LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

'99 buying advice

Old 08-12-10, 10:59 AM
davispb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 buying advice

hello all- I haven't posted here, but have been lurking for quite some time. I'm looking at buying a '99 and was wondering if any of you owners could suggest some particulars about that generation to look for. I own a '92 and my mother has a '97. I've done the tb/wp on both of these cars, (and numerous other glitch fixes) so i feel like I know these two years very well. I was just wondering if any '99 owners could give me specific things to look for on this model year. The car I'm looking at is the jade/teal pearl? (black-i'm red-green color blind) with tan leather. The vehicle has 137k and had a tb/wp done at 120k. I haven't put hands on it yet, but I want to be prepped for what i should be looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old 08-12-10, 12:24 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

With 167k on mine I have had very little trouble.

Replaced the lower ball joints pro-actively along with upper control arms and strut rods (which looked ok).

HID lights were still optional and desirable.

The only concern from your comments is the TB was done at 120k. This is 30k over recommended and definitely pushing ones luck. Makes me wonder how the rest of the car was maintained such as oil changes.

Very reliable vehicles if maintained.

Mine had a catalyst replaced at 95k although still questionable whether it was really the cat or only a leak that triggered the engine code.

Also had the steering column replaced at the same time. Squeaked when I bought the car with 40k on it and had it serviced then. At 95k it stopped moving and was replaced.

Below is a copy of the Lexus website model library description (no longer available) for the 1999 model year:

1999 LS400 factory specifications from website.
Beneath the elegant exterior of the 1999 LS 400 lies the thundering force of a 290-horsepower V8 engine. It also features sophisticated safety features like Vehicle Skid Control (VSC).1
The 1999 Lexus LS 400 has retained the features refined in the 1998 design. Additional modifications include daytime running lights, and it now meets Transitional Low-Emission Vehicle (T-LEV) certification for all 50 states. The 1999 LS 400 is also available in a new color: Mystic Gold Metallic.
PERFORMANCE
• 0 - 60 mph acceleration 6.3 seconds4
• 1/4-mile acceleration 14.8 seconds4
• Top track speed 149 mph5
• Fuel consumption 19/25 mpg city/highway6
• Aerodynamic drag coefficient 0.28
1998 ratings 6.4 and 14.8, 3890 pounds.
2000 ratings 6.4 and 15.0, 3890 pounds.
DIMENSIONS
• Overall length 196.7 in
• Width 72.0 in
• Height 56.5 in (55.9 in with Electronic Air Suspension)
• Wheelbase 112.2 in
• Curb weight 3,890 lb
• Trunk space 13.9 cubic feet
• Fuel-tank capacity 22.5 gallons
ENGINE
• 90º V8, aluminum block and heads, Transitional Low-Emission Vehicle (T-LEV)
• Horsepower at rpm 290 hp @ 6,000
• Torque at rpm 300 lb-ft @ 4,000
TRANSMISSION
• Five-speed automatic Electronically Controlled Transmission with intelligence (ECT-i). Overdrive fifth gear, auto-select shift program, engine/transmission networking, flex-lockup torque converter
Selected Standard Features
SAFETY EQUIPMENT
• Driver's and front passenger's airbag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS)2
• Front seat-mounted side-impact airbags (SRS)2
• Three-point seatbelts front and rear, fronts with height-adjustable anchors, pre-tensioners and force limiters
• Vehicle Skid Control (VSC)1
• Daytime running lights
• Strong cabin structure with front and rear crumple zones
• Side-impact beams (front gusseted)
• Rear-window defogger with auto-off timer
• Variable intermittent windshield wipers with mist cycle
• Halogen headlamps with integrated foglamps
• Electrochromic rearview mirrors, outsides with defoggers
• Vehicle theft-deterrent and immobilizer system, with in-key transponder
• Four-wheel ventilated Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
• First aid kit
• Tool kit
LUXURY & CONVENIENCE
• Multi-information display with drive computer
• Multi-adjustable power front seats
• Power windows with auto open/close feature with pinch protection
• Dual-zone automatic climate control with interior air filter and smog sensor
• Lexus Memory System to control power driver's seat (except lumbar), outside rearview mirrors, driver's shoulder belt anchor height and steering wheel
• Leather-trimmed seating surfaces and interior
• Walnut interior trim
• Wood- and leather-trimmed steering wheel and shift ****
• Three-way programmable transmitter to activate garage door, driveway gate
• Power tilt-and-telescopic steering column with automatic tilt-away
• Power door locks with driver's two-turn unlock feature
• Dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors
• Sliding left and right sun visors, center sun visor
• AM/FM/cassette seven-speaker 195-watt (max power) audio system
• Multifunction remote entry system
• Retained accessory power
• Dual-compartment center console with accessory power outlet and Lexus Cellular Phone storage capability
• Floor mats
• Headrests for all seats, including rear-center
AVAILABLE OPTIONS
Premium Package
• In-dash, six-disc CD auto-changer
• Power tilt-and-slide moonroof with one-touch open/close, pinch protection and sliding sunshade
• High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps
Nakamichi Audio System Package
• Lexus/Nakamichi 280-watt (max power) Premium Sound System
• Power tilt-and-slide moonroof with one-touch open/close, pinch protection and sliding sunshade
• Heated front seats
Navigation System Package
• Lexus Navigation System3
• Heated front seats
Individual Options
• Nakamichi Audio System Package or Navigation System Package
• Electronic Air
• Heated front seats (requires Premium Package)
• Lexus Chrome Wheels
• All-season tires (no-cost option)

