LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Axle CV Boots

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-13, 12:02 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by valex
A piece of advice, anyone?
not trying to be a smart-a$$, but my advice would be don't buy a second hand axle! - this is a wear part, kind of like you wouldn't buy some old junkyard worn-out tires!

this part (called the CV Half Shaft Assembly) is only $103 reman at RockAuto which will essentially be new one, as the CV's joints and boots will be new, the only thing that will be original is the axle itself which is not a wear part.
Old 11-06-13, 12:06 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

the the halfshafts are generally not a failure point but with reman units so cheaply available that is probably a better route to take.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 11-11-13 at 05:59 AM.
Old 11-06-13, 09:09 AM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 1999 LS400 axle

I had a tiny hole in the wheel end boot and it was creeping out, I have been procrastinating for a little over a year and just last night changed the whole axle, used axle, but that is what I had handy.

Now that I know how it is done, I might send my old one to get it rebuilt and then install it back.

As for the boot losing grease, what symptoms would you experience? Like I said, it was a small hole in mine and it lasted a long time, I decided not to find out how long exactly it would last and changed it Before I changed it I started hearing some low noise but only at high speeds, was that the joint without enough grease?
Old 11-06-13, 09:22 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

I had a tiny hole in the wheel end boot and it was creeping out, I have been procrastinating for a little over a year and just last night changed the whole axle, used axle, but that is what I had handy.

Now that I know how it is done, I might send my old one to get it rebuilt and then install it back.

As for the boot losing grease, what symptoms would you experience? Like I said, it was a small hole in mine and it lasted a long time, I decided not to find out how long exactly it would last and changed it Before I changed it I started hearing some low noise but only at high speeds, was that the joint without enough grease?
where the problem comes in, is that the junkyard replacement may be in worse shape internally than the one you took out!

the way modern rebuilding works, is that you just buy the reman unit, and then return your core to them for a $40 credit, resulting in the $103 price - unless you just happen to know a CV rebuilding craftsman who works cheap, which is usually very difficult to find locally, you usually end up with half-azz work at a high price!
Old 11-06-13, 09:29 AM
valex
Advanced

Yes, I meant to say reman, not rebuilt.

As for the symptoms of a joint losing grease, what are they? Is that low humming noise I was hearing at high speeds it?
Old 11-06-13, 09:33 AM
valex
Advanced

I decided to install this used one, because at Rockauto you need to send your core before they will start working on your reman. and I didnt want to be without a car for 10 days or even longer. Now I can send my original in and keep driving meanwhile.
Old 11-06-13, 10:19 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

I decided to install this used one, because at Rockauto you need to send your core before they will start working on your reman. and I didnt want to be without a car for 10 days or even longer. Now I can send my original in and keep driving meanwhile.
this is not true - you pay the extra $40 up front, immediately receive the part, then you have 6 months to return your old core for a refund or credit of the $40 (you have to pay the shipping back though, so send it slow & cheap!)

from the Rock Auto website:

Remanufactured parts usually have a core charge. The core charge is a deposit that the manufacturer charges us, and which we pass on to you, to encourage the return of old parts to be remanufactured. You pay the core charge when you place your order. If you return the old part to us, we refund the core charge.

To receive credit, cores (except for complete engines and transmissions) must be returned within six months of the date your order was placed. Complete engine and transmission cores must be returned within 60 days from the date your order is delivered.

Cores must be complete, rebuildable, fit the same vehicle application and be returned in the box the remanufactured part came in. This means the part you send back needs to have whatever components (like pulleys) came on the remanufactured part. The box helps identify the part and proves to the manufacturer that the core replaces one of their products. Obviously, the core won't be working well (or you wouldn't have replaced it) but it can't be smashed, rusted solid, or otherwise unusable. (We rarely reject a core. If the part came off a running vehicle and just wore out--no problem. But please don't send a part that's been soaking in junkyard mud for 5 years and expect to receive core credit!)

Shipping charges on cores aren't refundable. (Before sending back a core, you'll need to decide if the core deposit is worth the shipping cost.) As with any return, before returning a core you must obtain and follow return instructions from our Order Status & Returns page or via email.
Old 11-06-13, 05:37 PM
valex
Advanced

If you try adding one to the cart on Rockauto, this is the message you get:

When cores are in short supply, it's difficult to keep remanufactured items in stock. "Return and Rebuild Service Only" means we don't have an already-rebuilt part to send you; you must send your old part to be rebuilt and then returned to you.

When you order an R&R part, we'll collect your payment and send you instructions via email explaining where to send your old part. You'll need to pay a carrier like UPS or FedEx to ship it to the manufacturer (see table below for locations). The cost of shipping it back to you is included in your order total. Core charges do not apply to R&R parts (if a core charge was applied to your order, it will be refunded when the R&R instructions are sent). If your old part cannot be remanufactured, it will be returned to you and your payment will be refunded, except for any testing/handling fee charged by the manufacturer (see table below).

Rebuild times vary depending on the part and company. These times do not include shipping time to and from the manufacturer:
Old 11-06-13, 06:59 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

or just find a local CV axle place to rebuild it for you for cheap
Old 11-06-13, 08:44 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

If you try adding one to the cart on Rockauto, this is the message you get:
have you checked the price at autozone, advance, and o'reilly? - they may well not require your core in advance, they may have the part in stock or surely they can throw it on the overnight truck

sometimes one or all of them are practically at the rockauto price, and advance is always running crazy online promotions like spend $100, get the next $30 free or something
Old 11-07-13, 05:22 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

we sell these boots at work and a few shops have this tool to put them on
Old 11-09-13, 07:27 AM
valex
Advanced

OK, I replaced that Half Axle and noticed the diff. is a little wet on that left side. Perhaps i should have replaced the seal too. Is replacing the seal always recommended? What is the part # for it. I have a 99 LS
Old 11-10-13, 11:13 AM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by nthach
Remove ALL wheel end/brake components off the axle carrier, use a BFH to pop the upper control arm off. Pop off the lower control arm, stabilizer bar link, and the trailing arm. Take off the axle carrier.
Remove the right muffler
This seems crazy to me. I have a '92 LS400
a) remove inner CV joint bolts after match-marking*
( * use PAINT** do not center punch - you can distort the CV joint outer race very easily)
b) remove axle nut
c) slip right rear muffler off rubber hangers and suspend with a coat hanger (it only needs to drop a bit)
d) tap stub axle inboard and yer done.

Colin
Old 11-10-13, 09:52 PM
valex
Advanced

Yes, I removed all suspension arms, knuckle, upper control arm... It was a lot of work... Will try it your way next time.
Old 11-10-13, 11:33 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

I like replacing complete axles (half-shafts), rather than just boots, because the rebuilding facility has large specialized equipment to do this as a process which seems to have good results. Many kits designed for DIY such as a split boot, for example, are inherently a flawed design compared to the way the original CV joint/boot was assembled.