LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1993 Ls400 wont start....help im walkin!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-10, 12:00 PM
pearl93'ls
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow! Thats a new one...yeah i will check that next..I may go get some wires too.
Old 09-29-10, 12:45 PM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

crazy but true.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-issues-6.html
Old 09-29-10, 04:47 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Mech said "Just an O2 sensor, don't worry about it" ? They're there for a reason, if one is bad, change it. 300K miles with original plugs? WOW, what neglect. Yes you should change the plug wires, they're original also, and the ECT sensor. What do you get for MPG, 10? 12 maybe? Also check your AFM, could need to be cleaned but be VERY careful with it. Definately read up on how to clean it b/c you can screw it up pretty bad if ya do it wrong. Who said your battery was toast, this same mechanic? I don't see how letting a car sit for two months will kill a battery, maybe drain it but not kill it.
Old 09-30-10, 06:48 AM
pearl93'ls
Driver

lets just say I have carried it to a reputable Lex indy across town...I barely made it over there 0-60 in about 1 minute...skipping badly...also developed nasty oil leak during this current issue..drippin on exhaust ..whew smoky...

I did the air mass flow sensor on my 850 turbo...bought a used one for 100 bucks..but the volvo would not even idle...You had to keep ur foot in the gas

My LS idle perfectly..but has no power and skips thruout the entire powerband.

Stupid question...and i will search the forum of course..... but talk to me about this ect sensor?....

I was still getting close to 20mpg driving to Atl everyday..60 mile commute pure freeway running 80.. Sometimes the car had a slight ever so slight surge under mod to heavy acceleration before all this happened..
Old 09-30-10, 06:51 AM
pearl93'ls
Driver

oh and I kept the $140 so called dead interstate battery...Gonna try and charge it myself..He said it would not take a charge because I let it sit dead for too long..who knows we will see wha happens..Thanks for all the info guys..I love an active forum..
Old 09-30-10, 07:54 AM
williamb82
Advanced

did you check the hood insulation like i mentioned?
Old 09-30-10, 08:23 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pearl93'ls
lets just say I have carried it to a reputable Lex indy across town...I barely made it over there 0-60 in about 1 minute...skipping badly...also developed nasty oil leak during this current issue..drippin on exhaust ..whew smoky...

I did the air mass flow sensor on my 850 turbo...bought a used one for 100 bucks..but the volvo would not even idle...You had to keep ur foot in the gas

My LS idle perfectly..but has no power and skips thruout the entire powerband.

Stupid question...and i will search the forum of course..... but talk to me about this ect sensor?....

I was still getting close to 20mpg driving to Atl everyday..60 mile commute pure freeway running 80.. Sometimes the car had a slight ever so slight surge under mod to heavy acceleration before all this happened..
Your oil leak is probably the valve cover gaskets, they are above the exhaust and always known to leak. Mine were leaking in the back and couldn't see it until I crawled underneath and looked up. The "ECT" (Engine Coolant Temp sensor) is the most important sensor ya have. Do a search but this is the thread that pops up the most:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...read-this.html
It's located on top of engine, passenger side, under the coil. I would still check your AFM though. Unplug it and see if there's any change. Pull the fuse for the ECU, unplug AFM, replace fuse. Does it skip while in neutral or just when you're driving?
Old 09-30-10, 08:50 AM
pearl93'ls
Driver

awesome... thanks...Just got the call from my NEW guy and he said it was only runnin on 4 cyl right now. he is pulling all the codes but he said exactly what you have said...ECT or AFM..
Old 09-30-10, 09:09 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pearl93'ls
awesome... thanks...Just got the call from my NEW guy and he said it was only runnin on 4 cyl right now. he is pulling all the codes but he said exactly what you have said...ECT or AFM..
Neither one of those will make it run on 4 cylinders. Did this mechanic say it was "definately" running on only 4 cyl or is he guessing? If it's for sure then it could be one of your coils or just a coil wire. Whoever changed your plugs might have pinched the wire to were it touched the engine and got burnt. Or the wire could have been not plugged in all the way and vibrated off. Seeing how you already have it at the mechanic see what he says. Hope he's better then the last one.
Old 09-30-10, 06:15 PM
pearl93'ls
Driver

Mechanic called me back at 5 today and said it was one of the coils...he said that should fix it. We will see...finger crossed
Old 10-01-10, 05:38 AM
williamb82
Advanced

did he verify its a coil by swapping them around? if not it could be the ignitor for that coil, or the cam sensor for that coil etc... what codes came up when he checked them?
Old 10-01-10, 07:01 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

hmmm,some weird responses here to the problem at hand. if your "before the cats" 02 sensor(s) are bad,it will cause the car to dump fuel which in turn will cause the plugs to foul. get ur check engine light resolved first,then see where ur at.sounds like u may have more than one problem
Old 10-01-10, 07:56 AM
pearl93'ls
Driver

hmm...to many dam sensors geez..lol I appreciate yalls knowledge here..
The car has always been so reliable I have not had to learn all this new stuff.

Now ask me about a Mercedes w123 chassis now we can talk! Thats where I have spent my last 11 yrs.... diesels!

I am headed over there now for an update. My tab right now stands at $475 with new battery, plugs, and coil whathaveyou..where will it stop
Old 10-01-10, 11:34 AM
pearl93'ls
Driver

So I have a new battery (plus my so called dead one I bought new last yr) new spark plugs and a new igntion coil for the left distributor. Was all that worth $463?

He also said I needed 2 new O2 sensors..I believe he said front ones..pre-cat?...He quoted me $200 per O2 sensor (oem) and $125 to put em in. for a total of $525...Can a novice like me perform this if I have a few tools and a nice tutorial?

The car does run awesome again now and with new plugs it seems alot smoother when revving at idle..It used to vibrate some..

I am happy to be outa that dam Town and Country for a while
Old 10-01-10, 11:45 AM
MicahBerry
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Pearl93'ls,

Check here for a pictorial on changing O2 sensors:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/EFI/m...gensensor.html.

The LexLS website is an awesome site. Hope this helps!

Micah

Quick Reply: 1993 Ls400 wont start....help im walkin!