LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Want to get my first LS 400. Which year/options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-10, 09:19 PM
Lolvolvo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Want to get my first LS 400. Which year/options?

Hi! I'm new here but my Volvo is near death with a bad transmission and 183,000 miles. I've been looking into replacement cars and the LS 400 looks like a great option seeing as there are 19 of them in my area for <$7000 and they've won all sorts of awards for reliability.
I've been a Volvo enthusiast for long enough to know what the best years to get were and I can only assume that there were "golden year(s)" for the LS 400. As I research, what year should I steer toward (no pun intended )? Also are there options or mileage that I should be looking out for? Idk if this question gets asked much here, so if it does could somebody post a link to a similar thread?
Thanks!
Old 06-28-10, 07:16 AM
turboomni
Driver School Candidate

There are many experts here that know much than I since I just bought my first LS400 about a month ago. I'm sure they will chime in.
I have heard that the 2nd generation 95 to 2000 I think maybe a better bet because lots of little things were worked out. If I knew then what I know now I would try and get a 99 as it has variable valve timing and a 5 speed auto trans so it has abit more poop off the line. But I love my 97 in all respects. The big theme I hear over and over again in buying one of these is Timing belt, water pump replacement history as this is an expensive job if you dont do it yourself. If it breaks you may bend valves depending who you believe if it is in fact an interferience engine or not.
I just sold my 1992 Volvo 240 station wagon. Still ran great at 190,000 miles.
since there are so many for sale in your area make it a point to get one with the best documented repair/maintenence history. Mine was service at a Lexus dealership and I have all records done since she was born. After looking at the service history and driving her around,,,,i bought it.
lexls.com has lots of info on each year as it came from the factory.
Take your time.
Good Luck!!

Last edited by turboomni; 06-28-10 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-28-10, 09:15 AM
Alyssasdad
Driver School Candidate

Ive been researching these cars the last 3 months reading reviews from professionals and regular joes- the 98-00 ls400 seems best bang for buck. I just bought a 98 and its love at first drive- it handles surprisingly well for a big car and I feel I can beat anybody in a race (just my opinion) but overall there good cars. It breaks well and is comfortable- feels like you are driving from your couch
Old 06-28-10, 09:48 AM
7schulz
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 98-00 have VV-ti so that gets you an extra 30 hp with the same mileage, top end of price for LS400. 95-97 are great years but look out for the 95 as it can have a bad ecu program. This was my price range. I fixed mine and it's a great car. The 94's have a few up grades over the other years earlier. Larger brakes to be one of them.
Old 06-28-10, 01:49 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

well, I have had 8 LS's so far... I would shy away from the 90-94, too many little things to put up with.. 95-97 are built like a tank, I drive a 97 with 248k on it, the 98-2000 are a much "nicer" car and a pleasure to drive, I have a 99 my wife drives. but I "feel like" the 98-2000 are a little bit more "fragile" than the 95-97's. and I think the 95's had a few issues that the 96&7's didnt.
now you have all my experience in a nut shell..

any of them is an improvement on a volvo
Old 06-28-10, 03:16 PM
smbundy13
Driver School Candidate

you're a bit far from me but i have a 99 ls400 for sale. I am in Alabama.
Has new timing belt, water pump. 190k miles.
I am asking $5,800

if you want to know more let me know.

emailing me gets a faster reply. smbundy13@gmail.com
Old 06-28-10, 04:27 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

What is your budget?

Given the years and miles accumulating on these, consider the 98+ minimal. There are posts here with recent buys so you have an idea what can be found for the price.

The LS 430's 01+ will provide a wealth of choices in varying conditions and offer improved safety specs.
Old 06-28-10, 04:32 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Originally Posted by billydpowe
well, I have had 8 LS's so far... I would shy away from the 90-94, too many little things to put up with.. 95-97 are built like a tank, I drive a 97 with 248k on it, the 98-2000 are a much "nicer" car and a pleasure to drive, I have a 99 my wife drives. but I "feel like" the 98-2000 are a little bit more "fragile" than the 95-97's. and I think the 95's had a few issues that the 96&7's didnt.
now you have all my experience in a nut shell..

any of them is an improvement on a volvo
on the contrary the 90-94 is built like a tank, if you get one with higher miles all the things have been repaired such as the leaky power steering pump on the alternater. My future car is the 98-00 lexus though, the first gens are more reliable though, but i believe the 98-00 to be a nicer vehicle, mostly because of less miles and it being newer, but i just dont have the money (student). If you want a first gen for cheap go with the 93 as it has auto lights, auto wipers, wider tires and bigger brake rotors. I have a 92 mainly because the ls400 is hard to find in general, and people want too much money for junk, it was a deal i couldnt pass up.
Old 06-28-10, 06:47 PM
Lolvolvo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RA40
What is your budget?

