LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Oil Filter recommendations?

Old 10-12-10, 04:01 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Filter recommendations?

Hi folks. '92 LS400.

1. Any recommendations as to oil filter? Presently, I use Lexus filters.

2. Any recommendations as to oil? I'm on Mobil 1 5W-30 right now.

Any recommendations as to where to buy online?
Old 10-12-10, 07:21 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

napa auto parts carries wix filters which are the best in the industry...u need a 1348
Old 10-12-10, 09:07 AM
bornpeace
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ur doing okay no need to change, stick with toyota filter and mobil 1 5W-30. Park place sell toyota filter for $4.33 http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...08&catalogid=0 compare this with ur local toyota dealer, not lexus dealer. For mobil 1 go to walmart. If ur car is more than 75K you may consider mobil 1 high mileage. Use 5000miles interval and u will be okay.
Old 10-12-10, 09:42 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

why would anyone use high mileage oil for 75k? i wouldnt worry about "high mileage" oil till near 200k, if even then. ive got 175k on my ls400 and use reg castrol 10w40 and had no smoke at all from rings or valve stem seals etc...
Old 10-12-10, 11:55 AM
MicahBerry
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe Bornpeace was referring to "recommendation" on the bottle that if the vehicle has 75k+ miles it's considered "high mileage." I also think that the high mileage stuff may not be "energy conserving."

Personally, I don't know if the high mileage stuff provides any benefit for a well maintained LS. I thought the high mileage oil was supposed to swell the seals just a little.

Thanks,
Micah
Old 10-12-10, 12:29 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

you asked a loaded question Somnoboy - you may want to search the posts/threads on this subject before another long argumentive oil thread cranks up, and it happens on every car forum like an Avalanche. everyone will have thier own opinions on this and the quicker this thread dies the better -lol
Old 10-12-10, 03:51 PM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Default Thanks

Thanks for the tips, all. Why don't we let the debate continue on a bit. All the old hands here know it all, but for us newbies, every new thread (no matter how much is rehashed) is a great learning experience. For example, just above, a poster mentioned that the "hi mileage" oil tended to swell the seals a bit. I didn't know that. Useful information, especially since I have a rear main seal leak that occasionally drips a little. It seems to come and go. I haven't noticed it leaking lately, but that the hi mileage oil might help. This good, useful info. At the end of the day, isn't that the point of these forums?

Thanks again guys.
Old 10-12-10, 04:35 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by somnoboy
Thanks for the tips, all. Why don't we let the debate continue on a bit. All the old hands here know it all, but for us newbies, every new thread (no matter how much is rehashed) is a great learning experience. For example, just above, a poster mentioned that the "hi mileage" oil tended to swell the seals a bit. I didn't know that. Useful information, especially since I have a rear main seal leak that occasionally drips a little. It seems to come and go. I haven't noticed it leaking lately, but that the hi mileage oil might help. This good, useful info. At the end of the day, isn't that the point of these forums?

Thanks again guys.
be very careful what you put in your Lexus, while it may swell up one and slow down a leak, it may puff up two or three others that were not leaking until this gets in it. my daddy said "a hint to the wise should be sufficient"
Old 10-12-10, 06:12 PM
NisMax
Rookie

Im using OEM now, but next up is a K&N.
Old 10-12-10, 06:43 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Swell the seals? Seriously? If you have a leaking seal, then replace it.

I've driven two LS400's to moderately high mileages on Mobil 1 5/30 and OEM oil filters with zero oil consumption in both - the first one (1990) from new to 183,500 miles and my current one (2000) from 38,000 miles to it current 128,500 miles.

Toyota/Lexus V8 engines can go hundreds of thousands of miles on $4 OEM oil filters. I buy them in 10-packs, including 10 oil plug gaskets, for right at $40 at a local Toyota dealer. K&N seems to be sort of an urban legend and some of their products are simply overpriced crap that causes problems.
Old 10-13-10, 12:24 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

This is the best filter for our engines, and an added bonus you get increased oil capacity since the filter is larger. http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2217 . Carson Toyota is also a vendor here on CL.
Old 10-13-10, 01:27 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Thanks Billy Powell. I'll take the hint of advice and think long and hard before going with any "high milage" oil. I had mentioned my rear main seal leak a while back, and another generous poster here mentioned that he had the identical problem and had cured it by switching to Valvoline Max Life Synthetic Blend 5W-30. It sounded like a good solution to me. I haven't gotten to my next oil change yet (I go 5000 between changes), but my leak "seems" to have disappeared. Oh well. I throw the Valvoline suggestion out there to increase the collective knowledge.
Old 10-13-10, 01:36 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Default Kansas

Originally Posted by Kansas
Swell the seals? Seriously? If you have a leaking seal, then replace it.

I've driven two LS400's to moderately high mileages on Mobil 1 5/30 and OEM oil filters with zero oil consumption in both - the first one (1990) from new to 183,500 miles and my current one (2000) from 38,000 miles to it current 128,500 miles.

Toyota/Lexus V8 engines can go hundreds of thousands of miles on $4 OEM oil filters. I buy them in 10-packs, including 10 oil plug gaskets, for right at $40 at a local Toyota dealer. K&N seems to be sort of an urban legend and some of their products are simply overpriced crap that causes problems.
Kansas, I'm with you. Maybe it's just my subjective impression, but ever since I switched to the Mobil 1 5W-30 a couple of changes ago, my LS seems to run just an Nth degree smoother. I had been using the OEM filter since I bought the car in 92, but my local guy put something else in there last time. Doesn't seem to make a difference in driving, but I plan on going back to the OEM filter next change, and sticking with the Mobil 1 5W-30 and OEM filter combo for the long run for peace of mind.

Sub question that I'll post separately: When everyone here refers to "OEM," I'm assuming they are referring to Toyota part 90915-YZZD3. I see that there is also a 90915-20004 that fits a 92 LS. Which is better? Why? I would love to learn.

Thanks again guys. I'm learning a ton here, and saving big bucks as well.
Old 10-13-10, 01:39 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Default Two Toyota OEM filters?

Originally Posted by j three
This is the best filter for our engines, and an added bonus you get increased oil capacity since the filter is larger. http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2217 . Carson Toyota is also a vendor here on CL.
Jthree: When everyone here refers to "OEM," I'm assuming they are referring to Toyota part 90915-YZZD3. Your link points to a 90915-20004 that also seems to fit the 92 LS. Which is better? Why? I would love to learn.
Old 10-13-10, 01:44 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Default Oil Capacity for '92 LS

I know that a full oil change w/filter calls for 6 quarts of fresh oil. Yet at my last change, my local guy only seemed to need 5 quarts. We then both looked at the dipstick and it read "full."

What am I missing here? Keep in mind please that I'm a total newbie at this car DIY stuff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Filter recommendations?