LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

'99 LS400 Radio Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-10, 10:31 AM
ls400AC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 LS400 Radio Removal

Getting ready to change out the AC Control Panel on the dash of this '99 LS400.

Looks like I "work my way up to it"....remove console woodgrain, remove radio and then I'll have access to the AC Control Panel.

QUESTION: Radio says it has "Anti-Theft System" (or something similar printed on the cassette tape door of the radio....it's the original/factory unit).

Any tips/secrets to avoid problems?? Or...just unplug battery while removing??

Thanks
Old 06-26-10, 07:06 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

I'm tempted to tell you to do a search of past threads since your question has been asked and answered many times.

I have no idea what the "Theft Deterrent Design" on the cassette tape door means. I've removed the radio in my similar 2000 LS400, sent it out for repair, and reinstalled it with no problems. I don't think there are are any security codes -- none are mentioned in the owners manual like there was for my 90 LS.

I've never bothered to disconnect the battery before removing the radio but that is probably a good idea.

EDIT 10/20/2002: There are small clips on each outer side of the center vents that you should be able to see if you shine a flashlight into the vents. Stick a very small blade screw driver through the vent slats and pull each clip inward towards the center. The center vent assembly will easily slide right out although it may take a tiny bit of GENTLE prying with a plastic trim removal tool. Do it this way and the vent assembly "should" not fall apart. Thank forum member Billypowel for this information.

Disconnect the seat heater, VSC and ashtray connections as you remove the wood console garnish.

Lay a towel on the center console to prevent scratching before you pull out the radio/HVAC controls.

Remove the lower two 10 mm bolts that hold the radio/HVAC control assembly in place and then the upper two 10 mm bolts.

Pull the radio/HVAC control assembly out of the center stack far enough to unplug all the connectors.

Carefully pull the radio/HVAC control assembly completely out of the center stack and take the assembly to a workbench to separate the HVAC control portion of the assembly from the radio.

Mainly, be very careful to prevent scratching the front of the HVAC control and radio assemblies.

Warning: when removing the center vents be gentle but firm. They break easily and cost hundreds $$$ to replace. If they fall apart (mine always do), keep track of all the parts so you can put the vent assembly back together.

Last edited by Kansas; 10-20-12 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-27-10, 10:34 AM
ls400AC
Driver School Candidate

Jim---Excellent. Thank you very much for the clear, step-by-step answer and your time in laying it all out so clearly.

Maybe the "theft deterrent system" is the bolts hidden behind the console woodgrain....the thief will get frustrated (but not deterred) and end up smashing the unit when they can't get it out. Of course, while an outright theft was theoretically "deterred" you still end up with a ruined stereo and Lexus gets to sell you another one!!

Again, thanks for the guidance....I'll take it easy on the AC vents.

Patton
Old 06-27-10, 01:43 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

I left out a very important step ... either turn off the engine while the gear selector is in the lowest gear or depress the shift lock override button to pull the gear shift lever all the way back if the engine is off. Block the wheels for safety to keep the car from rolling.

The gear selector lever needs to be pulled all the way backward to make room for pulling the radio/HVAC control assembly out of the dash.
Old 07-02-10, 08:56 AM
Alan D
Driver

Originally Posted by Kansas

Warning: when removing the center vents be gentle but firm. They break easily and cost hundreds $$$ to replace. If they fall apart (mine always do), keep track of all the parts so you can put the vent assembly back together.
I took out my radio to connect a Siruis antenna FM module and those vents were a pain. They fall apart and then don't want to stay together when you try to reinstall them. I ended up putting super glue on the piece that holds them together if I remember right. That allowed me to reinstall them and they are working fine 3 years later.
Old 07-02-10, 01:19 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

YEP!!! mine fell apart too, but I/we found all the parts and I got them together as a unit... and they will stay together.. NOW there are two "hidden clips" just inside the loovers on the out board side of each.. if you pull these clips toward the center, to release them, the vent will come out without falling apart.. but just in case watch, WATCH, for falling parts, they are black and blend in with everything..

good luck, you can do it... and we can help... smile smile..