Given the years and miles accumulating on these, consider the 98+ minimal. There are posts here with recent buys so you have an idea what can be found for the price.

The LS 430's 01+ will provide a wealth of choices in varying conditions and offer improved safety specs.
Thanks for the info everybody. This has been very helpful.

The budget is unknown, but cheaper is better and probably nothing over 6k. I'm a student and I'm not allowed to take a car to college for the first year (next year). When my older sister finished her first year of college she got a different car which cost about 5-6k after it was fixed (problematic volvo). I'm hoping I get the same deal. My family owns a Lexus dealership and repair shop so we have access to all the tools and labor for free. That way it's not a huge deal if the car needs a little bit of mechanical work done. All it costs is parts and my weekend. Also if I do get one, it will probably be acquired wholesale.

When it comes down to it, power isn't a priority. I already burned off my "need for speed." I just want something reliable and respectable.
Old 06-28-10, 08:40 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Whatever you buy just look it over carefully. It can be junk or a gem. I saw a 90 near my home with 180k for one grand. Looked decent but you never know what you gonna get so check it out. Newer is nicer by far but the oldies are nice too.
Old 06-28-10, 11:52 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by kuziwk
on the contrary the 90-94 is built like a tank, if you get one with higher miles all the things have been repaired such as the leaky power steering pump on the alternater. My future car is the 98-00 lexus though, the first gens are more reliable though, but i believe the 98-00 to be a nicer vehicle, mostly because of less miles and it being newer, but i just dont have the money (student). If you want a first gen for cheap go with the 93 as it has auto lights, auto wipers, wider tires and bigger brake rotors. I have a 92 mainly because the ls400 is hard to find in general, and people want too much money for junk, it was a deal i couldnt pass up.
how exactly are the 98-00 less reliable than the first gens???
Old 06-29-10, 12:06 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Mechanical items wear, that is the progression regardless. If the car is well maintained, it helps. Just look at the recent threads posted here...many are for repair issues. The cars are getting old and parts are worn-breaking. This isn't like the 430 or 460 forums where the talk centers mostly on mods and warranty issues....as in newer car less problems.

The odds of getting a well maintained first gen are decreasing as are the second gens. Shop very carefully if looking at 1-LS's. The odds are you may get a low initial purchase but find many parts need service and that is a deal breaker.
Old 06-29-10, 03:15 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
how exactly are the 98-00 less reliable than the first gens???
look up reviews, plus competition now has to keep the cost's down so the early ones i believe were made to last longer. In the early 90's, Mercedes and BMW were not known for reliability which is why lexus set out to create a world class car. Toyota now has some competition, for example their trucks used C frames instead of a full frame (cheap, to keep costs down). Personally though, i want the 98-00 version as its more up to date with the looks and more power which is prob not as reliable but i could be wrong. people call my car a grandpa car i think mostly because the stock rims are pathetic and i need window tint. Either way you will have a very hard time finding a 98-00 under 6 gran. The only reason i got my 92 is because it was cheap, and i didnt know what i was getting into so it was an entry into lexus. Also think of it this way, the more electronic stuff the car has, the more possibility's it has to break.
Old 06-29-10, 03:40 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

the 98-00 as a whole is actually just as or more reliable than its preceding models.
Old 06-29-10, 04:28 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
the 98-00 as a whole is actually just as or more reliable than its preceding models.
this was based on speculation and some reviews not from personal experience so im not sure how reliable they are, but honestly it doesn't matter what you drive, if you don't maintain it, there will be problems.

Quick Reply: Want to get my first LS 400. Which year/options?