is the cost difference? Maybe $30.00 a year? To protect an engine that costs tens of thousands to replace? The transmission is designed to run on synthetic - it's not like this is anything new to Lexus technicians. Why not the engine oil?
I think the ice in my Scotch cost more than $30.00 a year. That's like two good cigars. Big deal.
SRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-04, 05:01 PM   #66
nthach
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: California
Posts: 3,258
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by SRK
It is beyond strange how dealer guys would advise not to use synthetic. Considering that the 1UZ-FE block does not permit ANY overboring, and that any oil related damage would involve a complete replacement of the engine, why not use the best oil possible? What is the cost difference? Maybe $30.00 a year? To protect an engine that costs tens of thousands to replace? The transmission is designed to run on synthetic - it's not like this is anything new to Lexus technicians. Why not the engine oil?
I think the ice in my Scotch cost more than $30.00 a year. That's like two good cigars. Big deal.
just use a GOOD oil with a good additive package, and OEM Toyota or a GOOD aftermarket filter, no Fram garbage.
nthach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 10:23 AM   #67
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 980
Send a message via AIM to Jasoneo5
Default Synthetic Oil in 99 LS

Hey,


After reading I am just going to go ahead and use the synthetic motor oil in my 99 LS400 w/ 70k miles. Should I go ahead and get the 5w-30 or should I get something different? Its ok to drain the current oil and re-fill with synthetic right? There isn't any type of flush that is needed, correct?

-Jason
Jasoneo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-05, 10:44 AM   #68
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
SharpLS-96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Posts: 2,991
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoneo5
Hey,


After reading I am just going to go ahead and use the synthetic motor oil in my 99 LS400 w/ 70k miles. Should I go ahead and get the 5w-30 or should I get something different? Its ok to drain the current oil and re-fill with synthetic right? There isn't any type of flush that is needed, correct?

-Jason
Yes, you'll be fine switching right over to 100% full synthetic oil, no flushing of any kind is needed.
Some say use a synthetic blend before switching over to full synthetic because the seals/gaskets might leak but I switched directly over a number of years ago and experienced no problems at all.

I would use 10w-30 but you'll be fine with 5w-30 as well.
Don't forget a new filter.
__________________
In Memory of 9/11/01
http://www.clublexus.com/gallery/dat...of_9-11-01.jpg

"THIS GREAT NATION WILL LEAD THE WORLD AND WE WILL BE SUCCESSFUL!" --GEORGE W. BUSH
"I SAY TO OUR ENEMIES: WE ARE COMING! GOD MAY HAVE MERCY ON YOU, BUT WE WON'T!"--JOHN McCAIN
"THE PROBLEM WITH LIBERALS IS NOT THAT THEY'RE IGNORANT-IT'S THAT THEY KNOW SO MUCH THAT ISN'T SO!" --RONALD WILSON REAGAN -- MAY HE R.I.P.

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 01-13-05 at 10:48 AM..
SharpLS-96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 03:07 AM   #69
Lexusfreak
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Lexusfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: St. Thomas, Ontario
Posts: 3,314
Send a message via MSN to Lexusfreak
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpLS-96
Yes, you'll be fine switching right over to 100% full synthetic oil, no flushing of any kind is needed.
Some say use a synthetic blend before switching over to full synthetic because the seals/gaskets might leak but I switched directly over a number of years ago and experienced no problems at all.

I would use 10w-30 but you'll be fine with 5w-30 as well.
Don't forget a new filter.
I agree....if you burn any oil with 'dino' oil, I would use the 10W 30 grade instead.....it you go to www.mobil1.com it has the recommended grade for your year of Lexus.
__________________
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lexusfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 04:42 PM   #70
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoneo5
Hey,


After reading I am just going to go ahead and use the synthetic motor oil in my 99 LS400 w/ 70k miles. Should I go ahead and get the 5w-30 or should I get something different? Its ok to drain the current oil and re-fill with synthetic right? There isn't any type of flush that is needed, correct?
-Jason
I used Mobile 1 5w-30 after I got my first LS4 with 54K miles and didn't burn much oil between oil changes when I traded it around 95K miles.
__________________
07 IS350
99 GS400
gs400998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-05, 07:01 AM   #71
skytrain4
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Georgia
Posts: 21
Default Amsoil Synthetic Motor Oil

I recommend Amsoil. I've been using Amsoil in my cars for almost 10 years now, with no regrets. I use 5W30. They have a 25000 mile oil now. The oil gets dirty, but the viscosity does not break down. When I buy a used car, I use an oil flush from Autozone before putting the Amsoil in, just to clean any garbage out. If you don't use a flush, the Amsoil will work all that garbage loose and you will have dirty oil quickly.

BTW, not only do I change the engine oil, I also change the transmission fluid and rear end lube too. I buy 16 quarts of Amsoil transmission fluid and take it to a quicky oil change shop and have them do a complete transmission flush, replacing ALL the transmission fluid with Amsoil. After doing the flush, I have the transmission pan dropped and filter replaced and pan cleaned out. Doing all of the above may be expensive up front, but the cost of replacing or rebuilding a transmission is much more expensive! I think of it as insurance and peace of mind.

I purchased a 1990 LS400 with 182000 miles on it December 2002, and immediately switched to Amsoil fluids. I just sold it December 2004 with 239000 on it. No problems. I drove it for 2 years and sold it for $1000 less than I paid for it. Other than replacing the fluids, I only replaced the tires and brake pads. I just purchased a 1992 LS400 with 98000 miles on it. Again, I immediately changed all the fluids.

