LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

wind noise, driver door

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-10, 07:00 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wind noise, driver door

anyone have wind noise on the driver door from the window? When i roll up the window all the way it makes it worse, when i move it down 1/4 inch it gets better but its still not great.
Old 09-05-10, 09:12 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Noise at top or by mirror? Weather seal basically. Get while the getting is good. You can try a wedge at the offending point, that is what I did with most mine. But certain areas are harder to wedge something in and a fresh weather seal is
Old 09-06-10, 06:48 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Originally Posted by RA40
Noise at top or by mirror? Weather seal basically. Get while the getting is good. You can try a wedge at the offending point, that is what I did with most mine. But certain areas are harder to wedge something in and a fresh weather seal is
where can you get the weather stripping? i was looking through the threads and people are putting caulking foam in the stripping, it didnt go very well for me however i found the source of the wind. The door panel is not sucked in enough to the window, i should mention i coated the entire inside of the panel with fabric and construction glue for insulation but it made no difference at least at the wind noise. Is there a way to pull the panel tight to the window, maybe zip ties?, there is about 1mm of play.

Last edited by kuziwk; 09-06-10 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-06-10, 08:00 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Can be a variety of areas:

1. Does the door sit even with the fender and rear door? If not, adjusting the striker plate the appropriate amount will bring the door in tighter to the weather sealing.

2. If the window is out of alignment, you'll have to pull the panel off and adjust the window guides so that it is sitting properly to the window seals-frame. Keep in mind if the weather seal is degraded this may be near impossible to get a nice fit without creating noise elsewhere.

3. The exterior trim pieces, if these are loose, they will allow air to flow over-through them. I don't know how the LS400 trim pieces are attached...the Toyota's I've had some have a Phillips head at the ends while the center sections are plastic clips. There is a trim removal tool, that pops these off easily without breaking the clips, most the time. If this is the case, head over to your Toyota/Lexus guy for the appropriate clips to re-attach the trim.

I don't like silicone caulking or home renovation weather sealing either but sometimes it is the quickest fix and the least $$ approach.

Can you snap a pic so I have an idea of the specific area?
Old 09-06-10, 09:42 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Originally Posted by RA40
Can be a variety of areas:

1. Does the door sit even with the fender and rear door? If not, adjusting the striker plate the appropriate amount will bring the door in tighter to the weather sealing.

2. If the window is out of alignment, you'll have to pull the panel off and adjust the window guides so that it is sitting properly to the window seals-frame. Keep in mind if the weather seal is degraded this may be near impossible to get a nice fit without creating noise elsewhere.

3. The exterior trim pieces, if these are loose, they will allow air to flow over-through them. I don't know how the LS400 trim pieces are attached...the Toyota's I've had some have a Phillips head at the ends while the center sections are plastic clips. There is a trim removal tool, that pops these off easily without breaking the clips, most the time. If this is the case, head over to your Toyota/Lexus guy for the appropriate clips to re-attach the trim.

I don't like silicone caulking or home renovation weather sealing either but sometimes it is the quickest fix and the least $$ approach.

Can you snap a pic so I have an idea of the specific area?
yea i will take a picture. Not sure though it seems that the whole inside of the car has excessive wind noise from somewhere besides the driver door but ifi have the music on very low its not noticeable. Maybe im too picky or it could be the winter tires on the back? i have to close the sun shade to prevent the sunroof wind noise. I wish i had a DB metre.
Old 09-07-10, 12:39 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

start by taping off all edges of the drivers door , window and windshield then test drive it.
Keep going around the car until you find the leak.
Old 09-07-10, 05:37 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Originally Posted by skperformance
start by taping off all edges of the drivers door , window and windshield then test drive it.
Keep going around the car until you find the leak.
oh ok cool, good idea. I think i pretty much fixed the driver door issue but for the rest of the wind noise i will tape around the windshield. I honestly think im being too picky, it is still quiet in the cabin but i usually dont drive with other people so its hard to tell. Also most of the other vehicles wind noise is masked by drivetrain and road noise. BTW the doors do need to be adjusted or tightened, where are the bolts?.
Old 09-08-10, 08:02 PM
kuziwk
Driver

So i looked at the door, it is misaligned slightly, maybe 1 or 2mm, but both driver and front passenger doors are the same distance. You cant tell at all its misaligned without really focusing on the trim, its not sticking out at all though. I pulled the old subwoofer out, so there is a hole on the rear deck, maybe its coming from the trunk?. I did insulate the doors with some **** looking fabric material, not sure if it did anything but the doors close nicer, still have to do one more. Is there a special insulation i can glue to the door panel that will make a difference?