LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

my bad weekend changing the starter. new problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-10, 04:47 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
Default my bad weekend changing the starter. new problems

well, friday i was off of work and pulled the intake manifolds to rebuild the starter. unfortunatly, i couldnt get the contacts back in correctly as my starter doesnt have the bolts holding the motor to it from the rear. so i pulled it and rebuilt the one i had gotten from the junkyard as it was much cleaner and in nicer shape. put it in, put it all back together, and i have a misfire. double checked that all injector clips were connected and all wires were sparking. took the plugs out. cleaned them, put them back. same issue. well, got a compression tester.

#2 cylinder has NO compression. while i had the intake manifold off, apparently something fell into the intake port on #2. i had paper towels stuffed in the holes and removed them before putting the intake back but seems it didnt matter. i used the leak down tester and determined it was an intake valve and after pulling the valve cover confirmed it is the #2 intake valve that is bent.

went yesterday and pulled a head at the junkyard in case i need it, though im hoping i only need to swap the one valve with a good one from the spare head. while its off im going to lap all the valves and change all the valve stem seals and the exhaust manifold gasket etc... im going to pull the drivers side head and do the same to that one as well. also, the car at the junkyard had a fairly new egr pipe so i got it also in case mine is messed up.

on a side note, while i had the intake manifold off, i took the egr valve off the upper intake manifold and it was completely clogged. took awhile to chip all the carbo buildup out and i used pb blaster and a wire brush to clean the parts up good once it was degunked. also used a long flat head screw driver to clean the port in the intake manifold itself to get all the crude out. im sure that will help my gas mileage too once its all back together, though im still pissed i have to pull the heads now. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

btw, does anyone know where the coolant drain plugs on the block are? i dont want any coolant getting into the oil passages or cylinders when i pull the heads. at the junk yard even when the coolant had been drained it still had some up in the head when i pulled it off.

Last edited by williamb82; 09-20-10 at 05:12 AM.
Old 09-20-10, 08:52 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

This tutorial shows where the drain plugs are.
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/cooling/coolant.html

Damn, what a weekend. I hate it when ya do one job and something else happens in the process and then ya have a whole nother job to do. Hope it all works out for ya.
Old 09-20-10, 10:03 AM
williamb82
Advanced

well i have to pull everything apart that i just put back together and then alot more too. oh, and my cell phone completely crapped out saturday night as well. so i had to pay a deductible to the ins company to get a replacement. hopefully itll arrive this week. i just hope the piston isnt damaged from whatever fell in. i cant really afford a replacement motor right now. though there are 3 complete ones at the pick and pull i could grab.

on a side note, i found an off the shelf grommet for the pcv valve in the drivers side valve cover. it snapped right into the valve cover and the pcv valve was able to be pushed in with some elbow grease. that grommet had been broken since i bought the car. also, this time around im replacing all the coolant hoses that route to the tb/iscv etc... so hopefully wont run into any leaks anytime soon either.
Old 09-21-10, 05:45 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

keep us posted as to what it was.... we had no problems with either 99 we fixed, the
2nd one was easy, two months apart.
Attached Thumbnails my bad weekend changing the starter. new problems-100_1869.jpg  
Old 09-21-10, 06:29 AM
williamb82
Advanced

i will. ive decided itll be best to just pull the engine. make everything easier to get too. my back is messed up and all the bending over to get under the hood really bugs it the most. plus since the head bolts need tqed to 29lbs and then turned 90deg, itll be easier out of the car, and with 175k on it, i want to change the rear main seal and front trans seal too. might as well just get it all done now. prolly gonna change all the front seals too even though the timing belt was changed like 6 months ago. previous owner hesitated when i asked if he did seals when he changed it so i doubt he did.
Old 09-21-10, 08:32 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by williamb82
i will. ive decided itll be best to just pull the engine. make everything easier to get too. my back is messed up and all the bending over to get under the hood really bugs it the most. plus since the head bolts need tqed to 29lbs and then turned 90deg, itll be easier out of the car, and with 175k on it, i want to change the rear main seal and front trans seal too. might as well just get it all done now. prolly gonna change all the front seals too even though the timing belt was changed like 6 months ago. previous owner hesitated when i asked if he did seals when he changed it so i doubt he did.
Good idea on pulling the engine. If you have the tools and time to do it, ya might as well. This way, like you said, all the seals can be changed easier. Plus while it's out you can clean everything that you want/need to. It's also easier having it at the height you need it at for your back. (sucks that we're getting old, doesn't it?)
Old 09-21-10, 09:16 AM
williamb82
Advanced

im not old(yet). got in a couple bad car wrecks. im only 28 damnit! lol. anyway, on the engine stand i can undo most the bolts sitting in a chair, and then the intake manifolds and head standing up not leaning at all. its actually pretty easy to remove the engine to be honest. the more i plan it out in my head the more it makes sense to just pull it. not as easy as my supra though. i can have the engine and trans out of that in an hour or so by myself. lol
Old 09-23-10, 06:33 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

