LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

VSC and BRAKE problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-10, 12:58 AM
silos5
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VSC and BRAKE problem

HELLO!!

I have a problem with VSC light on the dash, a symbol with the car (sliding) comes on when I press gas, and brakes act weird: they work good, but when I´m braking and almost stopping, the pedal shakes and acts like an ABS (this happens only at about 5 mph speed), although I´m on absolutly dry surface.
Symbol with the car sliding (VSC) comes when I push gas, power gets cut. It doesnt happen all the time, mostly when I start driving from the full stop.
VCS light comes also. I tryed restarting it by disconnecting the battery and doint adjustment like its written in the manual. It helped, but not for long.

Didint have these problems before untill I did these things:
- I had to disconnect the batery
- I changed factory air susp to UAS. I didnt take the factory compressor fuse off yet.
- I changed many parts in the front suspension, I also took the front brake calipers off to get some parts changed.

When I press VSC OFF, car gets all the power, but the brakes still work wierd.

I searched for this and didnt find much.

PLEASE, HELP !!!
Old 06-16-10, 01:30 AM
killsnake
Driver School Candidate

Do you have any CEL's with the VSC? When you removed your suspension and brakes did you happen to kink any electrical wires?
Old 06-16-10, 01:54 AM
silos5
Driver

if CEL is Check Engune Light, then it never came on. As for wire, I was careful with that. I disconnected bolts from the knuckle so that the wire that runs there was free. Yes, I had disconnected the speed sensor.

by the way, the car is Ls400 UCF20, 1998
Old 06-16-10, 02:06 AM
killsnake
Driver School Candidate

Recheck connections, then look at sensor for any debris. Did you lower your vehicle or change the size of your wheels or tires? How are you on your brakes? you say brakes pulsate at 5 mph.
Old 06-16-10, 02:18 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

as weird as it sounds, check to make sure that the MAF is securely plugged in. then go back and find the ABS wheel sensor wire you damaged.
Old 06-16-10, 02:24 AM
silos5
Driver

When I took the sensor off, I covered the hole with a paper so dust doesnt get in. I did it on one side, may be other got dirty. I also noticed that in one hole there was some white thing (like some wax), in the other side there was nothing.

I didnt really lower my car. I have Universal Air now, but I drive at ~stock height. Wheels are stock 16´´. I did allighment last week, nothing really changed.

Yes, brake pedal shakes (just like ABS) at low speed, at about 5mph. At higher speeds it´s fine.
Old 06-16-10, 02:36 AM
silos5
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
as weird as it sounds, check to make sure that the MAF is securely plugged in. then go back and find the ABS wheel sensor wire you damaged.
I will check this MAF. Actually I had a car fully serviced (spark plugs, all filters and oils, alternator belt) just before I put UAS on the car. Maybe the machanic didnt put MAF correctly.

Last edited by silos5; 06-16-10 at 02:43 AM.
Old 06-16-10, 08:16 AM
silos5
Driver

I checked the MAF connector, it´s totally OK. I didnt open any screws because I´m afraid I will do some bad things there cleaning it.

I will check speed sensors tomorrow.

If anyone has any suggestions, let me know
Old 06-16-10, 11:45 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

pull up the codes, my vsc light was my "oil control valve", cleaned it, no more VSC light.
Attached Thumbnails VSC and BRAKE problem-ocv.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ocv.pdf (96.0 KB, 964 views)

Last edited by billydpowe; 06-16-10 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-16-10, 02:00 PM
killsnake
Driver School Candidate

silos5, did your wheel sensors pass the test?
Old 06-17-10, 09:58 AM
killsnake
Driver School Candidate

How would a VSC light come on with OCV code? I read the pdf you included, but maybe I passed the VSC disengaging portion on the article. Any assistance would be helpful.............
Old 06-17-10, 05:10 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by killsnake
How would a VSC light come on with OCV code? I read the pdf you included, but maybe I passed the VSC disengaging portion on the article. Any assistance would be helpful.............
the code was p1349 (at the beginning of the article) MANY many things turn on the VSC light, weak battery, loose gas cap, low brake fluid, so pull up the code, quit guessing.
Old 06-17-10, 06:17 PM
killsnake
Driver School Candidate

Wait a minute are you talking about CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. VSC is a vehicle skid control.............. keep up the good work Billy.......
Old 06-17-10, 08:09 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by killsnake
Wait a minute are you talking about CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. VSC is a vehicle skid control.............. keep up the good work Billy.......
yes... they were both on, and came on at the same time... and when I cleaned the ocv, both went out.. Lexus told me the VSC light is not only skid control, but any number of problems will activate it... sorry about the confusion, but VSC light covers several things...
Old 06-17-10, 11:38 PM
silos5
Driver

thanks guys for the info, but my CHECK ENGINE is not burning.
I just checked the speed sensors and they are fine, nothing is damaged.
I tryed driving and this sliding car light burned again, couldnt speed up fast, because it cuts the power, and brake pedal still shakes in the end of the stop.
VSC light wasnt burning now, because I reset it, but I think it will start to burn as I drive more.

I dont know what to do, I believe I´m going to take it to some Lexus specialized shop or dealer.

Any suggestions??

Quick Reply: VSC and BRAKE problem