LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

check out this LS400 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-10, 07:52 AM
azryno
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they are BBS wheels, they are 15inch though. i thought about going up to a 17 but i just stayed with the 15's.
Old 07-14-10, 08:54 AM
488civ10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice score! mine is the same color. shape and color seems to have stood the test of time quite well. looks a helluva lot more contemporary out on the road than its competitors back from the early 90s. and those rims are tight!

do you have prior service records? anything major done? for me, at 176k, i had a new starter motor put in, engine mounts, rack and pinion, valve cover and intake manifold gaskets, dist, rotors, steering stabilizer, rear main seal, trans pan gasket, etc. a/c went out at 150k before as well, and paid out for some suspension work at 145k. it's got a weird intermittent engine stalling/ choking problem currently that is baffling. i should prob start a new post on that... as problems mount and the repair bills compound, i'm starting to wonder if my beloved '91 LS's days are numbered. my parents were the original owners, and i remember my friends and i being shuttled to high school in it. i don't want to see it go, but these days, my time is worth more, and a new car means much less headaches.
Old 07-14-10, 09:34 AM
azryno
Driver School Candidate

so far so good, i did look up the records at Lexus.com and everything seems to be in good order. the car sat for a number of years in the previous owners garage, so i do expept a few things to pop up. I did have a problem with the AC the other day, but i took it in a had the freon refilled, so i would imagine i have a slow leak somewhere. a lexus garage wanted me to put in about 1100.00 worth of work in it, so i took it to a friend of mine that works on german cars and he hooked the ac unit up and it seem to hold pressure so he just added Freeze 12. blows out 40 degrees. i have also been trying to get the remote on the key to lock'unlock the doors, but i can't seem to get that to work, i bought a cpu that goes in the trunk behind the antenna, but that didn's seem to work, so i will keep exploring. then i put new brakes on. other than that mostly just a good clean. i really don't want to put alot of money in it as i am using it as a daily driver, i also have a truck that i drive on the weekends.
Old 07-14-10, 12:01 PM
LS400GT500
Rookie

Originally Posted by 488civ10
very nice score! mine is the same color. shape and color seems to have stood the test of time quite well. looks a helluva lot more contemporary out on the road than its competitors back from the early 90s. and those rims are tight!

do you have prior service records? anything major done? for me, at 176k, i had a new starter motor put in, engine mounts, rack and pinion, valve cover and intake manifold gaskets, dist, rotors, steering stabilizer, rear main seal, trans pan gasket, etc. a/c went out at 150k before as well, and paid out for some suspension work at 145k. it's got a weird intermittent engine stalling/ choking problem currently that is baffling. i should prob start a new post on that... as problems mount and the repair bills compound, i'm starting to wonder if my beloved '91 LS's days are numbered. my parents were the original owners, and i remember my friends and i being shuttled to high school in it. i don't want to see it go, but these days, my time is worth more, and a new car means much less headaches.
A lot of people I have been hearing about have this dilemma as a first time Lexus owner I know some experience isn't there about these cars but I have a lot of car experience. For the money the 95-00 LS400's are just about the best car you can buy on the market as long as it's been taken care of. I'm not saying get a new car but you can't deny that you can get a late 90's LS400 for a great price and still have many years left! Just something to consider
Old 07-14-10, 12:02 PM
LS400GT500
Rookie

Originally Posted by azryno
so far so good, i did look up the records at Lexus.com and everything seems to be in good order. the car sat for a number of years in the previous owners garage, so i do expept a few things to pop up. I did have a problem with the AC the other day, but i took it in a had the freon refilled, so i would imagine i have a slow leak somewhere. a lexus garage wanted me to put in about 1100.00 worth of work in it, so i took it to a friend of mine that works on german cars and he hooked the ac unit up and it seem to hold pressure so he just added Freeze 12. blows out 40 degrees. i have also been trying to get the remote on the key to lock'unlock the doors, but i can't seem to get that to work, i bought a cpu that goes in the trunk behind the antenna, but that didn's seem to work, so i will keep exploring. then i put new brakes on. other than that mostly just a good clean. i really don't want to put alot of money in it as i am using it as a daily driver, i also have a truck that i drive on the weekends.
As long as CARFAX and LEXUS.com is good then you shouldn't have any problems. It might seem silly but did you check the battery in the remote?
Old 07-14-10, 12:07 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Once I ran into a 1st gen LS400 with cloth seats and no sunroof. The seller said that it was ordered for someone in Arizona. The extreme heat would make leather seats very uncomfortable, and the sunroof is just not necessary in that climate.
Wish my 2nd gen LS was like that!
Old 07-14-10, 03:01 PM
488civ10
Driver School Candidate

the cloth has been amazing, and even the places where you'd expect the heaviest wear on the driver's seat is holding up really well. the only trouble spot is the armrest, and even that looks good enough that i won't be looking for a solution any time soon. everywhere else, the cloth is just great. now that it's finally getting hot in socal, every now and then, i pretend i'm back in high school and roll with my shirt off and the windows down. doesn't work at all in my other cars that have leather interiors, it'd be pretty nasty.

oh, and in an unrelated story, i found myself lined up next to a brand new MBZ C300 Sport a few days ago with 3 youngsters in the car. the light turned green and i noticed the C300 squat suddenly and lurch forward. i figured, oh what the hell, and slammed my pedal until it pushed the button at the end of the floor. by 40, the gap stopped growing, by 60 i was making up ground and by 80 i had edged ahead. sorry boys, even with a headstart, you can't get away from the 20 year old silver cruise missile! naturally, at the next stoplight, none of them looked over, so i proceeded to go grocery shopping at trader joe's

Originally Posted by Thermactor
Once I ran into a 1st gen LS400 with cloth seats and no sunroof. The seller said that it was ordered for someone in Arizona. The extreme heat would make leather seats very uncomfortable, and the sunroof is just not necessary in that climate.
Wish my 2nd gen LS was like that!
Old 07-15-10, 07:58 AM
pbdolch
Driver School Candidate

Nice Job! Welcome to CL....
Old 07-18-10, 10:56 AM
lev00221
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice car! Did you check the switch to the left of the steering wheel that turns on/off the remote locking? It very easy to inadvertently hit it with your knee rendering your key remote useless. Just a thought.........