CHANGES MADE TO THE 1999 LS 400
Standard Features:
• Adoption of driver's-side outside mirror tilt-down feature
• Floor mats standardized
• Wood- and leather-trimmed steering wheel and shift **** standardized
• Daytime running lights
• Meets Transitional Low-Emission Vehicle (T-LEV) certification for 50 states
Optional Features:
• New exterior color: Mystic Gold Metallic
1Lexus Vehicle Skid Control (VSC) is an electronic system designed to help the driver maintain vehicle control under adverse conditions. It is not a substitute for safe driving practices. Factors including speed, road conditions and driver steering input can all affect whether VSC will be effective in preventing a loss of control. Please see your Owner's Manual for further details.
2The Lexus driver's, front passenger's, and front seat-mounted side-impact airbags are a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS). The driver's and front passenger's airbags are designed to inflate in a severe frontal collision. The side-impact airbags are designed to inflate in a severe side-impact collision. In all other accidents, the airbags will not inflate. To decrease the risk of injury from a deploying airbag, always wear seatbelts, sit upright in the middle of the seat, and do not lean against the door. Do not put objects in front of an airbag or around the seatback. Do not use rearward-facing child seats in any front passenger seat. The force of a deploying airbag SRS may cause serious injury. Please see your Owner's Manual for further instructions.
3The Lexus Navigation System is designed to assist in locating an address or point of interest. Discrepancies may be encountered between the system and your actual location. Changes in street names, road closures, traffic flow or other road system changes may affect the accuracy of the mapping software. Rely upon your common sense to decide whether or not to follow a specified route. Detailed coverage not available in every city. Optional periodic geographic updates available at an additional cost. See your Navigation Owner's Manual and your Lexus dealer for further details.
4Motor Trend, December 1997. These performance capacity figures are for comparison only and were obtained with prototype vehicles by professional drivers using special safety equipment and procedures. These should not be attempted on public streets or highways.
5These performance capacity figures are for comparison only and were obtained with prototype vehicles by professional drivers using special safety equipment and procedures. These should not be attempted on public streets or highways.
6Preliminary mileage figures determined by Lexus. See your Lexus dealer for details.
Old 08-12-10, 03:41 PM
mark98ls40
Rookie

