LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Coconut oil as conditioner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-10, 05:06 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
wow 76! how long have u had your LS400?
I have had a total of 8 of them since 97. two now, 97 & 99
Old 08-06-10, 05:14 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Smell, plesant to me, but not lingering, drys soon, and I use a clean (wash rag) and just buff it out, turning it often..
Old 08-07-10, 11:53 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have used coco butter paste for years never tried the oil.
It is usually at walmart in the ethnic hair/skin section .
Its a small tub and once rubbed in your hand it melts .
Rub on after cleaning and no need to buff off , it smells nice and leaves no residue on clothes .
Old 08-08-10, 12:14 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

just curious but do you guys use this to CLEAN or to protect/nourish after cleaning?
Old 08-08-10, 12:45 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
just curious but do you guys use this to CLEAN or to protect/nourish after cleaning?

procedure was a green scouring pad with spot shot stain remover which removed all the disgusting gunk. Followed by a treatment of Armer all cleaner/conditioner which looks similar to semen, lol. Than i used extra virgin organic coconut oil and let it sit over night. I use the oil on my skin all the time after a sun burn or in the sun works great. The next day some dry spots appeared and i just wiped off all the excess. The seats feel alot better already however it now needs to be treated every few few days for a month, and than monthly afterwards. The seals turned out great and the car seems to be quieter on the highway, minus the oil on the windows which you use windex to get off.
Old 08-09-10, 01:13 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kuziwk
procedure was a green scouring pad with spot shot stain remover which removed all the disgusting gunk. Followed by a treatment of Armer all cleaner/conditioner which looks similar to semen, lol. Than i used extra virgin organic coconut oil and let it sit over night. I use the oil on my skin all the time after a sun burn or in the sun works great. The next day some dry spots appeared and i just wiped off all the excess. The seats feel alot better already however it now needs to be treated every few few days for a month, and than monthly afterwards. The seals turned out great and the car seems to be quieter on the highway, minus the oil on the windows which you use windex to get off.

OMG you used a scouring pad on the seats ?
That is really bad for them , the most abrasive thing to use on them is cold water and Mr. Clean magic eraser with light force. You have stripped the seats by using that scouring pad and they will start to dry up and crack .

I use mr clean to remove dirt and oils (steering wheel armrest areas especially) then follow up with a microfibre to wipe off water /dirt and eraser residue . Followed by the coconut butter on a hot day when I know I can leave the car for a day or too to soak in.
Old 08-09-10, 06:06 AM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol..why would the car be quieter on the highway after the seats have been conditioned?

I think you may have totally destroyed your seats with the scouring pads. No wonder you have to keep conditioning your seats so often. You've completely scraped off the top of the seats where there is a protective coating for the leather.

You are supposed to use a SOFT cloth or your hand to massage the conditioner into and onto the seat.

Good Luck!
Old 08-12-10, 06:34 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by billydpowe
spring and fall, feed & tack stores or:

http://www.horse.com/item/fiebings-p...b-001b2166c62d

webpage: http://www.fiebing.com/Leather_Care.aspx

of coarse, being 76, I am from the old school....

well Criminently!!

I havent heard the term Neatsfoot oil for some time. Marty Robbins comes to mind actually.

no offense BillyD.
Old 08-12-10, 06:42 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by skperformance

OMG you used a scouring pad on the seats ?
That is really bad for them , the most abrasive thing to use on them is cold water and Mr. Clean magic eraser with light force. You have stripped the seats by using that scouring pad and they will start to dry up and crack .

I use mr clean to remove dirt and oils (steering wheel armrest areas especially) then follow up with a microfibre to wipe off water /dirt and eraser residue . Followed by the coconut butter on a hot day when I know I can leave the car for a day or too to soak in.
agreed - the Magic Erasers are wonderful to use, key words -"Light Force"! and they do leave a slight milky film after use, and you cant see it till it dries - so be sure to wipe it down after using the erasers.

A scouring pad does exactly what the name applies - not good for leather, really only good for stainless steel sinks.
Old 08-12-10, 07:33 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

I havent heard the term Neatsfoot oil for some time. Marty Robbins comes to mind actually.

no offense BillyD. Marty makes me think "out in the west texas town of el paso"
Old 08-12-10, 07:45 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by billydpowe

no offense BillyD. Marty makes me think "out in the west texas town of el paso"
"I fell in love with a mexican girl..." LOL!

very nice
Old 08-12-10, 10:42 AM
Raddison
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't he meant the steel wool-ish scouring pads. I think he's referencing the much softer (...but still a scouring pad) green ones that are used for dishes and such, I don't think that they would do any damage to the leather. But then again, I've washed dishes with these, not cleaned seats
Old 08-12-10, 10:54 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

lexus leather has a protective polyurethane coating, any abrasive scouring will wear that off easily.
Old 08-12-10, 01:06 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raddison
I don't he meant the steel wool-ish scouring pads. I think he's referencing the much softer (...but still a scouring pad) green ones that are used for dishes and such, I don't think that they would do any damage to the leather. But then again, I've washed dishes with these, not cleaned seats
Make no mistake those will destroy your seats.

Steel wool scouring pads ... I would use sparingly for pots and pans..lol

The green scouring pads...I'd be hard pressed to find a use for them in my Lexus.

Now off to do some dishes...err later
Old 08-12-10, 03:16 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

green pad on the exhaust tips but absolutely no where else.

Quick Reply: Coconut oil as conditioner?