LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

91 LS400 Tune-up / New Plugs / Struts

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-02, 09:12 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 91 LS400 Tune-up / New Plugs / Struts

Hello All

Well I just bought my 91 LS about 4 weeks ago. It has 114k on in and run and rides great. The car has a perfect service record until 65k. The second owner to it to independent and I do not have a full history. I plan on doing some major service on it not because its running bad but because I feel it best to do preventative maintenance.

I think acceleration might be helped by a new Fuel filter and a transmission service. I know the front struts were replaced at 100k so I feel new rear struts might take out some of the bouncy floaty feel and make it just a little bit tighter?

I went to the my Local Lexus Dealer and mentioned this to him. His immediate response was you do not need to do anything until 120k when your next major service is due. He told me the LS has Titanium plugs and do not need to be done yet. I also mention I wanted to do the Fuel filter, Transmission service and possibly replace the rear struts. He did tell me the 120k service will be around $1,000. ( I think that is a rip off) Also he told me don't mess with the struts that another $1,000. I left there very disappointed.

I have a local shop that will do a 100k mile service , Oil, air, fuel, engine flush, transmission service all for $330. BUT I did not ask about Titanium Plugs. Are those truly necessary??? Plus the rear struts installed for less that $300.

What do you all think. I am not made out of money nor do I wish to just spend money unnecessarily but I figure I can not hurt anything by doing the service.

Any help comments or suggestions will be highly appreciated.

PS next week I am sending my LCD display to Mikado to fix.
Old 06-14-02, 11:04 PM
Pyrotech
Driver School Candidate

thought that they used platinum spark plugs?
Old 06-15-02, 02:43 AM
Lvangundy

Orignally the 1UZ-FE used platinum plugs. Factory Japan denso plugs I belive.

Horta - I plan on doing all this stuff to mine also. I'm gunna go with Denso iridium plugs and Tokico shocks. Don't let the Lexus dealer discourage you, they are told only to do service at the recommended times, unless I'm sure you wantthe pay the extra $$ to have it done immediately. Take it somewhere else that's reputable and have what you want done.

Where can I send the LCD to be replaced? how much is it? my clock is starting to fade.
Old 06-15-02, 02:47 AM
Lvangundy

I'm actually thinking of getting rid of the 90 and going for a 94 or maybe 95 before I do any performance stuff. The 90 was wayyyy to bare for me. Only thing that was added as an option was the full leather seating. I don't have ANY of the power stuff (cept windows and door locks.) sucks..
Old 06-15-02, 06:33 AM
GA400
Lead Lap

Lvangundy,

info on replacing the clock and a/c display here (retrodrive's excellent site == http://www.cureline.net/lex/performance/lcdrepair.txt
Mikado rebuilds the LCD display for $295. It is easy to replace and you need to send in old unit.
Mikado eng.
1435 Hunt Ave.
S. San Francisco 94080

(650)615-9966

From kizoku's post https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&pagenumber=1

capper,
well actually if u want to save money and go w/ mikado do what i did....i charged it on credit card but charge u an extra 100 bucks.....its just a deposit......so that way they mail u the new LCD screen that day and then once u mail your old one back (i mailed mine back after the new one was installed and worked) u get the 100 bucks back......that way u dont hav to go w/out one....

Hope that helps,

rhlight
Old 06-15-02, 06:49 AM
GA400
Lead Lap

Horta,
My LS400 is a 1991 with 200,000 plus miles. Still rides and runs great.
The things you mention wanting to do all sound really good, but, like you said you are not made of money.
For the air filter, the owner's manual is really good at walking you through swapping it out, you could probably save some money there (I think you can get a K&N drop-in filter which will give you a small performance boost and they last forever - just wash them - I put a good NAPA filter in mine last time but I will probably go with the K&N next time) .
A few other posts have mentioned the transmission service being helpful, just make sure they use the T-IV fluid if you go somewhere other than the lexus or toyota dealer.
I swapped out my air filter and poured a couple of bottles of fuel injector cleaner in my gas and my performance increased noticeably.
The fuel filter is right in front of the driver's rear wheel behind a shield. I haven't swapped mine out yet, I will probably have a shop do it - kind of paranoid about spilling fuel and starting a fire somehow
Check on the power steering pump and make sure it is not leaking - a very common problem for this series Lexus - if not fixed it will take out the alternator. If it is leaking, it can be rebuilt.

