LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Allow Me To Introduce Myself...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-10, 05:59 AM
1DIRTY1LS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allow Me To Introduce Myself...

Hello all, I am a new Lexus owner and I wanted to introduce myself.

Me:
So my name is Kevin, and I'm a detailer which is part of the irony behind my name "1DIRTY1LS". It's 1 Dirty (ironic because I clean cars for a living) and 1 LS (because I have a 1st gen LS400). Aren't I clever? Haha. I'm an avid tuner and I have plenty of knowledge under my belt in all things automotive, especially if it has anything to do with a Honda. I've built two of my own and numerous others for friends and acquaintances. I've also built Nissans as well. I'm a huge sport compact fanatic and I have been for years. I've owned quite a few cars but have had three major completed projects in the past including:

Projects:
1st Car) 1991 Honda Accord DX Coupe w/ JDM H22A swap and lots more. (SOLD)
2nd Car) 1991 Infiniti G20 w/ SR20DET swap running 18 PSI, etc. (SOLD)

3rd Car) And Dearest Project) 1992 Honda Accord EX converted to 2.0Si w/ JDM F20A DOHC engine swap and JDM MP6A transmission swap, Bisimoto head, ZEX 75 shot, etc. etc. etc. (TOTALED )
This car was my latest and most beloved project. It has numerous suspension upgrades including TEIN S-Tech springs on KYB GR-2s, and more. The full Accord 2.0Si swap was done beautifully and by the book. Polyurethane motor mounts, EGR block off, balance shaft belt delete, blah blah blah. I could go on forever about this car but I won't write a book. It was an amazingly well done vehicle and I did all of the work myself. 2 weeks after the engine/transmission build and swap were completed a woman hit me at an intersection and totaled the car out. The swap only had 350 miles on it roughly. After I invested a total of $14,000 into this car it was ruined before I could get used to enjoying it. It's a long sad story, oh well.

RIP:
The date on the pictures is wrong. They were taken about a month ago.

I miss herrr!

CLUB LEXUS helped me move on:
I've been browsing this forum for a while admiring a lot of the "VIP" style rides and I've been doing a lot of research on the LS400 and you guys got me convinced, so I went out and bought a 1991 Lexus LS400, a silver/light blue color, gray leather, and all those fancy luxuries a Lexus should have. Aside from some slight tears in the front leather seats, and the power steering issue these cars are notorious for, not to mention a few other small blemishes, it's a GREAT car and I am very happy with it.

Cleanliness is a virtue:

Why the upgrade?:
I heard these cars were bulletproof and could run forever, the 1UZFE makes a nice amount of power and I do love that V8 torque, and I've been looking at the VIP styling trend and it's really captured me, so I figured it's time to leave the sport compact scene and get myself a grown ups car. I've been browsing through a lot of the other LS models on here and I have to say I am impressed. These cars obviously have potential and I must say I've been inspired. Thank you Club Lexus for a push in a new direction.

The modifications:
So far it's pretty much all stock. I managed to custom fabricate a bracket so I could install a large Spectre cone filter. It gives the car a little more of a mean sound. The only other upgrades to the car include blue LEDs in the dome light, an ALPINE stereo, TomTom GPS, and a Cobra radar detector.

Future Plans:
I'll be grabbing a nice new set of lower offset 18" rims for the LS within the next couple weeks. Then I'm aiming for a nice set of coilovers so I can drop it low. I'm liking the K Sport Kontrol coilovers with the adjustable camber option from the top of the strut tower. After that it's on to a custom exhaust setup, then to top it all off I'll hit the body shop for all the body work to get taken care of and the car will be sprayed gloss black. Maybe I'll grab a few other little goodiez along the way.

