LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Recomendation Needed - Replacement Subwoofer - 90 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-10, 02:55 PM
Husker1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Recomendation Needed - Replacement Subwoofer - 90 LS400

Looking for people's recommendation for a "current" replacement subwoofer for my 90 Lexus LS400, (Pioneer factory stereo #P626) because a lot of older thread recommended subs are now discontinued and the factory unit is $350 locally.

I am wanting to keep the factory system for now, but would like the option of using the new sub if I update the system in the future. Finally, I'd like it to complement, not over power the system.

Since I have read a ton of old threads on this issue, I have found the tutorial on its replacement and hopefully the following is true as well. It's an 8 inch sub, 2 ohms, 40 watts RMS and needs to be an IB or free air subwoofer if I want it in the stock location. Now I am not an expert on stereo systems nor do I want a lot of extra work with this project, ie cutting back panels, making boxes, etc. I would consider stock but at $350, its a lot for 20 years old technology. Also, I'd prefer one which can come in at low listening levels since I don't listen to my music too loud these days.

Here are three I've found on Crutchfield's website:

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_1...9w.html?tp=111

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-E3GrIwv...inch+sub&ssi=0

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2061CVR...ures_and_specs

Thanks for the recommendations!
Old 05-13-10, 08:59 PM
jeffls400
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Husker,

If your subwoofer is only suffering from a disintegrated rubber surround, a new one rubber surround can be purchased and installed, restoring it to like-new sound. It can be a DIY or a send-off for repair from a company like the below.

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/2doityourself.htm

Jeff
Old 05-13-10, 09:03 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

you're off to a good start.

the infinity is a 10" and will probably need more work to fit.

simple answer: what you should be looking for is a 2 ohm (hard to find)/dual 4 ohm 8" sub with a high qts (.70+ is the generally accpted number for ib), low fs (how deep the sub will play), and high sensitivity (how loud the speaker will get with x amount of power, this can also play in to ohm load... [more complicated] a 2 ohm speaker with 90db sensitivty will get equally loud as a 4 ohm with 93db [+3 db] and the 4 ohm will not run the amp as hard).

that being said, there are a lot of exceptions. image dynamics id8 are proven ib performers. if you are willing to do some trial and error parts express has a ton of oem woofers that are killer bang for the buck (quality equal to main stream brands but priced much better). i bought an old mb quart rwe-204 to try but never installed it really well.

not much help i suppose, probably made things more difficult.
Old 05-14-10, 05:08 AM
iamviolet
Rookie

i went local stereo shop. they put a 10inch sub in an enclosure and put an amp to it...
it sounds great.... and you cant even tell its in the trunk
Old 05-14-10, 03:20 PM
Husker1
Driver School Candidate

Hey all, great ideas! I actually just spoke to a guy with "simplyspeakers.com" and he said they do a lot of repairs to the Toyota avalons which he thought was similar to the 90 lexus sub. One good thing is that my sub still is working, it just distorts when the volume gets too loud or a song happens to have too much base on a recorded CD. He thought it might cost around $40 for repairs.

Looks like I will have to go ahead and pull the subwoofer out to start with and see what condition it's in. I'll also check locally if one of the high end stereo shops may do repairs. There is a lot that seems to go into matching up a good stereo system and I suppose if finding an aftermarket replacement cant be done easily then, repair may be the best solution???

However, Im still open to anyones suggestions on a sub!!
Old 05-15-10, 11:57 AM
AzHotLS
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the ton of threads you read, did you see the one about the Hot Glue Fix?
Old 05-16-10, 10:07 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I replaced my sub with the Polk Audio 8 inch sub and put in a 200 watt amp replacing the old lexus amp I had Fry's electronics do it for about total everything 300.00 and boy does that sub bounce me down the street.It really gives a great sound and it's not over powering.
Old 06-03-10, 11:30 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

i just put a jl audio 8in sub i got for cheap in the factory location. it doesnt hit the way it should do to the huge space of the trunk. the project for this weekend is to build an enclosure to attach to the bottom side of the rear dash to seal it in. im prolly gonna go with ~0.75cf of airspace for it. ill carpet it black and make sure it is sealed to the bottom of the dash. if it goes well and improves the sound enough ill prolly replace it with an mb quart dvc 8in sub. i already have it running from an external amp as i had 2 10's in a box in the trunk, but got tired of the lack of trunk space. i dont need this car super loud. ill try to get pics of it as i build and install it. if i have time ill try to make a board for an amp rack and carpet it and hang it from the rear dash as well. both should be tucked up out of sight unless you stick your head in the trunk and look up.
Old 06-03-10, 04:10 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

I just had a pioneer double din deck installed on my 98 LS. Using a small 100w amp to power the stock sub (replaced the stock amp). So, I'm using the stock speakers all around still and it sounds pretty decent.

Trunk space

Last edited by KilaWombat; 12-22-10 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-22-10, 04:05 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

I'm entertaining the idea of replacing the stock sub with a Rockford Fosgate Punch P2D48 8" sub. However, I have a BB gift card I need to use up, would this sub be ok?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Infinity...&skuId=9897016
Old 12-23-10, 07:59 AM
Bali26
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KilaWombat
I'm entertaining the idea of replacing the stock sub with a Rockford Fosgate Punch P2D48 8" sub. However, I have a BB gift card I need to use up, would this sub be ok?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Infinity...&skuId=9897016
No you need dual voice coil so you can wire them in parallel.
Old 12-23-10, 08:07 AM
williamb82
Advanced

that infinity should do ok, since your running a separate amp the dvc isnt needed.
Old 12-23-10, 09:38 AM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by williamb82
that infinity should do ok, since your running a separate amp the dvc isnt needed.
Thanks, any update on your project?
Old 12-23-10, 12:30 PM
williamb82
Advanced

havent had time to build the enclosure yet. been busy with too much other crap(pulled the engine a couple months ago and replaced just about everything etc...). so currently i still have the box in the trunk. i did change the generic amp for a fosgate 500.1 though. made a nice difference in the quality of the bass.
Old 08-23-11, 01:44 AM
cheesey1x
Driver School Candidate

Sorry Stupid question on an old thread..

Correct me if I am wrong but if I use an 8" replacement free-air sub I should only need a small (200w-300w) mono amp to power it right?no need to 2ch since its a center sub right?

Sorry for the stupid question, car audio is not my forte.

Quick Reply: Recomendation Needed - Replacement Subwoofer - 90 LS400