LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Need new rotors, but from which company?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-10, 08:19 PM
Mugen_1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need new rotors, but from which company?

Okay, so the front rotors on my '97 are warped pretty bad and need to be replaced. The shop I always go to said the "cheap" rotors ($200/pair, including installation) should be avoided, especially with my 20"s. He believed the $315 option, from Wagner, would be my best bet through him (as he doesn't supply anything else). I still have EBC Red Stuff pads on the front, for whatever that's worth.

SO

I figured I'd just get some Brembo blanks since I can get them from Tire Rack, and have them installed, for about $40 less than the Wagner ones. Problem is, I read the reviews of the Brembo blanks on Tire Rack - it seems people are largely dissatisfied with them, saying they don't grip as well as factory, warp easily, and have a fairly short life expectancy.

Most of what I've read on here says to stay away from D/S rotors, for one reason or another, so I've been eliminating those from my searching. I've seen people suggest rotors from R1 Concepts on here, but didn't really see anything as far as how satisfied people were with them. They're in the same price range as the Brembo blanks.

I haven't seen anything from the likes of StopTech or Endless for our cars, but found plenty of EBC and Baer Decela D/S rotors...which, like I said, I'm trying to stay away from unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Your input is appreciated
Old 05-11-10, 08:19 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

www.r1concepts.com i have them on my 95+ brake setup and i dont regret them, affordable price also ($12X for a pair iirc)

slotted with EBC red pads also, and they stop REALLLY good..
Old 05-11-10, 08:42 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Why can't you change the rotors yourself? If you get OEM rotors from Lexus of Pembroke Pines, you'll get them both for about $215 delivered and can put them on yourself in two hours time, taking your very sweet time. All you have to do to take the rotors off is to pop off the two 17mm caliper bolts, slide the calipers and pads out as one assembly, undo any phillips head screws on the rotor hat, and take the rotor off. Very easy job to do, and you'll save money AND get top notch stone-ground OEM rotors in the process.
Old 05-11-10, 08:49 PM
Mugen_1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Thermactor
Why can't you change the rotors yourself?

Because I'm mechanically inept, that's why haha. And brakes aren't exactly a system I want to tackle not knowing exactly what I'm doing.
Old 05-11-10, 09:15 PM
I'mStock
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mugen_1
Because I'm mechanically inept, that's why haha. And brakes aren't exactly a system I want to tackle not knowing exactly what I'm doing.
On a scale of 1 - 10, changing rotors is a 4 if you've never done it. Grab a buddy to help and knock them out, have faith.
Old 05-11-10, 10:48 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

brembo blanks are perfectly fine for our application, i've had them on a few different cars, and as long as you bed them in right they're perfectly fine.
Old 05-11-10, 11:59 PM
Sixdown
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
brembo blanks are perfectly fine for our application, i've had them on a few different cars, and as long as you bed them in right they're perfectly fine.
Agreed. I've used them plenty of times on numerous of my cars and they've lasted pretty long, but that also depends on how you drive. I'd worry more about what brake pads to get. Other good rotor brands are PBR, Centric, and Zimmerman, if they can be found. As far as I know, EBC is better known for brake pads than rotors.
Old 05-12-10, 12:17 AM
Twix
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got myself a pair of EBC 3GD Sport Rotors, and must say extremely satisfied...

Didn't get the EBC brake pads yet, but at the moment running normal OEM brake pads from Lexus dealer...
I just noticed that there is a nice improvement from OEM rotors, doe I drive quite normally (I'm not exactly a "sport" driver) but here where I am, it was more affordable for me to import the rotors from you guys (USA) then to buy them at the local Lexus dealer
Old 05-12-10, 08:12 AM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

i've always been partial to brembo, but recently tried r1 e-line slotted. the reason i decided to give them a shot is they are 1) cut off centric blanks and 2) affordable. from now on if my choice is between brembo blanks and r1 i'll probably go r1. the zinc coating is a real selling point for me (even if you get blanks) and the quality seems to be at least as good. i will continue to stay away from drilled blanks because i don't trust them, however i will be running brembo sport ($$$) cross drilled on my q45.
Old 05-12-10, 09:04 AM
Husker1
Driver School Candidate

If you have the time....... replacing the rotors is a quite rewarding task. Here is a couple links from a 90 LS400 tutorial which may be similar to your 97'.

front pads:
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/brake/fbpad.html

front rotors:
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/brake/fbrotor.html

SSbrakelines:
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/brake/SSbrakelines.html

Which ever rotor you choose, just make sure you use a high quality pad like HAWK HPS, bleed the brake fluid completely, and follow the pad manufactures break in procedures. I believe the tire rack has these on line you can print out. The break in is very very important to proper wear and performance! Good luck!
Old 05-12-10, 11:57 AM
Mugen_1
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for all the responses guys.

It seems it's between Brembo and R1 Concepts blanks. I may end up saving the money to have a shop install them and have one of my friends going to school for automotive tackle the project, probably at the same time we try messing with lowering my car a bit more. Considering doing some exhaust work too, but that'll be a bit further down the road probably.
Old 05-12-10, 01:28 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

come on Mugen u can DIY!!
Old 05-12-10, 01:31 PM
I'mStock
Pole Position

YOU CAN DO EET!

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_t...ace_brakes.htm
Old 05-12-10, 05:53 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

or better yet...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-00-ls400.html
Old 05-12-10, 07:35 PM
Mugen_1
Lexus Test Driver

Well, after reading more reviews on the Brembo units, it looks like I'll probably be giving R1 Concepts a shot.

Now, I just have to figure out which ones - the Eline blanks for $81.20/pair or the Premium blanks for $169.20/pair.

They offer slotted rotors for $121/pair, but since all I've ever read about slotted is that they eat through pads/have short life expectancy/their benefits are a myth, I'm leaving them out of the equation (though they would contribute aesthetically).

Quick Reply: Need new rotors, but from which company?