Thanks again Club Lexus:
Well, I've always been known out here for doing big things when it comes to my cars, so it shouldn't take long for me to impress you guys. I've been doing a TON of research and I'm still in the process of learning so I can't wait to become more active in the forum and gain some knowledge from the OGs that've been doing it up on here since the beginning. I'm looking forward to my experience here and I hope that you will all accept me into your community with open arms. Thanks again everybody at Club Lexus.
Old 06-20-10, 06:14 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

welcome, any coilovers for the LS does not have camber adjustments on the fronts.

check the classifieds, i have a friend selling Megan coilovers which ride alot better than the k sports.
Old 06-20-10, 09:02 AM
20sburning
Driver

Welcome! And Megan's are the way to go
Old 06-20-10, 12:02 PM
1DIRTY1LS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
welcome, any coilovers for the LS does not have camber adjustments on the fronts.

check the classifieds, i have a friend selling Megan coilovers which ride alot better than the k sports.
Originally Posted by 20sburning
Welcome! And Megan's are the way to go
Alright guys, thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll look into the Megans then.

Quick question, what camber kit would you recommend front and rear if I'm dropping it on 18"x8" rims with 40 series tires and a really aggressive drop. I wanna get the car as close to the ground as possible without rubbing. Would just any old camber kit off ebay work? Also what tire width would you suggest for 18"x8" rims? I don't want any nasty stretched tire or anything, I just want it to be as functional as possible. TIA.
Old 06-20-10, 12:33 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the club bro. Once you go L, you'll never go back.
Old 06-20-10, 12:57 PM
1DIRTY1LS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexozz
Welcome to the club bro. Once you go L, you'll never go back.
Haha thanks man. I'm loving the LS quite a bit so far.
Old 06-20-10, 01:01 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1DIRTY1LS
Alright guys, thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll look into the Megans then.

Quick question, what camber kit would you recommend front and rear if I'm dropping it on 18"x8" rims with 40 series tires and a really aggressive drop. I wanna get the car as close to the ground as possible without rubbing. Would just any old camber kit off ebay work? Also what tire width would you suggest for 18"x8" rims? I don't want any nasty stretched tire or anything, I just want it to be as functional as possible. TIA.
Welcome to CL - you need to read up. badly.

the LS is a double-wishbone/multilink car, so you dont need/cant use a "camber kit" since there is already some limited adjustment. the geometry precludes the use of any kind of wobble bolt/nut kit.

so you want the car to be "really aggressive and low" but not rub? pretty sure that you DONT want it that aggressive then, as the lower you go, regardless of tire choice, you are going to rub at lock. especially if you dont roll or cut your fenders (which you failed to mention).

so you want "low offset" 18s, but have no idea what width you want (which is fair, since you're asking us) but then tell us you DONT want a stretched tire

look, you can either have flush (low offset, decent/high width, stretched tire, AND rolled fender) or not (medium offset/width, normal tire, still probably need to roll the fender). you cant have BOTH also, figure out if you want staggered wheels or not, because obviously if you want/need to rotate tires then the staggered (and more common/popular setup) is out.

also, the spectre (really? it's like '03 all over again! with blue filters for everyone!) is going to filter less effectively than your stock filter, and will likely either hurt power, or provide a very very mild gain. i suspect the former because it sounds to me (please correct if i'm mistaken) that it's just pulling in hot air from the engine bay now. but if you want "sound" then i guess it's what you were looking for.

lastly, while that accord seems to be a solid car, i call shenanigans! 14large invested and no coils, high NA tune, or FI? am i missing something? did you gold plate the suspension?? regardless, sorry to hear about you losing it before you got to enjoy it.

sounds like you have an idea of what you want, but arent really sure what you plan to do with your car quite yet. i encourage you to use both this site and VipStyleCars.com to figure out what you want to do, TAKE YOUR TIME, SEARCH, and not rush into things. your car (and us!!) will thank you.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 06-20-10 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-20-10, 01:10 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

he comes off a little harsh but he speaks the truth. gotta sacrifice to get the good stuff.
Old 06-20-10, 01:35 PM
1DIRTY1LS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Welcome to CL - you need to read up. badly.

the LS is a double-wishbone/multilink car, so you dont need/cant use a "camber kit" since there is already some limited adjustment. the geometry precludes the use of any kind of wobble bolt/nut kit.

so you want the car to be "really aggressive and low" but not rub? pretty sure that you DONT want it that aggressive then, as the lower you go, regardless of tire choice, you are going to rub at lock. especially if you dont roll or cut your fenders (which you failed to mention).

