LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Advice on Lexus LS400 Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-10, 09:53 AM
engelber
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Lexus LS400 Catalytic Converter

I own a 2000 LS400 with 90k miles. Today I found out that I need a new catalytic converter and was quoted $1500 for the part and another $500 for the labor. Online, it looks like non-OEM parts are much much less:

http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts....aspx?kc=ffsku

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Catal...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magna...Q5fAccessories

Are these that much worse? Any advice here would be much appreciated!
Old 10-16-10, 10:32 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

I needed new cats for my old 97 and used ebay, easy off & easy on, and turned the CEL light off.... no problems.

BUT!! unless you have another fuel problem, I dont think your cats are bad,
mine had 250k and was running rich.
Old 10-16-10, 10:58 AM
engelber
Driver School Candidate

Does that mean you think it is more likely an exhaust leak?
Old 10-16-10, 03:55 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

if the code is p0430 or similar, check o2 sensors and hunt for an exhaust leak first.

generally speaking, you won't have a cat failure from that code alone.
Old 12-15-10, 09:32 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hope that your problem is not Cats as suggested above but:

Saw a special on Catco the other day & it looks like a well run company that is certainly up to the task of making a replacement cat.

part #4198 is oem for the front of a first gen LS.

part numbers (left) 4273 & right (4272) are correct for a 2000 model LS. Commonly available in $220 range each & are direct fit. $500.00 for install is outrageuos, btw.

Note: all #'s above are for non-CA emissions!!

Last edited by damon; 12-15-10 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-19-15, 10:11 AM
gr8wyt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by billydpowe
I needed new cats for my old 97 and used ebay, easy off & easy on, and turned the CEL light off.... no problems.

BUT!! unless you have another fuel problem, I dont think your cats are bad,
mine had 250k and was running rich.

My 97 also needs cats. But needs both. Which ones did you order? I found some on amazon for $48 and wondering if those could work??
Old 08-19-15, 12:09 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8wyt
My 97 also needs cats. But needs both. Which ones did you order? I found some on amazon for $48 and wondering if those could work??
what leads you to believe you need to replace your cats? they should last the life of the engine if running properly. you most likely have another problem and the cats going bad is just secondary.
Old 08-19-15, 01:53 PM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Our street is a gravel road that gets some nasty potholes in the winter, which may have led to the pass side cat cracking in two. Just got a direct fit Magnaflow cat for $169 from with free shipping from Jegs. They didn't make it easy, but they price matched www.adavanceautoparts.com ...(the reviews were better w/Jegs).

Beautiful looking welds on it.
Old 08-20-15, 11:27 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

guys it's a 5 year old thread.
Old 08-20-15, 04:42 PM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
guys it's a 5 year old thread.
We don't discriminate based on age.
Old 08-25-15, 08:01 PM
rick1987
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure about the laws in your state, but I also have a CAT code.

I am not going to replace it, my car is a 2000 and I am no longer required to pass emissions.

I also notice if I drive kinda hard, fast acceleration and 80+ on the highway my light shuts off.

If I have the cruise control on at 50-65 my light will come on.

If it gets to the point where I have a clogged cat, I will cut it out, add in a pipe, and get a o2 spacer fit the rear o2. That "should" get rid of the light as the o2 is no longer in the direct airflow.
Old 08-25-15, 08:11 PM
Willflow
Driver School Candidate

Default Hey Rick

If you drive it hard and have no power loss and no light but drive it easy and have a light then you have either a fuel issue or your o2 isn't getting hot enough and or not reading correctly any longer. Have the o2's ever been replaced? I might look into that if I were you.
Old 09-24-15, 10:53 AM
Lennon4878
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rick1987
Not sure about the laws in your state, but I also have a CAT code.

I am not going to replace it, my car is a 2000 and I am no longer required to pass emissions.

I also notice if I drive kinda hard, fast acceleration and 80+ on the highway my light shuts off.

If I have the cruise control on at 50-65 my light will come on.

If it gets to the point where I have a clogged cat, I will cut it out, add in a pipe, and get a o2 spacer fit the rear o2. That "should" get rid of the light as the o2 is no longer in the direct airflow.
I have a 1995 and wanted to back out o2 sensors as cats not working. Do u know what size threads fit and what did u use for the spacer?

Martin
Old 08-18-17, 12:45 PM
AlaskanLS
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Update on my Headache 400, This morning I found one of the ignition coil is bad. I replaced it with a non OEM but the car still has no power, so I decide to take it to the muffler shop and they told me that it has 3 catalytic converters, two in the front left and right and one in the rear. They were able to install rear with universal Catalytic converter but not the front one. I am waiting for the ECU from eBay, once I replace the ECU and it don't solve the problem then I will replace front two catalytic converter as well.
Old 02-07-18, 02:34 PM
JetCat
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

AlaskanLS ... may I suggest to check and see if your coil wires are ok?

As for me, I had one on the driver side short out against the block ... it had been rubbing there for years ... I had no idea this was the case. I was able to do a temp repair on the wire and get the car going again .... however I ended up driving the car for way too long with the busted coil wire, thus dumping raw fuel through the exhaust and thus screwing up my cat on the driver side. I parked my car and stopped using it. Now I am finally getting around to fixing it all up .... so I also need some new cats; in this case I have to buy some that are legal in California.

I wonder what is the highest quality after market unit available? I have no idea, but maybe we can get lucky and someone will chime-in on this ... it sure would help. If it was any other car it probably would not matter so much .... but geeeze ... give me a break ... the actual Lexus replacement is insane, crazy expensive -- -- -- $$$$$$

Anyways ... I would for sure be checking your coil wires .... if I am not mistaken it is actually possible to buy just a single coil wire from your dealer .... if needed.
The following users liked this post:
oldskewel (02-08-18)

Quick Reply: Advice on Lexus LS400 Catalytic Converter