Do a search on the forums for whatever you are thinking of doing, chances are someone here has done it themselves and can tell you how. I have only been on the forums for a couple of months and it has saved me hundreds of dollars. Very helpful people here.

check retrodrive's site out here http://www.cureline.net/lex/performance.htm
for some other good troubleshooting info

Good Luck,

rhlight
Old 06-15-02, 07:58 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Yeah, the Lexus dealerships try to tax the ***** out of you for labor. I contacted Steve Ganz (thanks Steve) for all the parts I needed for a tune-up and then had the mechanic I use do the labor. I probably could have done most of it myself but I like the assurance of a pro doing it and it wasn't too expensive. To me, it's the best of both worlds. I got the OEM parts and cheaper labor.
Old 06-15-02, 02:22 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

zushwa,

Is Steve Ganz here on the forums or is he a local source for you there in Virginia? Or is that the guy at Carson Toyota that everybody talks about?

thanks,

rhlight
Old 06-15-02, 02:43 PM
Lvangundy

guy in Carson, CA everyone tlkas about ;-)

he's good!
Old 06-16-02, 12:10 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

Lvangundy,

Excellent! Thanks, already found their website and saved it.

rhlight
Old 06-16-02, 06:08 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Thank you for all the advice guys.

I cant wait to get all of this done over the next couple of weeks. I will update you as things get done.

Jerry
Old 06-23-02, 09:16 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Hello All

Well I just finished installing my repaired AC display from Mikado.

What a difference it makes. There service was perfect and are Highly recommended.

Tuesday or Wednesday I am taking the car to the upholster shop to have the front seat recusioned. They feel very flat and mushy right now.

Well Next weekend I will do my 100k service at Tire Kingdom.

Let me know if you all feel this is a good deal.

For $320 they will do:

1. Oil Change and Filter
2. Lub Chassis
3. Rotate Tires
4. Replace Air Filter
5. Replace Fuel Filter
6. Fuel System Cleaning and Induction Service (3 part)
7. Transmission Service
8. Coolant Flush
9. Replace Spark Plugs (Platinum Plugs)
10. Clean and Adjust Rear Brakes - Inspect Brake system
11. Inspect Belts and Hoses
12. Complete Car Physical

I think this is a Great Deal if they do a quality job. They have worked on my old car and my wife RX300 and I am fairly satisfied with their work. I feel for the price I can go to wrong.

Some of you mention to me to "make Sure I get Type IV Transmission Fluid!" Well in looking at my owners manual it says to use Type T-II??

I am also planning of having Tire Kingdom replace my rear struts in hopes of a smother less floaty ride. They quoted me under $300 complete?

Please give me your opinions.
Thanks
Jerry
Old 06-24-02, 12:49 AM
rhayward
Driver

Default DID IT myself

Just bought my car and went to the dealer for info. They looked at me in horror when I told I planned to do a basic tune up myself SPArk plaugs, oil,oil filter, air filter. THey said a professional can change the sparks in an hour and a half. So for me it would take eternity. WELL I showed them. It took about 2-3 hours to do it all going to Kragen and all. My bro has a tundra and his setup is similar to the lexus. So that was a big help. But I saved bucks. I spent only $75.00 for everything and put a high volume oil filter.
Old 06-24-02, 09:28 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

horta,

The price for all that work sounds fair to me, especially if it is a shop you know and trust. Regarding the T-IV, I believe there was a tech bulletin put out later which recommends the T-IV transmission fluid (maybe it is synthetic?). The Alldata service bulletin site mentions it, but i don't have the subscription to see the detail. http://www.alldata.com/TSB/31/91310202.html

I am very curious to know how the rear end suspension work goes, I am thinking of getting the shocks replaced all around at some point.

rhlight
Old 06-25-02, 03:07 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

rhlight

Thank you for the info on the Tranny Fluid type. I will ask for the Type IV.

As far as the rear strut/shocks I cant wait. My previous car was a 96 Chrysler Sebring Convertible. It drove and road smooth as silk for a Chrysler (no comparison to the ride of our Lexus at all!) Well anyways around 70k the car started getting floatty on the highway. I new it was time for new shocks. Well finally at 80k I did replace all four and what a difference! The car was just like new again smooth but firm and the float was gone.

I do understand this is a bigger car and it still may float some but my car has 114k on it and "Supposidly" only the front struts were replace at 100k, I plan on having the shop confirm they are not stock struts.

One comment if and when you get the new struts, they need to be broken in. When I had them done on my old car WOW was I dissapointed when I was driving away from the shop. I took a couple of days for them to break in, and once they did I was smiling from ear to ear.

I will keep you upto date.

PS My car is at the Upholstery shop right now getting the front seat restuffed. Lets hope that goes well!!