LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Door Won't Open..!!! HELP!!! 1990 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-10, 11:26 AM
ken33
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Duece you get that lexus door fixed yet....
Old 11-19-10, 07:59 PM
ls400King
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 93 with the same issue. I took the trim off. Then opened the inside door handle. THis moves the assemply away from the lock so you can see the broken spring. I had a hell of a time moving back the plastic cover so took a big drill and killed it! Now I can see everything. I still can't push or pull the magic lever. I tried for at least an hour and know that my assembly does not look like the 90's. Of course I could be wrong.

I do see the contraption between the front door handle and the little metal piece. I suspect this was part of the spring assembly? Any guidance apprecaited...
Old 11-23-10, 07:49 AM
ls400King
Driver School Candidate

What a pain in the butt! Thank you for the outline. The spring was broken and I got a similar one. The challenge was getting the door open after opening/moving the plastic cover. I got my revenge when I drilled and tore it up...

Once that cover is removed or moved then get the door open. Follow the above directions and it can be done. For sure if I can do it then you can. Of course it did take me a total of 4 hours. Most was just wasted with me trying to get things open with the wrong tools.
Old 06-29-11, 03:39 PM
teams01
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ken33
I will try to post pics not any good at it...FIRST OF ALL NEED TO GET DOOR OPEN i wedged open the top door panel with a long 3/8extension down in door because u have to bend back the plastic covers that cover the lock. looking down at cover from top go to far right side where the spring is it might still be hanging there loose because it will be broke .u will see it in pics.after u get the top cover folded back take a small wire like a coat hanger or smaller if poss. and push or pull the 2 places where the spring is suppose to be hooked on the latch and pull door handle on outside when u moved each one of those...it will come open. oh also wedge something in the inside door handle to keep it opened because if not pulled open ,its hard to get down to the latch where u need to go . so wedge open the inside door handle to open position and the top of door panel right above door lock in the corner. i took pic of door panel with my phone but dont know how to put them on here. when u get door open take door panel off.got to take out window chanel bar next to lock assemb there are 4 srews one at bottom and 3 behind the window molding,u will see where the chanel runs up,lower window down to pull the channel out sideway then straight up from inside door.unhook the latch rods at 3 locations, careful not to break the plastic locks, be easy they flip open.unhook 2 wire connectors there at bottom of door and pull latch out. replace spring in which u can get at ace hardware or go to lexus. u need to take plastic cover off..i left mine off for next time it happens. Now put it all back in..it goes back in alot quicker than it came out. if you need more help send me a private mess with phone number and i will call you...I cant get these pics to loads can anybody tell me how to upload to this site Thanks hopes this helps...
My 93 LS400 is at the shop now and my mechanic can't seem to open the panel with the door closed. Please help!
Old 02-17-12, 07:59 AM
Havox
Driver School Candidate

I have this same problem with my '90 ls 400 and could someone elaborate as to what I should be poking at in the picture.
Old 02-19-12, 08:06 AM
davispb
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem in my '92, except that the issue was not with a spring, but rather a small plastic clip that holds two of the rods together. I cannot help with getting the door open, but I can illustrate the problem with one of op's pics that might hopefully help someone one day.

The part # is 69293-12060 and cost me $13 from the stealership. Clip is circled in photo:
Attached Thumbnails Door Won't Open..!!! HELP!!! 1990 LS400-lexus-door.jpg