LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

95 LS: (I have searched) Questions about HID kits

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-10, 11:31 AM
renato902
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 LS: (I have searched) Questions about HID kits

Hello,

I am looking to buy 6000k HID kit for my low beams. I've seen this kit and color temp. on my friends Soarer and his brother's 9th gen Corolla and it looks very close to white with an extremely slight tint of blue (very similar to a fluorescent neon tube) and it actually improves visibility quite a bit. Before I bite the bullet and buy the kit for my car, I have a few questions;

Question #1: Would a 6000k (or any color temp. for that matter) HID kit emit excessive glare with 95 LS headlights ?

Question #2: You know when we lock our cars and engage the security system the lights blink twice, right ? What would happen when I would install a HID kit, would it blink anyway (don't know if this would harm the ballasts ) ?

Any feedback and opinions are welcome about HID kits and maybe even suggestions for which one I could go for

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-24-10, 12:27 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

1-yes it will glare, best route is clear headlights (ebay) + a projector retrofit, second best is clear headlights + hid kit with casper (glare) shields. most glare is a plug and play hid kit + stock headlights.

2-yes it will blink, no it shouldnt hurt any good balllast. that being said, my old 95 didnt flash the low beams, just the corner lights (turn signals)
Old 06-24-10, 12:28 PM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

You would have to get a bi xenon kit for your model which costs more than a standard single stage xenon kit unless you don't need your hi beams. To my knowledge the actual headlights don't blink but the blinkers so the lights will be fine.
Old 06-25-10, 10:22 AM
renato902
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
1-yes it will glare, best route is clear headlights (ebay) + a projector retrofit, second best is clear headlights + hid kit with casper (glare) shields. most glare is a plug and play hid kit + stock headlights.

2-yes it will blink, no it shouldnt hurt any good balllast. that being said, my old 95 didnt flash the low beams, just the corner lights (turn signals)
Can you point me to these clear headlights, I cannot seem to find them? And yes, my car flashes its low beams and indicators alike, it even flashes the fogs if they're switched on prior to shutting the car down. Also, while we're on the subject, what kind of lights (bulbs) do the corner lights (one's beside the main headlight unit) take? I would like to swap them out for LED bulbs.
Old 06-25-10, 01:05 PM
tchdwnuga
Driver School Candidate

You would definately need a retrofit of some type. Last week in Panama City Beach I saw a 96 LS400 with 6k HIDs in the factory fluted lenses and it glared horribly, and it just looked cheesy.

Kyle
Old 06-25-10, 03:16 PM
tipsofme
Driver School Candidate

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-94...Q5fAccessories
Old 06-25-10, 05:49 PM
renato902
Pole Position

Those are for the 1LS buddy
Old 06-26-10, 05:07 PM
kuziwk
Driver

those would look good though on my car, heavy price though. I was also looking at the hid kits, so your saying the kits look bad with the stock headlights?
Old 06-26-10, 05:23 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

they work perfectly with my JDM headlights..cutoff is good and glare is minimal with proper leveling.
Old 06-26-10, 07:55 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

they will glare heavily with OEM usdm housings.

for the '95 jdm isnt really any better than usdm, so you're stuck looking for a clear set.
Old 06-27-10, 06:11 AM
SRV1
Driver

When I set my alarm, the headlights flash on my 96 LS4.
Old 06-27-10, 07:53 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

mine too..and that kills HIDs.
Old 06-27-10, 10:40 PM
Lolvolvo
Driver School Candidate

You need to check out DDM Tuning. They're a very reliable tuning company with great HID kits. I personally have installed on of their kits on my Volvo and quality was evident throughout. I've had them for about a year now without any problems They are affordable, but not crappy. Replacement bulbs are $15 for a pair so you might as well stock up on a few color temps Also, DDM's ballasts are digital so they're small and easy to install. Here's a link:
DDM Tuning HID Kits

As far as the blinking on lock goes, I've read that it is best to let HID's run for a minimum of 10 seconds. Idk what would break, but I know on other cars the lock blink can be turned on or off if you have the right computer or an in with a dealer.
Old 06-27-10, 11:28 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

ive had a few friends with DDM lose both ballasts and bulbs. not a huge fan.

2 forum sponsors i've used:
cheap as hell: HIDXtra, running on one of our cars, only had a couple months but no issues yet.
Slightly more expensive: Xenondepot Volt, had it on my LS (fogs) for the past 2.5 years and i love it. never any issues,.
Old 06-28-10, 12:34 PM
renato902
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
ive had a few friends with DDM lose both ballasts and bulbs. not a huge fan.

2 forum sponsors i've used:
cheap as hell: HIDXtra, running on one of our cars, only had a couple months but no issues yet.
Slightly more expensive: Xenondepot Volt, had it on my LS (fogs) for the past 2.5 years and i love it. never any issues,.
Do you think it's possible to correct glare by re-aiming the light path ?

Quick Reply: 95 LS: (I have searched) Questions about HID kits