so you want "low offset" 18s, but have no idea what width you want (which is fair, since you're asking us) but then tell us you DONT want a stretched tire

look, you can either have flush (low offset, decent/high width, stretched tire, AND rolled fender) or not (medium offset/width, normal tire, still probably need to roll the fender). you cant have BOTH also, figure out if you want staggered wheels or not, because obviously if you want/need to rotate tires then the staggered (and more common/popular setup) is out.

also, the spectre (really? it's like '03 all over again! with blue filters for everyone!) is going to filter less effectively than your stock filter, and will likely either hurt power, or provide a very very mild gain. i suspect the former because it sounds to me (please correct if i'm mistaken) that it's just pulling in hot air from the engine bay now. but if you want "sound" then i guess it's what you were looking for.

lastly, while that accord seems to be a solid car, i call shenanigans! 14large invested and no coils, high NA tune, or FI? am i missing something? did you gold plate the suspension?? regardless, sorry to hear about you losing it before you got to enjoy it.

sounds like you have an idea of what you want, but arent really sure what you plan to do with your car quite yet. i encourage you to use both this site, and VipStyleCars.com to figure out what you want to do, TAKE YOUR TIME, SEARCH, and not rush into things. your car (and us!!) will thank you.
Ok ok, now I have a much larger understanding of the suspension on these cars. Thanks for all the advice.

Now let me clear some things up. I guess I don't want the crazy aggressive drop I was thinking of. I want some 18" rims, with nicely fit low profile tires, and I want to drop the car enough to eliminate any wheel/fender gap.

And the Accord had a legit 14 grand into it. I had to pretty much restore the car before I started building it, which costed money. Did a few suspension modifications, TEIN springs, new KYB shocks, ingalls camber kit, strut bars, progress rear sway bar, etc. Then the car was swapped and both the JDM engine and JDM transmission were completely refreshed with all new seals, gaskets, hoses, vacuum lines, etc. the works. After that lets throw in the ported and polished head, Bisimoto camshafts, Bisi valves, valve springs, lifters, etc. On top of that there's the ZEX wet shot system. Then I tuned via piggy back system using an AEM FIC controller in which I was able to toggle between 2 settings, N/A and Nitrous. I actually towed the car from Michigan to Ohio and met with my dyno guy out there and had it tuned. I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting, including the aero/exterior parts. ****, my rear lip alone was 300 bucks used and broken in half, because it's discontinued and pretty damn rare.

Overall it was one bad **** daily driver. Now I'm sure you can see the 14 Gs surfacing now. Haha. That's not near everything done to it either. /\/\/\

I'm slowly but surely making my way into this LS scene. Something about these cars sittin low on a tasteful set of rims is just sexy.
Old 06-20-10, 02:03 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forums. I started out in the Honda camp ten years ago, but after a year I moved to the Toyota/Lexus big torquey RWD layout and have stayed there ever since.

If you're willing to listen to me, I'd go light on the cosmetic mods but go straight to forced induction.
Old 06-20-10, 02:07 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter

Hey dude... I have an APC filter on my car and it (along with my other intake modifications) adds at least sixty horsepower. I'm serious... check out my garage.

lol
Old 06-20-10, 08:56 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

I feel your joy. I too just got my first Lexus. Its a 92 about a month ago. Silver. Wasn't really looking for one but always wanted one. This place is a great resource for info. Doubt i will dress it up like most others just plan on leaving it close to stock. Have done minor upgrades. Speakers for one since all doors had been blown. Sub is in working order. Just waiting for my dash to return from BBReman. Well anyway its Great to have a LS.
Old 06-21-10, 06:42 AM
I'mStock
Pole Position

You seem to think very highly of yourself. Good luck with your new project.
Old 06-21-10, 09:57 AM
Asia-H.T.
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome! good luck with the LS. should be fun to see progress on it now and then
Old 06-21-10, 02:01 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont mind PD, he has his good and bad days. We are a bit snobby but only because our cars are built better and deserve as such.

Welcome to ClubLexus

Quick Reply: Allow Me To Introduce Myself...