You can find an Amsoil Dealer near you, or go to www.amsoil.com and order directly from them. I'm not an Amsoil dealer or affiliated with Amsoil in any way, other than using their products.
skytrain4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-05, 09:15 AM   #72
Lexusfreak
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Lexusfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: St. Thomas, Ontario
Posts: 3,314
Send a message via MSN to Lexusfreak
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrain4
I recommend Amsoil. I've been using Amsoil in my cars for almost 10 years now, with no regrets. I use 5W30. They have a 25000 mile oil now. The oil gets dirty, but the viscosity does not break down. When I buy a used car, I use an oil flush from Autozone before putting the Amsoil in, just to clean any garbage out. If you don't use a flush, the Amsoil will work all that garbage loose and you will have dirty oil quickly.

BTW, not only do I change the engine oil, I also change the transmission fluid and rear end lube too. I buy 16 quarts of Amsoil transmission fluid and take it to a quicky oil change shop and have them do a complete transmission flush, replacing ALL the transmission fluid with Amsoil. After doing the flush, I have the transmission pan dropped and filter replaced and pan cleaned out. Doing all of the above may be expensive up front, but the cost of replacing or rebuilding a transmission is much more expensive! I think of it as insurance and peace of mind.

I purchased a 1990 LS400 with 182000 miles on it December 2002, and immediately switched to Amsoil fluids. I just sold it December 2004 with 239000 on it. No problems. I drove it for 2 years and sold it for $1000 less than I paid for it. Other than replacing the fluids, I only replaced the tires and brake pads. I just purchased a 1992 LS400 with 98000 miles on it. Again, I immediately changed all the fluids.

You can find an Amsoil Dealer near you, or go to www.amsoil.com and order directly from them. I'm not an Amsoil dealer or affiliated with Amsoil in any way, other than using their products.
A complete (100%) tranny flush is a very wise idea as well......I do this everythime I need a fluid change.
__________________
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lexusfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-05, 09:54 AM   #73
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 980
Send a message via AIM to Jasoneo5
Default

Weird Thing, I just put in synthetic oil 5w-30 today and for a quick second after about 30 mins of driving it, the check oil pressure light came on and then went right back off. Any ideas? a
Jasoneo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-05, 12:07 PM   #74
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
SharpLS-96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Posts: 2,991
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoneo5
Weird Thing, I just put in synthetic oil 5w-30 today and for a quick second after about 30 mins of driving it, the check oil pressure light came on and then went right back off. Any ideas? a
Double check your oil level and make sure you have the proper amount in. 5-1/2 quarts.
What type of oil filter did you use?
__________________
In Memory of 9/11/01
http://www.clublexus.com/gallery/dat...of_9-11-01.jpg

"THIS GREAT NATION WILL LEAD THE WORLD AND WE WILL BE SUCCESSFUL!" --GEORGE W. BUSH
"I SAY TO OUR ENEMIES: WE ARE COMING! GOD MAY HAVE MERCY ON YOU, BUT WE WON'T!"--JOHN McCAIN
"THE PROBLEM WITH LIBERALS IS NOT THAT THEY'RE IGNORANT-IT'S THAT THEY KNOW SO MUCH THAT ISN'T SO!" --RONALD WILSON REAGAN -- MAY HE R.I.P.
SharpLS-96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-05, 12:28 PM   #75
Lexusfreak
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Lexusfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: St. Thomas, Ontario
Posts: 3,314
Send a message via MSN to Lexusfreak
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpLS-96
Double check your oil level and make sure you have the proper amount in. 5-1/2 quarts.
What type of oil filter did you use?
Agreed, as Sharp said.....what oil filter?
__________________
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lexusfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-05, 12:28 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
125k, 180000, 1990, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1st, 2002, 2005, 20w50, 250, 277000, 30, 300, 3ook, 400, 5w, 5w30, 70k, 92, 94, 99, amsoil, beta, bilstein, bilsteins, bmw, brand, burning, buy, cam, cars, cartridge, castrol, change, club, cooling, crank, dealer, differences, dino, driving, edge, eibach, engine, es350, filter, fluid, flush, full, gallon, gen, good, grade, grage, high, is300, j1858, kind, lasts, leak, lexus, logo, long, ls, ls400, ls430, lsportline, lub, main, mileage, miles, mobil, mobil1, mobile, motor, negatives, oil, ow, pennzoil, penz, penzoil, platinum, put, putting, quarts, ratio, rear, recomendation, recommendation, reviews, run, rx330, ryco, sae, sc400, sc430, seal, seals, seeping, sl, slander, soarer, specs, start, straight, strut, struts, summer, switching, synthetic, sythetic, take, tein, test, trans, transmission, type, valvoline, viscosity, walmart, weight, year, zddp

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much did you pay for an oil change lexgolf LS460, LS460L and LS600h 49 01-06-14 03:35 PM
Oil leak, but from where-?? bgross88 RX - First Generation 12 11-20-13 06:04 PM
Facts about oil and what grade to choose RgSc Performance & Maintenance 23 10-07-13 06:39 AM
Engine oil/ tranny oil Volume123 Performance & Maintenance 5 05-04-13 07:16 AM
Which Brand of DOT 3 Brake Fluid Do You Use? ls400geek LS400 8 02-02-13 04:34 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:27 AM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info