My 99 LS has been great also.
But my 98 LS (with higher miles) had a leaky power steering pump that can leak onto the alternator. I assume that can happen with the 99 as well.
Old 08-12-10, 07:21 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Avoid Nav if possible.
Old 08-14-10, 08:06 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

you have mine on the lexus owners club... good luck, I love them, plus I keep looking on craigslist for a 1999-2000.. a 1998 would have to be really something, to make me give up my 97.. (I like the wood/leather steering wheels)
Old 08-14-10, 11:01 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I got my 1999 LS with 38000 over 5 years ago. It now has 118K miles. So far I changed strut bars, ball joints, outer tie rods, alternator, battery(besides the standard 60K and 90K service, changed spark plugs at both, probably didn`t have to -they last a long time).I use 5-30 Mobil1 synth and every oil change I drain and refill T-IV transmission fluid (about 2qts comes out).
Old 08-15-10, 10:26 PM
valex
Advanced

Default 1999 LS with navigation

Originally Posted by lexuslspro
Avoid Nav if possible.
Could you explain why Navigation should be avoided? I know it is outdated and last upgrade was in 2004(?), but I like the touch screen controls for Climate and Stereo.
Old 08-16-10, 01:41 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

the above is pretty much it, in most metropolitan areas the nav is just useless, and is really only useful as a novelty item.
Old 08-16-10, 07:08 AM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by valex
Could you explain why Navigation should be avoided? I know it is outdated and last upgrade was in 2004(?), but I like the touch screen controls for Climate and Stereo.
Touch is not really all it's cracked up to be, especially 1999 touch.

When /If it breaks you'll wish you had the regular climate control buttons.

As PD said NAV is virtually useless,very outdated and impractical .
Old 08-16-10, 12:27 PM
puddintane
Driver School Candidate

Default 99 ls

I currently own 3 Lexus; 2 RX and a 99 LS. I bought the 99 new on July 14, 1999 from Warnock Lexus in NJ. It has 79244 miles as of today. It has NAV, never had a problem, except there are a LOT of roads not on the disc. My total non maintenence items have been 3 replaced light bulbs. Maybe that's maintenence also. Never been hit seriously, but lots of little dings. It rides like a new car, and the leather is perfect. No one has ever sat in the back seats. I wouldn't trade or sell it for anything. I have all service done at lexus dealers, and pay for it with the points on my Lexus Visa. I have owned 11 Lexus since my first 90 LS. I love them.

puddintane
Old 08-16-10, 02:11 PM
valex
Advanced

I live in a rural area and don`t use NAV much, but when I get to Denver,CO it is useful in 7-8 times out of 10. So, for me it is better then nothing and I would rather have it than not.
Val
Old 08-16-10, 02:19 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're better off with a portable Garmin...
Old 08-16-10, 02:22 PM
djMaru
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JimsGX
You're better off with a portable Garmin...
i agree. some people love Garmin and some preferred navi in the car as option. just whatever you like.
Old 08-17-10, 10:54 AM
MicahBerry
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased my 99 LS at the end of April with 113k miles, now with 119 miles. So far, it’s been an excellent road car. From your write up, sounds like you’ve found one that has been well maintained. Just to state the obvious, be sure to pull a Carfax to make sure it’s not been hit hard. Carfax isn’t full-proof, but it does provide a little extra insurance. Also, you can call your local Lexus dealer to see if there have been any major problems with the VIN of the car you’re looking at. My personal experience included calling the dealer listed on the Carfax of one LS I was looking at, which revealed that it had been in their shop only for bodywork. Carfax did not have the reason why the car had been at the dealer (it also reported it as a no-accident car). I think you’ll be surprised at what you find out about a car if you’ll just ask.

You said that you already own a ’92, so you know how nice these cars are if they’re well maintained. I would hate to have to troubleshoot an LS that had not been maintained. Yikes.
Old 08-17-10, 03:47 PM
mark98ls40
Rookie

I have Factory Nav in 2 other vehicles, but just a Garmin in my LS. The portable Garmin is much easier to use imho.