LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 Shifter repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-02, 02:18 PM
capper
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS400 Shifter repair

Has anyone found a site that has compatible wood and leather shifters that will fit an LS400? Mine is a 1992 model, and I am in the process of doing the ClubLexus group buy for a wood and leather steering wheel redo (if you haven't done checked this out, and you have a worn wheel, check out the thread...Manaray has worked a great deal for clublexus members on getting a wheel at a fraction of the cost for OEM), would like the shifter to match....anyone tried this or found a company that does it? I know American Stitches will redo the leather, but don't know about adding wood like the newer LS series has on the shifter...thanks for an input, capper

Here's the thread for the group buy on the steering wheels..will save you about 2 grand over the Lexus OEM wheel..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=&postid=323832
Old 06-19-02, 02:07 PM
capper
Rookie

Default Installation of new shifter

If we can find a place to redo or sell us a shifter, I was wondering if any of you had done this before. I talked to my Lexus repair shop and he said it a big deal, because of the way the cable attaches (to the transmission end, rather than the shifter end...so you have to pull up the cable from the transmission, about a three hour deal, according to him)

Anyone have any experience with this...thanks, and if you know of shifters compatible with the LS, please let me know....Capper
Old 06-20-02, 06:24 PM
fusi0n 1er
Rookie

there's this new shiftknob that's excellent but everywhere I go, at least in Los Angeles wants around 150 with installation and they say that installation take around 2 hours. here's the website for them http://www.legend.org/performance/ac...ssories-4.html
Old 06-20-02, 08:02 PM
capper
Rookie

Default these shifters....

Fusi....I didn't see any links to the actual shifters on the link you posted...are they compatible with an LS 400 thread pattern, and what options are there on the styles? It will cost me about 90 bucks just to have my shifter re-leathered, doing the uninstall, and reinstall myself, or $160 for a "wood look and leather"....is there a link to the different styles and which cars they will fit?

Thanks, Capper
Old 06-20-02, 10:16 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is also a wooden shift **** from Levoc,but I do not have the link anymore.
Old 06-21-02, 06:50 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So how hard is it to replace the shifter?
What does it take?
Old 06-21-02, 09:30 AM
capper
Rookie

Default replacing shifter

Loule...I haven't done it yet (anyone tried it out there?), but I think replacing the shifter cover with another just like it (for example, getting the leather refinished and putting it back on) is not that big a deal (one screw forward, one on the passenger side, hold in the overdrive button, push in the shift button and lift up, taking care not to lose the spring attachment on the shift button...

Adding a totally different shifter may be a different story...the lexus dealer told me the cable didn't detach from the shifter , but from the TRANSMISSION, and then you had to snake it all the way up...doesn't sound like fun....

Capper
Old 06-21-02, 11:41 AM
petrojeff
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: replacing shifter

Originally posted by capper
Loule...I haven't done it yet (anyone tried it out there?..doesn't sound like fun....

Capper
In order to remove the shifter cover from the car, the two wires that power the O/D switch need to be cut, leaving enough room to solder them back together upon reinstalling the new cover. AmStitches did my recover, I installed it, and it turned out great. I'm trying to devise a way to refinish my wood plate on my console right now.
Old 06-21-02, 01:23 PM
capper
Rookie

Default shifter removal to Lead Lap...

Thanks for the input...good to hear someone else did it themselves...is there plenty of wire after the OD wire cut in the handle, or did you have to use extraordinary wiring skills to put it back together? I am talking with AmStitch about trying to do the "wood look" and leather for my 1992, but may just go with the leather recover...can you post a picture of yours?

I need to find a beat up used shifter to use while mine is there ( I am trying to send it when I send my steering wheel in the group wood and leather wheel buy).....what did you use while they refinished yours?

Thanks for the input...by the way, nice looking 92 on your profile...what all is in the AMG package...check my profile to see the 17" wheels I just put on mine, I sure like the ride better than my old 15" "camry wheels".....Capper
Old 06-21-02, 02:38 PM
petrojeff
Driver

Default Re: shifter removal to Lead Lap...

Originally posted by capper

I need to find a beat up used shifter to use while mine is there ( I am trying to send it when I send my steering wheel in the group wood and leather wheel buy).....what did you use while they refinished yours?
...check my profile to see the 17" wheels I just put on mine, I sure like the ride better than my old 15" "camry wheels".....Capper
After you cut the wires, you will need to add some length to them before reinstalling. I think I added about 3 inches. I just soldered the additional wire on. There is no need to get a replacement shifter when you send it in. You can leave the shifter exposed and use it as is. You only have to push down the black plastic button when you want to go in reverse. Being from the farm, your wiring skills should be sufficient. My recover was done in Dark Prairie Tan. BTW your black LS is beautiful sure do like the color, and wheels look good. I recently put clear front and rears and added 99 chrome LS wheels on my 92. I will repost in my profile soon. I have attached a pic of my new interior and shifter.
Old 06-21-02, 02:43 PM
petrojeff
Driver

Default Re: Re: shifter removal to Lead Lap...

Originally posted by petrojeff
I have attached a pic of my new interior and shifter.
Attached Thumbnails LS400 Shifter repair-image040.jpg  
Old 06-21-02, 03:00 PM
capper
Rookie

Default Thanks again for the real life redo....

Got it....didn't know if it would work without the cover...will go that route....thanks again, Capper
Old 06-21-02, 05:59 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by loule
So how hard is it to replace the shifter?
What does it take?
hey Loule do you still have the link to the levoc shifter?
Old 06-22-02, 06:07 AM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Originally posted by CELSIOR GOD

hey Loule do you still have the link to the levoc shifter?
Let me get this straight, you're a moderator and you don't know about the SEARCH function???

I'm just busting them for you...

Here you go:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=levoc

Josh
Old 06-22-02, 11:22 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

http://www.napolex.com/main/catalog/levoc.html

Quick Reply: LS400 Shifter repair