LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

EASY 93-94 LS400 $3.00 CLuster Flicker and Gas needle Fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-10, 04:46 PM
4litre
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteivory
So. What if the temperature is off
If the temp guage is off and it seems to not be where it should be or dances around, somewhere on the engine block there is a engine temperature sensor that gets old and too far out of calibration. This needs replacing as well. Again I'm only going off past experiences with other cars I've had.
Old 07-20-10, 05:12 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Rice,

Nice writeup and thank you for the edits... I will advise you that we do have terms of service regarding both inappropriate language/cursing and advertising (and we do enforce our forum rules linked here for your review). Also, this is the second thread of yours edited to remove blatant self-promotion, please knock that off unless you are ready to sign up and become a forum vendor. If you have questions, please PM me so this thread can stay on topic.

I'll also ask other members to report inappropriate posts rather than simply replying to them and making what could be a usefull thread go downhill.
Old 07-21-10, 02:30 AM
Rice4eveR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did some more research today and figured out why the speedo and tach randomly quits working. I will have a thread on how to fix that for $3 this week.

Rice
www.Rice4eveR.com
Old 07-21-10, 04:56 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

well, the gas gauge will read zero for awhile, then jump to full, then drop to zero, then after another hour or so it jumps back to half or near there etc... ill check the plug at the sender again, but last time i did it seemed fine. guess ill grab my meter and check the resistance at a full tank and again when i know im getting low. the old thread said these caps would fix this same issue, and then there was a thread by a guy on this forum that does the repair that said there is also an ic that goes bad that can cause this problem. iirc he said it is on the small board of the cluster.
Old 07-21-10, 09:44 AM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will wait for the tach diy. Good write up!
Old 07-22-10, 06:20 PM
kayuwong
Rookie

Default Great detail write-up, help on Climate Control LCD

I followed your instruction and did mine repair using old computer parts. Everything works as you mentioned. I see you may have climate control black-out problem on his pictures. Mine works under long hours of sun exposure and fade away when cahin cools down. Do you have this problem? Mine guess is that just like those 3 bad ECs. Do you have which CXXX is for the climate control LCD? I assume that EC need to be replaced as well. Once again. good job on your write-up. Thanks.
Old 07-23-10, 12:03 PM
agrawalr
Driver School Candidate

Default Beautiful!

My instrument cluster was flickering on and off randomly, and it didnt even seem like it was weather related (i'm in sunny california ). Also none of the center console lights were staying on. They would turn on for half a second and then turn off.

Everything was linked to those capacitors I replaced (maybe just 2 out of the 3 actually... not sure).

Ricer4Ever -- Thank you so much!! There is great value in a DIY that gets straight to the point. Yes the info was covered in some other thread 223 posts long.. but that wasn't what I needed. I'm so grateful!

PS. Taking the instrument cluster out was a pain in the butt at first. I had to kind of wiggle it around and turn it in different directions.. It will work out!
Old 09-04-10, 11:09 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Rice4eveR
did some more research today and figured out why the speedo and tach randomly quits working. I will have a thread on how to fix that for $3 this week.

Rice
www.Rice4eveR.com
What ended up happening? I want to know the fix. I'm tired of beating my dashboard.
Old 09-23-11, 06:48 PM
SkulCracka
Pole Position

my 93 the gas gage jumps around and the speedo at full stop sit like 1/8 below the zero. then jumps up after i start moving does this fix both those problems? also have a weird issue with the center back lit buttons and the lights in the lcd's in the center.

Last edited by SkulCracka; 09-23-11 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-24-11, 01:00 PM
Dtwillis5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good job

Originally Posted by Rice4eveR
REVISED*For people with some technical knowledge only* Do this at your own risk!*

Hi... My name is Rice. I wasn't gonna pay 1200 bux to get my 93 ls400 Lexus cluster to stop flickering and my gas gauge working again! Here is my permanent fix. It cost me $3 or $4 bucks!

Here is my cluster. I just took it out and I'am ready to get to work! The whole job took me 12-15 mins but I was a technician for like 15 years so please take your time!

Back of the cluster. take the white plastic cover off. It is held together with 10 or so screws!

I bought these capacitors from Frys electronics. If you don't have a Frys near you then hop your *** on www.Frys.com and order them by the part numbers provided below!

The labels with prices and part numbers

Unsolder (from the top side) capacitor from c212 that is located on the small board and replace with a 10 uf (10mfd) 16 volt capacitor.

Do the same for c142 and c147 located on the big board! C142 is to be replaced with new capacitor 4.7 Uf 25 volt and c147 is to be replaced with 10uf 50 volt.

Super small

Bend and cut the legs into feet like the one below

Don't burn yourself with the iron!

Yeah like the pic says... I screwed up and ripped off the copper lead rushing, so I took a probe and scratched the green coating off the board so that I could have a new spot to solder

Looks great and doesn't flicker anymore, cold or hot! I hope I don't make the dudes that charge hella money on eBay mad... but ****um! half of them charge to much for the service anywaY!

As always I had a blast teaching you somethin' new!
Thank you for reading!

Rice
www.Rice4eveR.com
Good how-to do it yourself! If they have problems with your texting tell them to get one off ebay cause you didn't have to do this.
The following users liked this post:
lucasv555 (05-03-17)
Old 09-26-11, 01:57 PM
SkulCracka
Pole Position

this $3 dollar repair is actualy only 0.55 here a link for japanese caps. these are the high temp good ones.

http://www.acme-sales.net/portal.php?country=USA

they have led's and other items you might want aswell. there local to me so i can just drive over.

call before ordering as i did they were out of some of the smaller voltage 16v cap and the 25v but they had higher voltage ones. remember you can go up in volts. oh and incase your a newb like me. UF is the same as MF.
Old 09-26-11, 03:32 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by SkulCracka
this $3 dollar repair is actualy only 0.55 here a link for japanese caps. these are the high temp good ones.

http://www.acme-sales.net/portal.php?country=USA

there local to me so i can just drive over.
Wow, lucky you are local b/c those shipping charges are outragious. The shipping will cost ya 10 X the amount of the part ya need.
Old 09-26-11, 03:43 PM
SkulCracka
Pole Position

hah ya i just went and seen that o0ps ohwell needed a few more posts. heheheeeeee
Old 09-27-11, 11:49 AM
SkulCracka
Pole Position

need wiring diagram of where c147 postive side trace goes to please. seems i messed it up or that was part of the clusters problem. thanks.

EDIT : Never mind i figured out the trace.

Last edited by SkulCracka; 09-27-11 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-27-11, 12:37 PM
filthyLS4
Driver

good write up, and great pics so u say that a 96-00 civic hub will fit? maybe i will try it also i have a nrg quick release with a short hub and woodgrain nrg steering wheel that came off my ek

Quick Reply: EASY 93-94 LS400 $3.00 CLuster Flicker and Gas needle Fix