im not old(yet). got in a couple bad car wrecks. im only 28 damnit! lol. anyway, on the engine stand i can undo most the bolts sitting in a chair, and then the intake manifolds and head standing up not leaning at all. its actually pretty easy to remove the engine to be honest. the more i plan it out in my head the more it makes sense to just pull it. not as easy as my supra though. i can have the engine and trans out of that in an hour or so by myself. lol
Didn't mean you were OLD, just as the days go buy everyone is getting old,ER. Sorry about your car wrecks. I was in a couple and spent many hours at the chiropractor. I got 20 years on ya and take it from me, your gonna feel those wrecks even more. Now it's alot easier working on a truck than a car. (less bending) It's nice to see a sense of humor. Good luck pulling the engine. Are you like me and do everything by yourself? I really don't like someone else working on my car just incase something goes wrong I know who to blame.
Old 09-23-10, 07:48 AM
williamb82
Advanced

yeah, i dont let anyone work on my car and very few people i even let help. if it gets broken, i did it and im ok with it. if someone else breaks it, god help them. lol. same reason no one has ever driven any of my cars. if i blow it up, i say F(*$ and shrug it off and get the next engine/trans ready to go in. if someone else were to blow it up. omg, id prolly have an aneurysm. lol. i think i had ocd or something. it has to be done my way if its mine and if someone else is helping i usually go back over anything they did to help. i also have to have everything neat. my gf laughs when i go around the bedroom and make sure all her dresser drawers are completly closed because she never closes them all the way and same thing for kitchen cabinets and drawers. drives me nuts when stuff isnt the way it should be. (prolly why i want to pull the engine deep down. recheck EVERYTHING!!!!) lol. and as for feeling the wrecks, i already feel them. usually after working on the car all day, if i sit down or lay down for any length of time, i can barely get up afterwards. it sucks. and my knee hurts all the time. was told i need surgery on it after the last wreck. still havent had it done yet. i need to go get it done so hopefully itll stop hurting.

also, if i wasnt so picky this car would of been done long ago. but its my never ending build and most of the parts i have arnt even installed because i dont have everything i need to do it exactly how i want yet.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2042690

Last edited by williamb82; 09-23-10 at 08:00 AM.
Old 09-27-10, 05:21 AM
williamb82
Advanced

well, saturday i pulld the engine and left the transmission in. what a pita!!!!! way more crap to disconnect then i realized, plus the 5 plugs on the trans were a pain to get to. got it out and on the stand though. egr pipe is cracked. looked at the "nice" one i grabbed from the junkyard, its cracked also, so im just gonna weld all the way around that ring with my mig. pulled the passenger side head. valve isnt bent. the 12mm nut that goes on the lower intake in that corner fell in the port and was stuck behind the valve and holding it slightly open. had to remove the valve to get it out. put the valve back and filled the intake port with acetone, no leaks. woo hoo. so now im going to rebuild the head, lap the valves and change the valve stem seals. then after i reinstall it ill finish pulling the other head and do the same.

on a side note, after i pulled the head. some of the oil drain ports had silicone stuck in them from where a previous owner tried to reuse the old valve cover gaskets with silicone. gonna remove the lower pan for sure to clean it out. prolly has more crap in it. also gonna be changing all front seals, the rear main seal, and trans front pump seal.

one of the motor mounts ripped in half even though it was unbolted, and the other one is so soft i wont reuse it. so the car will have to sit apart awhile so i can buy new motor mounts etc...

oh, and the heater control valve, the top nipple was broken off almost flush. you could see it disentegrated inside the heater hose so i need a new one of those as well. as i suspected i found alot more things wrong then what i had initially realized. and whoever disigned the engine harness for this thing deserves a punch to the face. the way some wires are routed is ridiculous.
Old 09-27-10, 06:01 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Nice to hear ya got it out, there's always more stuff to take off then you would think. Especially the wire harness, my god man, who zigzags wires like that? That silicone that you found in the oil ports, damn rookies, who doesn't use new gaskets? At least ya found it before something more major happened. Well, now ya have alot of work to do. I would tell you "no sitting down on the job" but that's why you pulled it. The fun begins. Good luck with it.
Old 09-27-10, 07:29 AM
williamb82
Advanced

yeah, to get the front water pipe off, you have to pull pretty much all front timing covers and my god, wtf is up wit hthe cam gear bolts being so tight? on a 7m, its like 35lb tq. i used a 4ft pipe on my breaker bar and was afraid i was gonna knock the engine off the stand to get them loose. i got the crank pulley bolt loose in the car before i pulled the engine.

also, there is soo much black crud on the sides of the motor from the valve cover leaks its crazy. i got ALOT of cleaning to do. luckily the gf seems to want to help and can scrub the sides of the block and valve covers/intake manifolds etc... for me.
Old 09-27-10, 11:49 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

yeah, to get the front water pipe off, you have to pull pretty much all front timing covers and my god, wtf is up wit hthe cam gear bolts being so tight? on a 7m, its like 35lb tq. i used a 4ft pipe on my breaker bar and was afraid i was gonna knock the engine off the stand to get them loose. i got the crank pulley bolt loose in the car before i pulled the engine.

also, there is soo much black crud on the sides of the motor from the valve cover leaks its crazy. i got ALOT of cleaning to do. luckily the gf seems to want to help and can scrub the sides of the block and valve covers/intake manifolds etc... for me.
the reason the cam gears aren't as tight on a 7m is because you have to pull them every 50ft for a BHG
Old 09-27-10, 12:08 PM
williamb82
Advanced

ok, what about a 5m? my 85 has 208k on the origonal motor and hg.
Old 09-27-10, 01:39 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

ok, what about a 5m? my 85 has 208k on the origonal motor and hg.

Quick Reply: my bad weekend changing the starter. new problems