LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Grinding noise from rear brake, differential

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-20, 07:27 PM
hoemseiha
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding noise from rear brake, differential

I just want to ask another question about brake system. My LS400 has had strange behavior and I will describe the symptoms to you right away.

1) There is a short (about 1 second) grinding vibration noise from the rear lower part when the car moves forward on the Drive gear (only after the car was parked more hours). I suspect that the noise is from either the rear brake or the differential. Note that the noise never happens (1) in the hot engine and never happen when (2) in Reverse gear. I asked the mechanicians to check the oil and they said the oil is fine. And these mechanicians never find any proper solutions to get rid of the noise.

2) Another issue is that when hard braking at 30-60 miles per hour, the car pulls to one side (not aggressively but enough to cause danger if there is another car hopping along close by as it pulls that way).

3) At a low speed on a bumpy surface road, hard braking also cause a trouble by (1) pulling to one side and (2) grinding noise while the brake pedal pushing back to my foot simultaneously. Even when I try to release my foot from the brake pedal, the grinding noise still persists to some time.

4) Move from a complete stop, when on Drive gear (on any engine condition) as (1) I try to turn the car to one side (turn with the complete degree of the steer) and (2) while also trying to brake, there is also grinding noise at the rear part as if coming from the rear brake and also the brake pedal pushes back my foot simultaneously.

I have troubles with strange braking system and differential noise. Please help me with these problems.

Thanks in advance.

Seiha
Old 04-16-20, 01:14 PM
JohnAndic
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Sounds like something is wrong with your brakes. Rear differential maybe for the grinding? Doesn't sound to safe.
Old 04-19-20, 12:47 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by hoemseiha
I just want to ask another question about brake system. My LS400 has had strange behavior and I will describe the symptoms to you right away.

1) There is a short (about 1 second) grinding vibration noise from the rear lower part when the car moves forward on the Drive gear (only after the car was parked more hours). I suspect that the noise is from either the rear brake or the differential. Note that the noise never happens (1) in the hot engine and never happen when (2) in Reverse gear. I asked the mechanicians to check the oil and they said the oil is fine. And these mechanicians never find any proper solutions to get rid of the noise.

2) Another issue is that when hard braking at 30-60 miles per hour, the car pulls to one side (not aggressively but enough to cause danger if there is another car hopping along close by as it pulls that way).

3) At a low speed on a bumpy surface road, hard braking also cause a trouble by (1) pulling to one side and (2) grinding noise while the brake pedal pushing back to my foot simultaneously. Even when I try to release my foot from the brake pedal, the grinding noise still persists to some time.

4) Move from a complete stop, when on Drive gear (on any engine condition) as (1) I try to turn the car to one side (turn with the complete degree of the steer) and (2) while also trying to brake, there is also grinding noise at the rear part as if coming from the rear brake and also the brake pedal pushes back my foot simultaneously.

I have troubles with strange braking system and differential noise. Please help me with these problems.

Thanks in advance.

Seiha
Have the mechanics drained the differential and checked for damage? Have they also taken the rear brakes apart and checked the parking brake as well as the other components?
Old 04-20-20, 05:56 PM
Bylan
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Are you familiar with ABS and how the brake pedal feels when the ABS pump is active? Id bet that is what you are feeling and hearing. Not sure the best way to test it without having a scanner capable of reading ABS codes. Maybe pupp ABS fuse for a day and see if the sound and feeling occurs?