LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

98 LS400 "CHECK VSC"---40k Miles

Old 03-18-12, 09:42 AM
Kaiyin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

doing a bit of digging here...

this just happened to my LS last night driving home from work. Instrument panel flashed "CHECK VSC" and the VSC OFF light was on, but also my ABS light came on. Got home and checked for any codes and none were found. Anybody have any advice before I bring it to the shop?
Old 03-18-12, 12:07 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

check the battery.
Old 03-18-12, 08:36 PM
Kaiyin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
check the battery.
I will probably still do that.

Weird thing though...when I started my car this morning to go to work, the CHECK VSC light was still there and my ABS light. As I was driving to work, they went away and have stayed off all day.
Old 09-04-12, 07:58 PM
Kaiyin
Pole Position

BUMP!

Check VSC flashed, Headlight Leveling flashed, VSC OFF light on and ABS light is on. I'll still have the battery and alternator checked

BUT

can these lights and indications be caused from the car simply being too low? The manual said that "improper" tire sizes and such could cause the VSC to malfunction (I have lots of stretch, and lots of camber).

Just trying to trouble shoot myself before I bring it to the dealer so they can shut those lights off they bug me.
Old 09-04-12, 08:00 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

may cause VSC calibration issues if the front/rear or cross-axle tire diameter difference is too great, but i doubt that's your issue given the levelling issue.
Old 09-04-12, 08:29 PM
Kaiyin
Pole Position

may cause VSC calibration issues if the front/rear or cross-axle tire diameter difference is too great, but i doubt that's your issue given the levelling issue.
I have scrubbed the wire harnesses a bit even though they have been tucked up to the frame rails :X thinking I just have to run them in the bay now =(
Old 09-05-12, 12:59 AM
whit3b0y
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kaiyin
BUMP!

Check VSC flashed, Headlight Leveling flashed, VSC OFF light on and ABS light is on. I'll still have the battery and alternator checked

BUT

can these lights and indications be caused from the car simply being too low? The manual said that "improper" tire sizes and such could cause the VSC to malfunction (I have lots of stretch, and lots of camber).

Just trying to trouble shoot myself before I bring it to the dealer so they can shut those lights off they bug me.
def signs of bat/alt. battery is not charging, is not able to pull enough power to level the headlights. VSC OFF does not save enough power to do really much of anything.
The manuel does say improper size can cause malfuntion I have 235/35r19s and the only malfuntion I have encountered was from pillow ball mounts going through the top hat, resulting in an unstable strut.
Old 09-05-12, 04:58 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Yup this thread looks familiar, on my 2000LS400 i had only 61k on it and had the same symptoms as you did,(vsc light was on)Turns out the yaw rate sensor had failed on me, replaced it and everything was back to normal, the cost with labor and parts was under 200$.
Old 09-05-12, 09:40 PM
Kaiyin
Pole Position

battery and alternator check out

time to check to see if I've shredded through any more of the wiring in the wheel wells =P
Old 09-05-12, 11:54 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

you havent relocated yet?

I got mad at mine and pulled it in through the engine bay, over the shock tower, to the fuse box.

Only had to extend the turn signal and washer wires. no other cutting needed lol.
Old 09-06-12, 10:55 AM
Kaiyin
Pole Position

you havent relocated yet?

I got mad at mine and pulled it in through the engine bay, over the shock tower, to the fuse box.

Only had to extend the turn signal and washer wires. no other cutting needed lol.
I relocated the driver's side to the top of the frame rail. The only place that rubs (and it's very slight) is where it comes out of the cabin and it only does it at full lock.

I haven't touched the passenger side, but I will do it this weekend. I just didn't want to clutter the engine bay with wires =(
Old 09-08-12, 09:04 AM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well here's my story with the VSC. Mine used to shake like there was a loose plug or clog somewhere upon idle, couldn't figure out what the deal was. I thought I had an air intake problem because of a crack in the intake tube, fixed that problem resurfaced. So I did a little more digging, cleaning the air intake sensor with some carb cleaner, still same problem. Dug some more finding out oil leaked on one of the plugs and of course the coil pack was filled with oil. Cleaned everything off, I haven't had the problem since and I'm talking months now. However; I do have to have change my valve cover gaskets that caused this.
Old 09-08-12, 01:12 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Lexozz
Well here's my story with the VSC. Mine used to shake like there was a loose plug or clog somewhere upon idle, couldn't figure out what the deal was. I thought I had an air intake problem because of a crack in the intake tube, fixed that problem resurfaced. So I did a little more digging, cleaning the air intake sensor with some carb cleaner, still same problem. Dug some more finding out oil leaked on one of the plugs and of course the coil pack was filled with oil. Cleaned everything off, I haven't had the problem since and I'm talking months now. However; I do have to have change my valve cover gaskets that caused this.
VCG won't cause that. Leaking Spark Plug Seals do.
Old 09-08-12, 05:33 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VCG won't cause that. Leaking Spark Plug Seals do.
Now that I think about it makes alot more sense. Thanks!
Old 02-11-16, 05:25 PM
Yoshi323
Driver School Candidate

Hi! Since June 2015 have a problem with my LS400 '1998.
When I turn the ignition key, before starting the engine a red light and Check VSC / VSC failure appear on my dashboard (+sound) and disappear after 1-3 seconds. I changed the ECU. Car drives normally but 2 times the engine stopped automatically at red lights. I checked the IAC - mechanic says, that in my 98'LS there's no IAC, just an electronic throttle. So the throttle was cleaned and works normally, but the red light and message still appear 1 on 10 startings.
It never happened while driving.
The battery starts the engine at -20C so the battery is OK. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Yoshi323; 02-11-16 at 05:28 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 LS400 "CHECK VSC"---40k Miles